Carmack, the man, the myth, the legend says Rage runs better on....

Xbox360 is at 60 FPS, but at what resolution and quality? I'd really like to know what kind of PC is need for this game to run at 60 fps.

Given what Carmack has said in the past, it's no surprise to me the PS3 version is less optimized at this point in time. The game is at least a year away from shipping.

Xbox360 is at 60 FPS, but at what resolution and quality? I'd really like to know what kind of PC is need for this game to run at 60 fps.

Probably not much. PC's are crushing pretty much all of these console games. It's tough to find much new stuff that even warms up this year old sig rig.

Edge magazine has found that the Xbox 360 version of id Software's shooter Rage matches the PC target of 60 frames-per-second, while the PlayStation 3 currently only manages to run the game at 20-30 FPS, a discrepancy that id's John Carmack does not deny.

hmm

i call bullshit. no way is the 360 version running at 720p at 60fps unless the game looks like shit. not even COD4 runs at 60fps at 720p,.

i call bullshit. no way is the 360 version running at 720p at 60fps unless the game looks like shit. not even COD4 runs at 60fps at 720p,.
This is id you're talking about...

On the subject of the platform differential, it's a non issue I reckon. They'll sort that before it comes to release.

Considering what we've seen out of it from other studios, if 20-30 fps is all they can get, then you're doing it wrong. Sorry, the ps3 does not have less than half the power of the 360. They may be having trouble using it, but saying the console is solely to blame is inaccurate.

Half the framerate!! needs optimizing!! i hope this game is better than their last effort that really was doomed!

This is just what we've been hearing from multi-platform developers all over. The PS3 is different and takes some getting used to. They develop faster on the Xbox360 because of it's similarities to a PC environment, and have to spend more time learning how to put a game on the PS3 for the first time.

How many multi-platform devs actually released a PS3 version that was significantly worse than it's xbox360 counterpart? How many have started a PS3 version and gave up half-way through from the difficulty? The fact that they've already spent money working on it indicates an intent to finish.

Jebus fucking christ, don't get your little panties in a twist, will you?

"He is, however, confident that the PS3 version will match that of all other supported platforms: “Everything is designed as a 60 hertz game. We expect this to be 60 hertz on every supported platform.”

“The work remaining is getting it locked so there’s never a dropped frame or a tear, but we’re confident that we’re going to get that.”
-- http://www.edge-online.com/news/carmack-ps3-performance-lags-behind-360

This is what happens when fanbois try to understand developertalk.

Does this speak to the faults of the PS3 or ID's inability to port correctly?

I read the article and found it very thin. Carmack did say that the rasterizer was slower, but didn't answer why. Thin article, alot of speculation, fodder for the flamewars.

Pretty interesting game because he's even telling PC players that they'll want to use a controller for this game. I'm sure that'll get that forum pissed off...at least if they haven't already boycotted the game because Carmack said he's focusing more on consoles :p

Does this speak to the faults of the PS3 or ID's inability to port correctly?
It's called development time.

Believe it or not, but every 3D game you've ever played has had this problem in production. The game is a ways off - relax, people.

A low end PC with a $55 video card will probably be able to run it as well or better than the 360. Carmack knows how to make PC games, so it won't be an inefficient port.

Neither, it speaks to the faults of people failing to read the article before coming to conclusions.

This. The game isn't close to shipping. It's not a surprise that if they lead on the pc, that the 360 port would be better at this point due to the similar architecture. If the ps3 version is running at shitty fps in a year or whenever this comes out, then maybe we can talk.

well at least id are making an effort, unlike gabe and co!! id be more than happy with a left for dead port on ps3 even if it meant losing shaders etc but im not building my hopes up for an id game, hopefully ill be proved wrong

well at least id are making an effort, unlike gabe and co!! id be more than happy with a left for dead port on ps3 even if it meant losing shaders etc but im not building my hopes up for an id game, hopefully ill be proved wrong

I don't know Rash have you seen the last gameinformer with the Rage screenshots? It looks pretty damn cool.

I don't know Rash have you seen the last gameinformer with the Rage screenshots? It looks pretty damn cool.
im trying to ignore them tbh as i got on the doom 3 hype train and was severely let down. thanks for the advice but im gonna try and hold off as long as poss, the only thing i read was something about the game engine will render the entire leve at once or something.

Everyone on all sides gets their panties in a bunch over Carmack and RAGE/Tech5.

1) Yes, he said that you'd want to play it with a controller. You know what else obviously had controllers in mind for playing? Every fighter in existence. Also Mirror's Edge was pretty obviously controller-centric with its flow and control scheme, yet PC people still love fighters and Mirror's Edge plays just fine on kbm.

2) It's pretty obvious that the PS3 would be last to be polished. Id is a PC developer and started development on Tech5 on the PC. 20-30fps does NOT mean Carmack is implying the PS3 is "half the power of the 360" as Spaceman suggested. One particular part of the machine could be giving them trouble and reducing framerate, while another part might be just as good. Carmack specifically stated that: the RSX is not as powerful but the CPU is the same. The trick that Naughty Dog and Insomnia use is to offload as much processing to the Cells as possible, which is probably what Id is going to focus on now. MGS4's technique was to also add streaming from both the hard drive and the bluray drive simultaneously on top of offloading to Cells. How all those developers use those techniques to make up for the RSX not being as quite powerful as the 360's GPU (which is obvious) is something I don't know, but obviously you can still get incredible results from the PS3.

Will it be sped up? Who knows, but not a good sign for PS3 users. PC/Xbox 360 at 60 fps.

Who knows? They know.

