Carmack's Final Verdict: XBOX 360 > PS3

tranCendenZ

2[H]4U
http://www.megagames.com/news/html/console/carmackverdictonx360ps3power.shtml

John Carmack of Doom/Quake fame, arguably one of the best programmers of all time, has cast his final verdict on the next-gen console battle - giving the nod to XBOX 360 as being the superior console.

Before any detractors go off trying to indicate Carmack is biased in some way, remember in the past Carmack has never consistently favored one "brand" over another.

Hm...didn't he claim during a video interview during QuakeCon or something that hte preferred the G70?

NumbLock said:
Hm...didn't he claim during a video interview during QuakeCon or something that hte preferred the G70?

What he means is that Carmack is not a fangirl. Its an unbiased opinion.

Great. He's a great programmer ( and mathmatician ), but I think we could find people who would argue the "best" claim.

How this relates to a console is a bit beyond me. He may like the specs better, but who can say which games will come out for either making it a blockbuster? How big would have nintendo have been if FF7 came out for their console ( at the time ) instead of the ps1?

Games make or break most systems, and that boils down to many factors, simple hardware specs rarely tell the full story.

edit: And while he may not have favorites, you certainly seem to. If John jumped of a bridge, would you?

Anyone will tell you that the PS3s memory is faster. (XDR)

Anyone will also tell you that the Xenon, the ATi based, video card is superior to the RSX that is scheduled to be in the PS3.

Hell, this site, as well as Tomshardware and Anandtech, as well as Arstechnica have also stated that the 360s GPU is more powerful.

It sounds like he's saying that the xbox360's development tools are better than the PS3's, not the console itself.

Games drive gamers more than raw horsepower, on which console to get. (Yeah, stating the obvious :) ) Just like halo sold xbox's, ps3 will sell because of whatever they have coming out for it. And I'm getting a 360 because it's coming out first, I like the design and features, has a decent game lineup, etc.

It does boil down to the games but take a step back, many developers base the console they make their games for based on ease of development, and if MS' devkits are much easier as has been said before, than more games will be made for (and at lower cost) than they could be for the ps3.

Techx said:
Games drive gamers more than raw horsepower, on which console to get. (Yeah, stating the obvious :) ) Just like halo sold xbox's, ps3 will sell because of whatever they have coming out for it.
GT5?
And I'm getting a 360 because it's coming out first, I like the design and features, has a decent game lineup, etc.
I want one too, but i don't know if I am willing to shell out all the $$ for it.

Drool I am still drooling. I never bought an x box played a lot but now i definately want a 360. Oh btw i had every system up until the PS2 came out including Dreamcast. Now i definately have the motivation to buy a 360.

carmack:

"i was paid 3 gazillion dollars to port Quake 4 to xbox 360. it's the best, or some shit like that. like my hat? it's made of money"

The power of the system is irrelevant if the programmers can't unlock it. They can have the best ideas in the world but if the development environment is so difficult that they can't implement things the way they want to, then yes game quality will suffer. Companies never have unlimited time and money to develop software, so a better development equates to better games. How often do we see great ideas for games that have downright stupid game mechanics, camera issues, moments when you think "if only you could do this...," etc that totally ruin the experience?

my Xbox is an overrated DVD player. Bought Halo, beat it in a week and really have never touched it since. I like the mouse/ keyboard combination too much to convert.

I don' think I'll be buying either Xbox360 or PS3

chrisf6969 said:
my Xbox is an overrated DVD player. Bought Halo, beat it in a week and really have never touched it since. I like the mouse/ keyboard combination too much to convert.

I don' think I'll be buying either Xbox360 or PS3

That's what mine has turned into. I got it as a gift from my dad, and I played it pretty often for about 2 months. Now I only use it for watching DVDs and the *occasional* game of Madden/NCAA

doesnt the revolution have a physics card in it? I would think that'd be a huge advantage.

As someone already said: I already have computer

More excited for PS3 and revolution....although I will probably buy one 2 years from now ;)
($$$)

I never really cared for what xbox had to offer...so still not crazy about xbox360.

also...xbox360> ps3 if this is true (power house wise) doesn't mean games are better.
If anything they are all equal. who cares.

I don't think I'll be buying either, for what they are, that's raping some serious cash from the consumer. The only thing consoles are good for now is DVDs and racing games perhaps, maybe sports games since you can sit on a couch with you ex-high school football players and "Live the dream".

I must say the xbox360 looks impressive. Although so does the ps3 :). I'm not sure how true this is, but I keep hearing its easier to program games for the xbox360. This should contribute to better games produced at a faster rate on the xbox360 over the ps3 if true.

With the XBOX360 out a lot sooner than the ps3, cheaper than the ps3 (from the gosip I hear), having about the same graphics as the ps3 (only time will tell which as the better graphics), easier to program for than the ps3, and better looking than the ps3 (opinion, I don't like the PS3's George Forman grill look or its boomerang control) my money will go towards the xbox360. Although, if the PS3 comes out with some killer exclusive games I will have to pick that up too.

