Card to run Oblivion everything highest

00fil00

Weaksauce
Just a fun one here as i know no one really knows, but what card in your best judgement do you think it will take to run oblivion everything maxed for a) 1280x1024 and b) 2048X1536? Everything in between can be guessed at from those 2 resolutions. There is recommended specs out i know but recommended and everything smooth and maxed is totally different. This is the game i just upgraded my whole rig and to an opteron for.

A. To run Oblivion maxed out at 1280x1024, you'll need at least a 7800GTX, in my opinion. So, acceptable cards would be the 7800GTX 256/512, X1800XT, and X1900XT or X1900XTX.

B. I don't think any single card can run Oblivion at 2048x1536 max settings. If you want to try, I would suggest either two 7800GTX 512MB's or two X1900XTX's. Even then, you may need to sacrifice AA to get max visual settings.

I don't think Oblivion is going to be near as demanding as everyone thinks it will. The dev machines use 9xxx radeons, IIRC. That said, I cannot wait for the game to come out.

I'm pretty sure I'll be running oblivion at max with my gt, of course the card is the part of the whole. but to be on topic

a) 7800 gt

b)prolly 2 512 gtx's

What do you mean by max? Max in-game settings? Does that include AA/AF if there are no in-game settings for it? What about bloom (I find bloom incredibly annoying and disable it in every game that has it, even though I don't need to)

I've got a 7800GT that I bought basically for the sole purpose of being able to play Oblivion at native res on my 17" Samsung LCD, so I hope that's good enough for max settings :-D

20x15 is a rather unrealistic res for most people, you must have one hell of a monitor. I'm sure some sort of dual-card solution will be needed.

I never get this. Just get the most powerful graphics solution you can afford.

Also, 2048 may be pretty unnattainable. I try to game at 1920*1200 and it ain't easy. I'm thinking I will be playing lower for oblivion for sure. Good thing my FW900 is up to the task.

If by everything, you mean EVERYTHING, then the only cards currently able to run it would be Crossfire x1800xt's or above, since nothing else can render HDR + AA at acceptable frames.

ZenPirate said:
I don't think Oblivion is going to be near as demanding as everyone thinks it will. The dev machines use 9xxx radeons, IIRC. That said, I cannot wait for the game to come out.

And suddenly the mystery about poor shadow performance becomes clear. :p

nobi125 said:
You'd think the developers would have better rigs.

And Doom 3 devs started work with GeForce 3s. :rolleyes:

IE - it's not related, and is not a factor we need to consider. The initial dev machine has literally nothing at all to do with the final quality or performance of a game - it's just the initial machine they started work on.

dderidex said:
And Doom 3 devs started work with GeForce 3s. :rolleyes:

IE - it's not related, and is not a factor we need to consider. The initial dev machine has literally nothing at all to do with the final quality or performance of a game - it's just the initial machine they started work on.

Yeah but the doom 3 devs were using better machines than you mentioned when they were as close to release as the Oblivion devs are.

The Graphics in dderidex link are on medium in the other Screenie.
Thats not the result of the shadow cut.

i would say a 6800GT would be able to handle the game at 1280x1024 with 2xaa 8xaf. 7800gtx or x1800xt for 1600x1200 with aa and af.

This game will depend more on fast ram then modern Graphic cards.

Indeed you better have 16 pipelines though. I say wait it out for the budget new ATI x1900 based cards (R590?) That should run the game pretty well.

Actually devs have stated gpu is most important, even more so than cpu. I have a 6800GT oc'd and expect to play this at 1024/768, 2AA 16AF (love my AF). 1280 with AA would be a stretch I think.

Considering the game has a Pixel shader 2 option I think you will be able to have a lot of interesting combos to increas perfomance.

The 6800 series won't do so well I predict. This game seems to favor ATI considering all the chipset support they're giving. A X1900XTX will dominate.

nobi125 said:
Yeah but the doom 3 devs were using better machines than you mentioned when they were as close to release as the Oblivion devs are.

Indeed, and all we know is that 'Oblivion' STARTED development on Radeon 9800s.

The E3 demo was run on SLI'd GeForce 6800GTs.

