Card to run Oblivion everything highest

Oblivion isn't a sequel to Morrowind - it has some similar elements, but it's a new story. What I love about the combat system is that there won't be any super-powerful enemies and they will scale down to match your level so you'll never feel like you're too weak, according to what I've read.

I upgraded my x800XL to an x1800XL in hopes of playing the game at 1280 x 1024 maxed out. I might get a 4400+ and/or an x1900XT in the next few months because I want a 20.1" widescreen LCD.

I'm not convinced this game will be as GPU bound as Bethesda would have us believe. I can tell you that to get the best settings such as full HDR and full draw distance you will need at least a 7800/X1800 series. I can tell you that a 6600GT with a decent athlon XP processor runs the game at around 20 fps.

640/480 does not look the same as 1600/1200 or 1280/960. Once you drop below 1024 resolution becomes painfully obvious.

PCMusicGuy said:
I'm not convinced this game will be as GPU bound as Bethesda would have us believe. I can tell you that to get the best settings such as full HDR and full draw distance you will need at least a 7800/X1800 series. I can tell you that a 6600GT with a decent athlon XP processor runs the game at around 20 fps.

Beta tester? :)

If a 7800GT cannot run the game at max settings(or near max) on 1280x1024 then they should go back and work on it a bit more :)

Obi_Kwiet said:
Beta tester? :)

If so, it'd be nice if someone would mention if the game supported any advanced EAX modes.

That's what I'm REALLY wondering about. Graphics get all the headlines, so we can all rest assured that the game will run on mainstream PCs, if not great; and will run GREAT on cutting-edge graphics cards.

But that doesn't tell us how it will sound. Is this an EAX1/2-only game? Or does it bring on the occlusion effects and such of newer EAX versions?

One of the weird things about 'Morrowind' being EAX1/2 only was that you could start chatting with someone in front of a building, and walk around the side of the building so they are no longer in your line-of-sight, yet you still hear their voice coming from the direction they are in, at the distance they are, as if no building was there at all.

It'd be nice to see introduced to the series some of the effects the newer Soundblaster cards support!

Rofl-Mic-Lofl said:
If a 7800GT cannot run the game at max settings(or near max) on 1280x1024 then they should go back and work on it a bit more :)

:confused:

Ummmm....why? The 7800GT will be a 'last-gen' part by the time 'Oblivion' hits. Why would you expect merely a midrange last-gen card to run max settings on a next-gen title?

dderidex said:
If so, it'd be nice if someone would mention if the game supported any advanced EAX modes.

That's what I'm REALLY wondering about. Graphics get all the headlines, so we can all rest assured that the game will run on mainstream PCs, if not great; and will run GREAT on cutting-edge graphics cards.

But that doesn't tell us how it will sound. Is this an EAX1/2-only game? Or does it bring on the occlusion effects and such of newer EAX versions?

One of the weird things about 'Morrowind' being EAX1/2 only was that you could start chatting with someone in front of a building, and walk around the side of the building so they are no longer in your line-of-sight, yet you still hear their voice coming from the direction they are in, at the distance they are, as if no building was there at all.

It'd be nice to see introduced to the series some of the effects the newer Soundblaster cards support!

Ummmm....why? The 7800GT will be a 'last-gen' part by the time 'Oblivion' hits. Why would you expect merely a midrange last-gen card to run max settings on a next-gen title?

yeah and hopefully it will utilize the Xram on the XFi

dderidex said:

6600GT can nearly run CoD2 on all settings.

Rofl-Mic-Lofl said:
6600GT can nearly run CoD2 on all settings.

How MANY 6600GTs? I had a 7800GT and could barely run CoD2 satisfactorily manner. Certainly not with all settings "maxed"!

Heck, take a look at XBitLab's numbers. All settings maxed on a 7800GT (to include setting FSAA at 4xAA in-game...not even the max, but close enough) it averages only 36fps at 1280x1024...which is really not enough for a multiplayer shooter.

At the same res and settings, a single 6600GT is doing around 15 fps on average.

