Career Advice in IT Infrastructure

NyteBlade

Weaksauce
It was just 3 years ago, I, a fledgling Computer Science major came here to ask for advice on career opportunities, and despite my rather murky idea of what I wanted to do, I received some excellent advice from you guys. So 3 years later, with some more specific ideas, hopefully I can get some more excellent advice...

I stuck with CS and graduate in the spring with a bachelors degree. Through a couple of internships, I realized I absolutely hate software testing, I'm not enamored with software engineering, and I'd rather live in a cardboard box than working in a position where not being at a computer is not being productive. I found I actually sort of envied the IT guys...

I really enjoy "greasemonkeying" with computers (building, upgrading, the smell of new parts...). Designing and implementing IT solutions both for servers and desktops sounds really sort of neat. Questions like 'How should we back up our data?' 'How should we expand server power?' etc. interest me far more than the stereotypical 'How would I design this piece of software?' CS-type things do.

So my question is, do jobs like this exist? Is there something out there where I can work with and design high-level IT architecture that'll keep me from being chained to a desk constantly, and avoiding being too involved with the "gritty" systems-administration type tasks (setting up security, adding user accounts etc.). I assume a position like that would be more consulting with multiple outside companies with regards to their IT architecture rather than working inside a single company. I wouldn't mind moving into a management/purely consulting role at some point if the opportunity presented itself.

Is 'IT Infrastructure' an appropriate term? I'd optimistically have a CS degree and a couple years of "gopher" work maintaining VMs for software development. Is there any certifications that would help me out, or any "angle" that I should look into to find gainful employment?

Appreciate any advice!

Probably shoulda switched to a CIS type degree.

You're definitely talking consulting if you want to architect new networks. Usually you'll be fixing people's already existing crappily set up networks though.

Usually when you're talking about systems design or engineering, you are focusing in on one aspects like servers or database or networking, etc. You may want to pick a path and go with it. Obviously for networks, Cisco is the way to go.

For the others, I'm not so sure on certs. You need to get into the field asap though as work experience is really what companies are looking for when it comes to systems folks.

If you're talking about being cross-platform, cross-domain, multifunctional, etc.. i think the desired profession you're describing is a solutions architect. This involves being disciplined in multiple areas of IT with multiple roles of problem solving and design.

correct me if I'm wrong, though.

I did a 2 year AAB in Computer Network Administration, took more classes primarily in business and IT and wound up with a Bachelor's degree.
Software has never interested me so I did not go to the computer science/engineering route. I'm a hardware guy through and through.
I've been network administrator for a manufacturing company going on three months now.
I am the front line for all support throughout the company: desktops, copiers, printers, servers, phone system, network gear. I install all of the various software packages throughout the company, which are supported by the software vendor or our in-house programmer.
It's an interesting job and it changes every 15 minutes!

Systems or network administration would work well for you especially in a consulting role. Keeping yourself active day to day will depend on the company you're with but the higher up you progress on the career ladder the less grunt work you traditional do. Most people like it that way. You might like data center work if the DC is buy and you're installing/upgrading systems daily versus just waiting for monitoring systems to turn red.

Go work for a Manages Service Provider (MSP). What you want to do is exactly what they do. A combination of day to day helpdesk type stuff as well as infrastructure planning and deployment.

Alternatively a sysadmin job in a small to medium sized company would work well, however your job will be more helpdesk and upkeep then deploying new systems.

First, it's better you stuck with CS. Generally speaking, it's a very well respected major. I did computer engineering, and I shit you not ... in my latest interview I was asked all kinds of programming/algorithm questions even though I'm a network architect/engineer. I've been one ever since I got out of college 3 years ago and I have 0 regrets for not doing a "CS/CE" job in terms of everything (how fun the job is, where my career is going, compensation, etc)

Some places, albeit a bit snobby, will always prefer CS/CE over IT majors. It is what it is. Having said that, I've interviewed a bunch of CS/CEs that suck at networking.

