Careful with ATI at Best Buy

What gets me is these retailers go thru the trouble of rewraping these returns to pass as new product but they don't do a simple inspection to verify what is returned. :rolleyes:
The retailers are not rewrapping the returns!!!!!!
At least not knowingly....
Whoever puts the returned items back on the shelf does it AGAINST of the store policy.

If the item has been previously returned, it MUST have some kinda sticker on the box!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a friend who worked at best buy and he said a lot of employees would have a family member purchase something (say a HD4870 or a 1TB HDD) for them and they would swap it out for a crappy video card or smaller HDD and return it back. By the time it re-circulates and gets put back in inventory, the store would have no idea which store the return was processed and which employee processed it.

In some ways, newegg sure looks better because of this. However, I am going to open up the box of anything I purchase immediately after I purchase it from now on. :D

Maybe we should all go buy 4870X2s and return the boxes with Geforce4s, FX 5200s, whatever crappy cards you can find lying around. Then this will be remedied quickly :D

Yeah. I know a guy bought a 4870 512mb from best buy on a price mismatch for $180 and he then returned the box with his old X850xt in it and they gave him another card.

He got 2x 4870's for $180 day after launch. It's a shitty thing to do but it just goes to show you how stupid people who work at best buy are.

Yeah. I know a guy bought a 4870 512mb from best buy on a price mismatch for $180 and he then returned the box with his old X850xt in it and they gave him another card.

He got 2x 4870's for $180 day after launch. It's a shitty thing to do but it just goes to show you how stupid people who work at best buy are.
also goes to show you how shitty and dishonest customers can be...

I returned an HD4850 today at bestbuy.

The girl that processed my refund opened the box, took a look at the card, did not even check the model/serial to match the box at all and closed the box. I wouldn't be surprised if I put a banana in there and she would do the same thing lol.

They are clueless sadly.

The girl that processed my refund opened the box, took a look at the card, did not even check the model/serial to match the box at all and closed the box. I wouldn't be surprised if I put a banana in there and she would do the same thing lol.

They are clueless sadly.

hehe. they can at least tell a banana is not a video card, right? or would they think its one for donkey kong? :D :p

also goes to show you how shitty and dishonest customers can be...

Seriously, you have to be a complete shit bag and low life to pull something like that off. How about working for a living and earning those video cards. Stupid low life thieves.

I had something like this happen to me, though not as serve as getting a X1900XT instead of a HD4870, i got a HD4650 512mb card from bestbuy.. it actually turned out be a 1GB card...

I had something like this happen to me, though not as serve as getting a X1900XT instead of a HD4870, i got a HD4650 512mb card from bestbuy.. it actually turned out be a 1GB card...

ouch, 4650... what a step down...

They are clueless sadly.

Q F T, I bought a 9800gt and took it back the same day, the dude took it out of the box looked at the card inside of the bubble wrap and ESD bag surrounded by cardboard and gave me back my money. I'm not a thief, but man I could be at that joint...

Could be an isolated incident. I got my 4850 @ BB in September and it was as expected.

i use to work at best buy in the past , people would fool customer service all the time an return there old card in the box , its a shame

People did this at sams club ALL the time and I would prove to the manager that it was indeed the wrong product and they still give the person a refund or a new one.

Heck, I had a guy once return some DDR ram that was certain not DDR or even SDRam for that matter. 72pin EDO sure looks a LOT different. I even pulled out one of those HUGE how to repair your PC books and showed the manager to pin outs and everything just to make sure he wasn't a complete idiot. (cause you all know they are visual SO different) Manager gives the guy a new set of DDR memory. 2 for the price of one.

Fools, then they complain about how much Shrink they have and we need to do more about it. So glad I no longer work in retail.......

People did this at sams club ALL the time and I would prove to the manager that it was indeed the wrong product and they still give the person a refund or a new one.

Heck, I had a guy once return some DDR ram that was certain not DDR or even SDRam for that matter. 72pin EDO sure looks a LOT different. I even pulled out one of those HUGE how to repair your PC books and showed the manager to pin outs and everything just to make sure he wasn't a complete idiot. (cause you all know they are visual SO different) Manager gives the guy a new set of DDR memory. 2 for the price of one.

Fools, then they complain about how much Shrink they have and we need to do more about it. So glad I no longer work in retail.......

lol, reminds me of too many memories from the Sam's Club I worked at. I didn't work electronics or service, but still talked to them and heard about the things we would take back.

There were several occasions where someone would return a 40+" tv with bricks, no I'm not kidding, inside the box. No one would look inside to even verify that there was a tv in there to begin with. This usually happened because for the 4 years I worked there we were so under staffed it was pathetic. There was even one person who transferred to our club from a club near home office and said that he'd never seen a club so under staffed all the years he had been working for Sam's Club. There was even a time when the lost prevention regional manager was there that we caught someone at the door trying to steal a bunch of stuff. The front end manager caught the person and then got lectured by the lost prevention manager about how she should have let him walk out the door so the company could have brought charges again him since. How pathetic is that and yes that is a real story straight from the manager's mouth and a couple others who where there when it happened.

With video cards, it is easy enough, simply because of how many different makes/models/versions of them.

If they would simply scan the serial number on the recipt, and then check the cards serial on a return, would cut down on about 75% of the instances like this.

I believe fry's eletronics checks serial numbers when they sell the items.

I picked up a BFG power supply at BestBuy a couple months ago - except in the sealed box I found a Dell branded piece of crap. I was more than a little peeved.

jesus thats made me well paranoid now, time to leave the digi cam recording on the side when i open my new boxes lol

wow, bestbuys and ati WTF? then again can understand customers being scammers.

This was a plain and simple case of cards mispacked by VisionTek. Starting with ATI's acquisition by AMD, VisionTek also started manfacturing ATI-branded/BBA cards (with ATI warranties); several older AGP/PCIe/PCI cards (primarily X1K series and X-series) fall into this category. (My mom has my old X1650 Pro AGP that is one of these; I bought it at BB in 2006.) VisionTek also sells ATI-chipset cards under the VisionTek name; these are covered by VisionTek's lifetime warranty. In 2006, and starting in late 2008, you have both ATI-branded *and* VisionTek-branded cards both in BestBuy's inventory at the same time (the only other brick-and-mortar retailer to carry both brands is MicroCenter). It's entirely possible that these were cards originally intended to carry the ATI brand that were mispacked in Visiontek boxes (remember; both products come off the same assembly line and are packed by the same folks).

Back