Hmm, well I ran a Radeon 9200 for many years (Hell, I played Doom3 on that card), and then I upgraded to a X700 AGP on Black Friday. I expect to play Oblivion at 800x600, no AA/AF (I've pretty much never enabled those in my life), shadows @ low, and other options at medium/high. (I usually emphasize textures at high). IMO, that would be enjoyable enough for most people.

I'm just going to buy a 7900GTX or a Radeon X1900XT, both of those cards will run Oblivion well it's just a question of which will run it the best.

The game does not support EAX at all but does support 5.1 surround sound. About the 20 fps on the 6600GT, that was at 1280 x 720. Also, this game running on a P4 3.4 GHz with an X1900 XT at 1280x768 and anti-aliasing turned off still stutters some. The devs are still working out performance issues. This is most likely because of the Gamebryo engine. But alas, this may be a necessary evil given the modding capabilities that will come with this type of game design.

PCMusicGuy said:
The game does not support EAX at all but does support 5.1 surround sound. About the 20 fps on the 6600GT, that was at 1280 x 720. Also, this game running on a P4 3.4 GHz with an X1900 XT at 1280x768 and anti-aliasing turned off still stutters some. The devs are still working out performance issues. This is most likely because of the Gamebryo engine. But alas, this may be a necessary evil given the modding capabilities that will come with this type of game design.

Fortinitly the gamebryo engine is now much more refined then the one they used in Morrowind, even on top machines now morrowind dips into the 30s with everything cranked up, although Morrowind doesn't take much graphics power so it won't make much of a difference if your using a 9800pro or a X1900XTX Crossfire.

PCMusicGuy said:
That dell machine doesn't do the X1900XT justice. They should've tested it on an AMD X2 system with the same video card. I bet it would run alot better.

PCMusicGuy said:
But alas, this may be a necessary evil given the modding capabilities that will come with this type of game design.

What is this supposed to mean? Being able to modify data means horrifically slow performance? We're to believe that the mere fact that one can change the dialog of a character results in overall framerates to nosedive into borderline playability on the burliest machine one can muster?

I'm getting tired of listening to those that pretend to be beta testers. Testing, at this point, is internal, and if you were indeed a tester, you'd be under non-disclosure.

PCMusicGuy said:

That was also on an old build, the newer builds don't really have much stutering at all, just read some new previews.

phide said:
What is this supposed to mean? Being able to modify data means horrifically slow performance? We're to believe that the mere fact that one can change the dialog of a character results in overall framerates to nosedive into borderline playability on the burliest machine one can muster?

I'm getting tired of listening to those that pretend to be beta testers. Testing, at this point, is internal, and if you were indeed a tester, you'd be under non-disclosure.

Relax. I am not a beta tester and never claimed to be. I've just followed the development of this game closely. We can also change a hell of a lot more than just the dialog of a character. We can essentially create a new game based on Oblivions engine changing models, animations, textures, etc. all through the supplied construction set. I believe this is possible mainly because of the Gamebryo engine and the construction set. If you know of another engine that allows this type of flexibility and modding potential with a relatively simple skill set, please point it out to the Bethesda developers.

My 7800GT runs cod2all on extra on 1280x1024 and I hit avg of 50fps, smoke nades tear up FPS though!

My friend with 6600GT runs it on 1024x768 on high and can hit good frame rates.(maybe I shoudlve specifided it wasnt 1280x1024?)

I see no reason why a 7800GT shouldn't be able to run decently high settings on oblivion.

Something many of you forget is the gameplay. COD2 runs fine on my way OC'd 7800GS at 1280x960, with settings pretty high. I get 30-40 fps and lower with the nades, but 60fps is only important for the fast paced DM games, you don't need that kind of fps for most war games especially not COD2. Same with morrowind my original video card (8500) ran it fine at 1024x768 with 20-30 fps. RPGS especially do not need more than 25-35 fps to run well. Same with rts, and adventure games. If you get anything over 25 fps on Oblivion you'll be able to enjoy the game fine.

Oblivion will be horribly optimized. That always happens to these huge games. The 360 version runs at 30 Frames per second for gods sake and it has a x1900xtx type gpu. Sure the lack of ram could be blamed for this.

This game will run like crap on almost any setup I see it coming. I'm trying to be hopeful though. One dev said it ran really well on his 9XXX ATI card and his 3 year old pc. I call bullshit though.