If you feel you have a solid background in binary math, like figuring out how shit works without people telling you, fixing shit on the spot with everyone putting pressure on you, and like big toys ... I think network engineering is a good fit for you. It's difficult at first, but once you do all the reading, labbing, and get experience (like all of the stuff you did in college) it becomes second nature. Plus, most people are afraid of routers so it's good job security.

You'll probably have to start somewhere small first and then I recommend working for a corp ... and then leaving once you get enough experience there.

Honestly, if you're good with big-picture operations like network design, resilient systems, able to pull off server administration, and can do some database, systems and integration coding, you're dynamite. You can pretty much chameleon yourself into whatever position best fits your life. If you can mix in some business or management background, all the better. Another side benefit of a CS/CE degree for an employer is that your math background is likely much more rigorous than other similar degrees, so you'd be no stranger to quantitative analysis and advanced design planning.

I'm not sure I believe in the degree qualifications angle too much. Maybe I am wrong but here in the UK there have been a few studies showing that a degree doesn't make that much difference to someone who starts at the bottom and works their way up and taking some specific technology qualifications. Most of these aren't worth that much in some people's opinion (maybe most) but for me at least it proves someone took the effort to sit down and learn.

Networks is probably the best place to get into imho because the change is slower than in other areas. Whatever the operating model networking is always required.

It was just 3 years ago, I, a fledgling Computer Science major came here to ask for advice on career opportunities, and despite my rather murky idea of what I wanted to do, I received some excellent advice from you guys. So 3 years later, with some more specific ideas, hopefully I can get some more excellent advice...

I stuck with CS and graduate in the spring with a bachelors degree. Through a couple of internships, I realized I absolutely hate software testing, I'm not enamored with software engineering, and I'd rather live in a cardboard box than working in a position where not being at a computer is not being productive. I found I actually sort of envied the IT guys...

I really enjoy "greasemonkeying" with computers (building, upgrading, the smell of new parts...). Designing and implementing IT solutions both for servers and desktops sounds really sort of neat. Questions like 'How should we back up our data?' 'How should we expand server power?' etc. interest me far more than the stereotypical 'How would I design this piece of software?' CS-type things do.

So my question is, do jobs like this exist? Is there something out there where I can work with and design high-level IT architecture that'll keep me from being chained to a desk constantly, and avoiding being too involved with the "gritty" systems-administration type tasks (setting up security, adding user accounts etc.). I assume a position like that would be more consulting with multiple outside companies with regards to their IT architecture rather than working inside a single company. I wouldn't mind moving into a management/purely consulting role at some point if the opportunity presented itself.

Is 'IT Infrastructure' an appropriate term? I'd optimistically have a CS degree and a couple years of "gopher" work maintaining VMs for software development. Is there any certifications that would help me out, or any "angle" that I should look into to find gainful employment?

Appreciate any advice!

After 10 years.... the best advice I can give you is this.

Go find a job where you have to live capture tigers and shave their testicles with an old razor, and then disinfect with alcohol.

I'm not sure I believe in the degree qualifications angle too much. Maybe I am wrong but here in the UK there have been a few studies showing that a degree doesn't make that much difference to someone who starts at the bottom and works their way up and taking some specific technology qualifications. Most of these aren't worth that much in some people's opinion (maybe most) but for me at least it proves someone took the effort to sit down and learn.

Networks is probably the best place to get into imho because the change is slower than in other areas. Whatever the operating model networking is always required.

Depends a lot on the place that's hiring. If they have a crack team of recruiters and interviewers, they can find the people that will get the job done and do it great, based on skills and the ability to learn, rather than some formal criteria. This would be more along the lines of startups and silicon valley.

However, some places don't have that kind of skill or ability in the HR sense OR, if the talent pool is large enough and the position is not highly specific, they can filter their applicants to the degree pool first. In this economy, having a degree is better than not having a degree, but relevant and recognized certification or prior experience would probably help a lot more than the college degree alone. Just some icing on the cake. Between taking a position that would directly benefit my career and getting me relevant experience and school, I'd always choose the job.

[edit]: or choose both. can always school part time.

Back