Cardinals Scout Sentenced To Prison For Hacking Astros

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Chris Correa, the former scouting director for the St. Louis Cardinals, will be in prison for nearly four years for hacking the Houston Astros' player-personnel database and email system. Correa viewed a scouting list of every player in the 2013 draft, trade discussions, player bonus details, and stats and information on performance and injuries by the team's minor-league prospects—basically every facet of the team's scouting operations.

Christopher Correa had pleaded guilty in January to five counts of unauthorized access of a protected computer from 2013 to at least 2014, the same year he was promoted to director of baseball development in St. Louis. He was fired last summer and now faces 46 months behind bars and a court order to pay $279,038 in restitution. He had faced up to five years in prison on each count. Correa read a letter in court before he was sentenced by U.S. District Court Judge Lynn Hughes and he said he was "overwhelmed with remorse and regret for my actions." "I violated my values and it was wrong ... I behaved shamefully," he said. "The whole episode represents the worst thing I've done in my life by far."

4 Years? Jeez, a lot of violent crimes criminals don't get that much time. Seems pretty damn extreme to me.

4 Years? Jeez, a lot of violent crimes criminals don't get that much time. Seems pretty damn extreme to me.

Is that an indictment of the sentence he received-- which I believe is appropriate for the number of laws he broke-- or of the too-short sentences some violent criminals receive?

Is that an indictment of the sentence he received-- which I believe is appropriate for the number of laws he broke-- or of the too-short sentences some violent criminals receive?

I'll chime in on this: prison should be reserved for violent offenses, treason and the absolute worst financial crimes (think Enron). Four years for this will not only completely ruin this guys life, it will suck back almost $200,000 of taxpayer money over the course of his incarceration.

Fine, community service, and the loss of job is more than enough punishment.

He has to goto jail or people keep doing this shit. 4 years, ridiculous, especially compared to violent crimes. Maybe the sentence could fluctuate according to the damages done.

I see so many slaps on the wrist for other "hacking" crimes, especially ones that are done with malice. This just seems to be an outlier on the sentence + fine.

It's actually similar to Industrial espionage, and they take that very seriously.

If you're going to do something illegal don't get caught. Or better yet. Don't do it in the first place. But people let their greed or stupidity get the best of them and then they make very stupid mistakes.

I'll chime in on this: prison should be reserved for violent offenses, treason and the absolute worst financial crimes (think Enron). Four years for this will not only completely ruin this guys life, it will suck back almost $200,000 of taxpayer money over the course of his incarceration.

Fine, community service, and the loss of job is more than enough punishment.

Where do you put guys like this profiting massive sums, fortunes and futures of an organization then? This isn't a lil hack lol.

Where do you put guys like this profiting massive sums, fortunes and futures of an organization then? This isn't a lil hack lol.

This guy didn't embezzle millions or drain the pension fund of a company. At worst this is a case of corporate espionage that went way too far.

Prison should be a last resort to keep people who are literally a danger to society if they left out in the wild. Eg: They're likely to hurt someone, or likely to repeat the offence if they're not insulated from the world.

In all other cases sentencing should be restricted to unpaid work, community service, or a fine.

Enter password:
baseball
*access granted*

upload_2016-7-20_10-17-10.png

Really? You'll have to forgive me for thinking that's a load of shit. Some sources would help.

I tried to find the most liberal source for you:
Roberto Galo killed a guy. Deport him.

"On Nov. 16, 2010, an unlicensed driver named Roberto Galo took a left turn at Harrison and 16th streets and hit motorcyclist Drew Rosenberg. After Galo then backed over Rosenberg's body, the law-school student died. A jury convicted Galo for manslaughter and driving without a license. After serving 43 days in jail, he was released on home detention."

I forgive you.

"On Nov. 16, 2010, an unlicensed driver named Roberto Galo took a left turn at Harrison and 16th streets and hit motorcyclist Drew Rosenberg. After Galo then backed over Rosenberg's body, the law-school student died. A jury convicted Galo for manslaughter and driving without a license. After serving 43 days in jail, he was released on home detention."

I forgive you.

That is fucked up.

I forgive you.

That a very outrageous example of injustice, but you were speaking of illegal aliens. Roberto Galo was a legal immigrant.

illegal aliens can murder americans and get less time than that

Ohhh crap, you are right homey! Those bastards at Wounded Knee totally were descendants of illegal immigrants and massacred the crap out of those Lakotas! And the bastards got MEDALS for that!!!!

I dunno, I doubt it will be four years in some nasty prison, it will probably be four years in one of those low security prisons that's more like having to stay at a cheap hotel. He'll live in a hotel for four years and likely still be rich when he's released.

I say, you Americans impose that large monetary fine and order him to ten lashings... in front of an Astro's home crowd game.

I forgive you.

Forgive me for what? Legal immigrant = illegal immigrant? Also, a cursory search on Google reveals that Galo was eventually deported later that year.

But please, tell me more about the big, bad criminals who are getting off lightly with murder.

Also, I got a good chuckle out of you assuming I'm liberal. You're part of the reason why this country is in the shitter politics wise.

I dunno, I doubt it will be four years in some nasty prison, it will probably be four years in one of those low security prisons that's more like having to stay at a cheap hotel. He'll live in a hotel for four years and likely still be rich when he's released.

I say, you Americans impose that large monetary fine and order him to ten lashings... in front of an Astro's home crowd game.

I remember reading a book not too long ago, which made a very good case for flogging criminals, instead of sending them to prison. Basically the person would decide if they'd take being flogged, say, 10 times, vs being incarcerated for 5 years.

Of course, it would all depend on a case by case basis (murderers, rapists, etc wouldn't have the option, and would be incarcerated). Ethically, flogging doesn't fly, but the author emphasized more the ability to have a choice.

illegal aliens can murder americans and get less time than that

You might as well at this point renoune your US citizenship, hop over the border into mexico, then illegally cross back into the US and claim refugee status and watch the freebies rain down on you. With sanctuary cities being what they are, you should have no problem living a semi-decent life doing almost nothing for very little effort on the backs of tax paying citizens. Someone is going to do a documentary of this, you watch.

You might as well at this point renoune your US citizenship, hop over the border into mexico, then illegally cross back into the US and claim refugee status and watch the freebies rain down on you. With sanctuary cities being what they are, you should have no problem living a semi-decent life doing almost nothing for very little effort on the backs of tax paying citizens. Someone is going to do a documentary of this, you watch.

but...but... I like paying my taxes so that the illegal aliens that are in my country illegally can get free healthcare and education!

Ohhh crap, you are right homey! Those bastards at Wounded Knee totally were descendants of illegal immigrants and massacred the crap out of those Lakotas! And the bastards got MEDALS for that!!!!

thank you for the lol. they should have mowed them all down.

Back