PCMusicGuy said:
We can essentially create a new game based on Oblivions engine changing models, animations, textures, etc. all through the supplied construction set.

Sure can. You can do the same using the original Quake engine - it just end up being a bit trickier. The question here is really performance. Is the GameBryo platform valuable for its ability to make adding assets easier? Sure. Is a fairly streamlined development process vastly more important than end user playability? No. From all indications, it's a piss poor platform.

Unreal Engine now has a very advanced and intuitive toolset, and has for a fair amount of time. In terms of "ease of development", we'll say that working on the Gamebryo engine is better. But nobody here could ever look you in the eye and say that Unreal Engine is a poor performer. The memory management is fantastic, the renderer is smooth, the capabilities are, like most engines, practically endless.

It's not as if choosing one engine over the other limits modding capabilities. There aren't any specific reasons why one can't build the Construction Set as a limited extension of the Unreal Engine.

furocious said:
Something many of you forget is the gameplay. COD2 runs fine on my way OC'd 7800GS at 1280x960, with settings pretty high. I get 30-40 fps and lower with the nades, but 60fps is only important for the fast paced DM games, you don't need that kind of fps for most war games especially not COD2. Same with morrowind my original video card (8500) ran it fine at 1024x768 with 20-30 fps. RPGS especially do not need more than 25-35 fps to run well. Same with rts, and adventure games. If you get anything over 25 fps on Oblivion you'll be able to enjoy the game fine.

But Oblivion will be a first person RPG with active combat where you can actually do shit, it wouldn't be very fun to have active combat at 20fps.

People way underestimate what it's going to take to run Oblivion full out. From the VE3D preview:

The rig they set me up on was a powerhouse--a Dell 3.4GHz packed with an ATI X1900 512MB card. The video settings were set at a modest 1280x768 and anti-aliasing was turned off. There were some occasional stutters, and I could (albeit on rare occasions) see some stitching lines between textures. Performance seemed pretty similar for this machine as it was for the Xbox 360s running Oblivion on the other side of the room.

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/691/691326p2.html

Although he did not specify what the stutters were, they could have been from loading the next outdoor cell, which won't be as bad for those with dual core CPU's. I still think that anyone with less than SLI'd 256gtx's is going to have a hard time running it full out.

I don't know why people expect great peformance out of this game, it's an RPG so it right away has a much higher overhead than a typical shooter. You can also pretty much see as far as the edge of the map if you're high enough.

Why is it poorly coded if it has steep system requirements?

It may not have had enough RAM. That's often a cause of stutters.

BTW, my 7800GT get only ~25fps with CoD2 maxed @ 1680 x 1050. Changing the settigns doesn't have much of an effect on performance either.

Obi_Kwiet said:
It may not have had enough RAM. That's often a cause of stutters.

BTW, my 7800GT get only ~25fps with CoD2 maxed @ 1680 x 1050. Changing the settigns doesn't have much of an effect on performance either.

I really don't think that they'd have been skimpy with the RAM on that rig.

werrd yes it is first person, but the crosshair for a fireball, or arrow isn't going to be as hard to hit as crazed aliens in quake 4 for example. The enemies will not be jumping around or nearly as difficult to hit as they can be in the typical fps game. The radius of damage for magic is also much greater than the gun slinging you do in most games. Despites its first person "action" it will not require more than 25-35 fps to enjoy. And i said 25-35, not 20. :}

furocious said:
werrd yes it is first person, but the crosshair for a fireball, or arrow isn't going to be as hard to hit as crazed aliens in quake 4 for example. The enemies will not be jumping around or nearly as difficult to hit as they can be in the typical fps game. The radius of damage for magic is also much greater than the gun slinging you do in most games. Despites its first person "action" it will not require more than 25-35 fps to enjoy. And i said 25-35, not 20. :}

While I expect the creatures to move slower than the typical FPS monster, you are are entirly on your own when aiming arrows. You're probably going to have to have a decent framerate to hit something with them, it wasn't an issue in Morrowind since it aimed for you. In Oblivion there's no autoaiming and the arrows arc, so if you want to hit something running at you from a distance, you're going to have to aim high.

phide said:
Sure can. You can do the same using the original Quake engine - it just end up being a bit trickier. The question here is really performance. Is the GameBryo platform valuable for its ability to make adding assets easier? Sure. Is a fairly streamlined development process vastly more important than end user playability? No. From all indications, it's a piss poor platform.
QUOTE]

I disagree.