He is, however, confident that the PS3 version will match that of all other supported platforms: “Everything is designed as a 60 hertz game. We expect this to be 60 hertz on every supported platform.”

“The work remaining is getting it locked so there’s never a dropped frame or a tear, but we’re confident that we’re going to get that.”

http://www.edge-online.com/news/carmack-ps3-performance-lags-behind-360

One thing that is for sure, is that 360's will use multiple discs. Sucks for arcade users, who dont have a HD. No installing it to the HD, if there isnt one. But the 360 is so cheap! Well, there is a reason for that...

Doesnt matter to me, Ill be playing it on the PC. If at all.

Last edited:
They already said quite awhile ago that there is storage issues with the 360 and that the texture quality will be less in order to fit it onto DVD's. That may explain why the performance is better, plus it's obviously quite easy to code between the PC and 360, so of course it's further along. Also, because the game is divided up into different segments, they have to put each segment on it's own DVD and it's proving to be a challenge for them because the game is a seamless world and it's not as easy as splitting it up 50/50 or 33/33/33 over spanned disc.

As for the PS3 issue, they made an announcement today that the PS3 version will ship @ 60fps.

I really don't think storage is the issue for texture quality. Video memory more likely is the issue since both PS3 and 360 only have 256mb of total memory in the system. You don't need 50GB of storage to max out the textures.

As far as Rage is concerned, its a wait and see game for me. What has ID done lately?

I really don't think storage is the issue for texture quality. Video memory more likely is the issue since both PS3 and 360 only have 256mb of total memory in the system. You don't need 50GB of storage to max out the textures.

Storage is an issue with megatexture. The assets are huge, uncompressed they've said Rage will have a TB of texture data. Interestingly enough, VRAM is less of an issue. Which is why for the most part, the console textures will look as good as the PC, albeit with lower quality filtering.

As far as Rage is concerned, its a wait and see game for me. What has ID done lately?

Why does ID have to pump out games every year? If they were like Square Enix we would have Doom XIII around the corner.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Why does ID have to pump out games every year? If they were like Square Enix we would have Doom XIII around the corner.
Because its been a very long time since their last excellent inhouse game release

Because its been a very long time since their last excellent inhouse game release

Good things come to those who wait?
Its like people expect great games with ground breaking game engines to just get cranked out in a rapid manner.

Can't wait to see how it's "optimized" on the PS3. How about sub-720p resolution, lower resolution textures, missing decal effects and blurry Quincunx AA à la Ghostbusters. :p

Last edited:
Can't wait to see how it's "optimized" on the PS3. How about sub-720p resolution, lower resolution textures and blurry Quincunx AA à la Ghostbusters. :p
Well considering that's exactly the opposite of what was said about the PS3, I doubt it. :rolleyes:

Can't wait to see how it's "optimized" on the PS3. How about sub-720p resolution, lower resolution textures and blurry Quincunx AA à la Ghostbusters. :p
Well considering that's exactly the opposite of what Carmack himself said about the PS3, I doubt it.:rolleyes:

id has previously stated that the Xbox 360 version of Rage will look worse than its PC and PS3 counterparts due to the limitations of the DVD medium. The studio had hoped to circumvent this by spreading the 360 release across three DVDs, though Microsoft's royalty rates apparently make anything beyond two discs financially impracticable.

Willits' unedited response follows:

"During my talk today I mentioned that we originally wanted to have around 5 or 6 smaller wasteland environments but later decided instead to have 2 larger wastelands. Mostly because we were going to be shipping on two DVDs for the 360 and felt that it would play better with one large wasteland on each disc so there would be no loading between wastelands. Not loading levels while you drive around is a much better decision regardless of platform."

sources - various articles kotaku.com shacknews.com 1up.com

Get over it, the PS3 version is not going to suffer in any way compared to the 360/pc version, it will ship with 1 disc, no swapping and run at 60FPS. The PS3 has been out for 3 years, it's been said hundreds of times by developers talking about games that porting to the PS3 is difficult and is always going to lag behind in dev time because you have to split it up due to the cell. Rage is no different. It's also well known that at lower resolutions (which game consoles run at compared to PC) that having a faster CPU is more important than having a faster GPU. That's exactly where the PS3's power is at. I take this news that the PS3 GPU is slower with a grain of salt because it doesn't really matter at the resolutions the PS3/360 game at.

Touchy, aren't we? I just read all of the carmack comments and he doesn't state anything opposite to what I wrote, just performance targets:
"We are committed to ensuring that gamers on all platforms have a great RAGE experience," developer id said of the "ruckus" in a Twitter update.

Additionally, id tech guru John Carmack, whose admission of lackluster performance sparked the whole debacle, told Edge that "we expect [Rage] to be 60 hertz on every supported platform" and "the work remaining is getting it locked so there's never a dropped frame or a tear, but we're confident that we're going to get that."
"a great RAGE experience" does not mean the same as the 360, in terms of resolution or necessarily even better textures. Looks like the PS3 version will also be nerfed, not due to storage limitations, but because of performance limitations (again). :D

oh great, just another valley for the fanboys to spread their wings, if only they knew the technical part of it.
which they wouldn't give two shits about, nor would they understand it.

i read somewhere,
Quote: maybe they should talk to "Naughty Dog"

Last edited:
"a great RAGE experience" does not mean the same as the 360,

Carmack did say the X360's textures would suffer from lack of storage space.
Although it will be the textures in "out of the way" places.

You know... this is all quite retarded. When it comes out Eurogamer will no doubt do an extremely in depth comparison of the game on both platforms and you can all go at each other until you're quite content.

Back