Fuck Carmack and fuck ID. When they start making actual games with actual innovation, maybe I'll start caring about what platform this guy prefers.

finalgt said:
Fuck Carmack and fuck ID. When they start making actual games with actual innovation, maybe I'll start caring about what platform this guy prefers.

Someone needs a nap.

Actually, yeah, I do. But my opinion on Carmack / D3 / Q4 / iD / Ravensoft / whatever will still be the same when I wake up.

I'm with you. Carmack and ID haven't made a decent game since Quake2. They seem very contra innovative. No wonder he likes the SDK for XB360 better since it's easier to simply port his already made stuff over to the box instead of being really creative for once and make something INNOVATIVE.

ID soft and Carmack were gods once and returned to being average mortals.

BTW, I'm not saying that the XB360 isn't better or worse than PS3 or Revolution. Just saying that i really can't imagine anyone worse than Carmack to make that kind of statement. He's past his prime. See Sid Meier.

Does anyone know if the 360 will offer USB KB + M support like the PS3? I'll buy it if it does, but I won't if it doesn't.

.PS3 is probably marginally more powerful, in terms of raw flops and graphic operations,
So he also claims that the PS3 is more powerful. Considering that Carmack likes to program using OpenGL and the fact that neither MS or ATI have a very good track record with OpenGL I would take this with a grain of salt.

Of course, neither console is out yet and it could be years before we find out which one did better. I will probably end up with both, so I can enjoy a wider range of games.

I'll always be a dedicated pc gamer and haven't owned a console since ps1, but something like the 360 will fit that niche where I can play something fun on a 50" tv with my wife, friends, etc. It's much more social and you probably wind up having more fun since the people your playing are sitting right next to you, as opposed to playing wow with someone in china lol.. you get the point..

beanman101283 said:
It sounds like he's saying that the xbox360's development tools are better than the PS3's, not the console itself.
No he said this.
...PS3 is probably marginally more powerful, in terms of raw flops and graphic operations, but that’s not really the best way to look at things. When you look at these development cycles that stretch over years and years, being 20 per cent easier to develop on is much more important than being 20 per cent more powerful.

Meaning that the extra power the PS3 produces doesn't out weight the 360's ease to develop on. Meaning the easier to develop on the better the games will be.

michealo said:
carmack:

"i was paid 3 gazillion dollars to port Quake 4 to xbox 360. it's the best, or some shit like that. like my hat? it's made of money"

Yea cause that's why Carmack made Doom 3 using OpenGL instead of Microsoft's Direct 3D. Also that's why Carmack didn't use Creative EAX audio when he released Doom 3. It took Creative to force them to release a patch to support EAX.

It's so obvious that Carmack is doing it all for the money. :rolleyes:

finalgt said:

stfunoobbynerdsoup7vr.jpg

This thread is full of many rational viewpoints, being discussed calmly and intelligently. :cool:

DukenukemX said:
No he said this.

Meaning that the extra power the PS3 produces doesn't out weight the 360's ease to develop on. Meaning the easier to develop on the better the games will be.

Yea cause that's why Carmack made Doom 3 using OpenGL instead of Microsoft's Direct 3D. Also that's why Carmack didn't use Creative EAX audio when he released Doom 3. It took Creative to force them to release a patch to support EAX.

It's so obvious that Carmack is doing it all for the money. :rolleyes:

That Picture made me laugh out load at work

People gotta remember that John Carmack is GOD. I'm sure if I look in the bible I'll find some crazy hint that'll link John Carmack as GOD. :p

But seriously. There's a reason why people appreciate John Carmack's opinions. First it isn't biased. This man releases his games source code after a number of years. Allowing anyone to work with it and play around. Also he was the first to do many things in his games before anyone else did.

Besides how many game developers you see make an appearance and give controversial opinions? Well there's Tim Sweeney, Gabe Newell... Ohh yea there isn't many who actually do.

So you may not like his games or ID software. At least he's given you some insight as to what's going on instead of sitting here like f@nboys screaming and kicking and pissing all over what he has to say. Don't tell me his games are tech demos. At some point you've played a game using his engine. You know who you are.

Carmack is a supergenius. I'll take his word for it, but consoles don't interest me at all.

Any console is worthless without games. Right now, my cell phone beats the XBox360 because it has Bejeweled on it. My PS2 rocks all since it has We Love Katamari on it. My 486 is a gaming god since it can play the Ultima VII.

Right now, all the new gaming consoles suck because they don't have a gaming library yet. The PS2 still is a bitch to program on and considered the hardest console to currently develop for, but even with a 20% longer development time it still managed to crank out a few Final Fantasy titles, a Katamari here and there, a Devil or two Maybe Crying, God of War and a few Medal of Honor titles.

So Carmack thinks that the XBox 360 is easier to develop for. Good for him. What is he going to do with it is the better question? Is he going to create a masterpiece or a Big Mutha Trucka title?

Let’s not believe the father of the FPS as we know it, and give him none of the credit he deserves. I’m sure some asshat on the [H]ard forums, who cannot complete a sentence without swearing, knows much more. :rolleyes:

(Professor Frinks sarcasm detector would have exploded, in case you could not guess)

Back