I have to think that ease of use is of the utmost importance when making a game the size of Oblivion. There's else really out there that compares in size and complexity. Except maybe a MMORPG, but those are really much simpler gameworlds and take monster teams and budgets to do correctly.

Rofl-Mic-Lofl said:

12 words say, yes it can, infact a 6800 and up can.

werrrd said:
But Oblivion will be a first person RPG with active combat where you can actually do shit, it wouldn't be very fun to have active combat at 20fps.

Not only that its in 3rd person as well.

From what I've read, and it's a lot, it performs a lot better than Morrowind does and doesn't have the same problems. When it slows down, it's in area's where you expect it to be slows, particuarly complex area's or a lot of monsters. It doesn't slow down when staring at a wall because there's a lot of shit behind it....like Balmora for instance.

That being said if you don't have a x1900 or SLI GTX, you're not gonna be able to run it on max settings at 30+FPS.

This first morrowind did run like crap. I had a geforce 4 ti and I remember stuttering and some low frames, but it never really affected the gameplay too much. Hopefully this new iteration will run well. I have a 6800 ultra and I am expecting pretty fair graphics and performance at 1280 * 1024. By the way, I have preordered the collector's edition. I need that coin and map hehehe.

MrSatan said:
This first morrowind did run like crap. I had a geforce 4 ti and I remember stuttering and some low frames, but it never really affected the gameplay too much. Hopefully this new iteration will run well. I have a 6800 ultra and I am expecting pretty fair graphics and performance at 1280 * 1024. By the way, I have preordered the collector's edition. I need that coin and map hehehe.

Well the map is in all versions, so you payed 10 bucks for that coin. : )

Cabezone said:
Well the map is in all versions, so you payed 10 bucks for that coin. : )
It's also got a Pocket Guide to the Empire and Making Of documentary in conjunction with the coin. Hmm, I really wanted to get into ES:3, but I just couldn't. I couldn't stand the interface or the style of play. I've heard there are vast improvements to all of this is Oblivion, so I might have to give it a whirl once it's out.

If I can't run it, I'm gonna sue Bethesda for making a game that only 10% of computer owners can enjoy.

Yeah i know, but then again i get the extra DVD with the making of the game and also the packaging for the Collectors Edition is pretty nice.

DejaWiz said:
It's also got a Pocket Guide to the Empire and Making Of documentary in conjunction with the coin. Hmm, I really wanted to get into ES:3, but I just couldn't. I couldn't stand the interface or the style of play. I've heard there are vast improvements to all of this is Oblivion, so I might have to give it a whirl once it's out.

And it comes in a 4 panel digi-pak that holds all your stuff. I have the collectors edition on pre-order :)

I loved Morrowind, but I couldn't get into it because it ran like ass on my Radeon 8500 and low end P4. Now that I can finally play it I really like it and Oblivion will be so much nicer. My big problem is that I can't decide what kin dof character I want to play as in my first run through: a melee combatant or a sneaky stealther.

Im getting tired of people whining about the change in graphics. Obviously the developers decided that the engine couldnt handle the things they removed smoothly enough. Developers aren't gonna get rid of stuff just to spite people and piss them off. Either they are under time constraints or the technical side of it is flawed. I mean sure they have promised and been hyping up the graphics for months now, but what game doesnt do that. I mean look at fable and all it promised and in the end it left people somewhat dissapointed, but it was still a fun and engaging game. Play the game and see if the lack of shadows are really gonna effect the gameplay all that much.

Cabezone said:
I have to think that ease of use is of the utmost importance when making a game the size of Oblivion.

Nobody's denying this, but if, as someone else has said, only 10% of PC owners can enjoy the experience, what's the point of developing it for the PC at all.

Here's hoping they turn things around for the next iteration of the Elder Scrolls series. Unreal Engine 3.0, guys. It's time to get on the bus.

Back