Carmack states he made a mistake and should have focused on PCs first.

You know, it's funny after watching the video again how a few seconds out of an entire clip unfolded into 4+pages of feuding. It's almost as if the video posted was John interpreted way incorrectly. I mean, even the title of this thread was taken way out of context.

It was just John being John and giving us a great interview about the development cycle during Rage. Oh, how funny things tailspin....:p

Actually the thread title is pretty accurate.

It's accurate, I never said different. But you have to admit that it was blow way out of proportion from what was just a standard interview.

Carmack is not just another standard interview, especially when he is as relaxed and candid as he is in this one.
Carmack is a PC games industry pillar and pioneer, and a genius to boot. That is how I view him anyway!

I feel the frustration expressed here. ID makes great tech, but don't have the talent to make the games that the tech deserves. They also aren't pushing their tech out there like epic does. If they could see the big picture they should be selling engines to everyone, or bring in some talent that can incorporate modern gameplay, art, and stories into their own games. Maybe Rage will be proof that they get it now. we will have to see.

Bethesda is keeping idtech5 in-house, so it won't be able to get the same amount of use as UE3.

Bethesda is keeping idtech5 in-house, so it won't be able to get the same amount of use as UE3.

id Tech 5 can be used by other developers. The condition is that any game made using it has to be published by Bethesda. You're right in that it want get nearly as much use as something like UE3, but I still seeing it being used outside of id.

Hollenshead's opinion now is that Tech 5 is a "competitive advantage and we want to keep it within games we publish -- not necessarily exclusively to id or id titles, but if you're going to make a game with id Tech 5 then it needs to be published by Bethesda, which I think is a fair thing."

Back