Speaking of Elder scrolls 4 I have a good question about this game. (No thread hijack intended) I remember playing ES 3 Morrowind, and starting the game and finally encounering my first battle a Rodent. I swung 300 x only to finally hit the rodent 1x. I then swung another 350 x and managed to miss the rodent only to hit him a 2nd time. now my mouse finger was getting quite tired. I ran away and got to a nearby cave where a man beet me to death with a club. This game had the worse combat engine I ever played. I didn't give it much more of a chance. Would this game have gotten better if I gave it more time? Do you expect Oblivion to have a similar combat system?

I purchased the game because of how awesome the graphics looked and how open ended the game seemed from some previews. All I remember was that it has the worse combat of all time. :D :D Any ES3 veterans care to share with me what made this game such a big deal?

dderidex said:
Indeed, and all we know is that 'Oblivion' STARTED development on Radeon 9800s.

The E3 demo was run on SLI'd GeForce 6800GTs.

And recently stated they are playing/testing it on a rig with an X1900.....

Well, my Opteron 170 at 2.8 and my XTX seems to be able to handle Morrowind acceptably at 1680x1050/4XAA, so I figure I'll be able to get low teens in Oblivion at, say, 1024x768.

Everyone is expecting way too much from Bethesda on this subject. Bethesda's expertise in game engine/real time rendering extends about as far as to have the ability to choose possibly the worst development platform on the market today (GameBryo) and little else. With other solid engines out there (UE2.x, Quake 3, etc.), I can't imagine why Bethesda invests so much in Emergent's technology.

Oblvion doesn't look bad, but my money's on Bad Performance.

Yea it will run like crap not to mention not really be a next gen title considering they already dropped the shadows to lame levels.

Oh well there goes one of the selling points in a game like this which is immersion/storyline :/

Lord_Exodia said:
Speaking of Elder scrolls 4 I have a good question about this game. (No thread hijack intended) I remember playing ES 3 Morrowind, and starting the game and finally encounering my first battle a Rodent. I swung 300 x only to finally hit the rodent 1x. I then swung another 350 x and managed to miss the rodent only to hit him a 2nd time. now my mouse finger was getting quite tired. I ran away and got to a nearby cave where a man beet me to death with a club. This game had the worse combat engine I ever played. I didn't give it much more of a chance. Would this game have gotten better if I gave it more time? Do you expect Oblivion to have a similar combat system?

I purchased the game because of how awesome the graphics looked and how open ended the game seemed from some previews. All I remember was that it has the worse combat of all time. :D :D Any ES3 veterans care to share with me what made this game such a big deal?

Oblivion will have an overhaulded combat system a hit will actually be a hit, no more swinging threw your target (although armored oppenents might absorb the damage).

Anyways, to run it on max it needs pixel shader 3.0, otherwise it will scale down to less pixel shading technices, Pete the lead marketing man has stated that it will play on max at a high resolution with a X1900 graphics card, although he didn't give resolution specifics.

sculelos said:
Oblivion will have an overhaulded combat system a hit will actually be a hit, no more swinging threw your target (although armored oppenents might absorb the damage).

Anyways, to run it on max it needs pixel shader 3.0, otherwise it will scale down to less pixel shading technices, Pete the lead marketing man has stated that it will play on max at a high resolution with a X1900 graphics card, although he didn't give resolution specifics.

The open endedness that piqued my interest for the last one but with a good combat system. hmm I might just get oblivion. I dunno, maybe try before I buy. Thx :D

If you want to play Oblivion at highest settings, you have to get an ATI X1K card, or else you won't be able to enable AA and HDR at the same time. If you want to play it at max settings fast, then you'll probably have to get an X1800XT or higher.

Lord_Exodia said:

Lol, I almost threw away my copy of the game because of that!!! Just too funny coz it's exactly what happened to me. There I was this young strapping warrior and I was getting beat by a rat. This is a problem with all rpgs, you start out very week but progress far enough and it gets too easy. It is a very good game and I have played it too many times coz there's so many things to do. I didn't really seriously play the game (I mean the linear story) til much later coz it was really open ended. This is what gets me excited about Oblivion.

teenk said:
Lol, I almost threw away my copy of the game because of that!!! Just too funny coz it's exactly what happened to me. There I was this young strapping warrior and I was getting beat by a rat. This is a problem with all rpgs, you start out very week but progress far enough and it gets too easy. It is a very good game and I have played it too many times coz there's so many things to do. I didn't really seriously play the game (I mean the linear story) til much later coz it was really open ended. This is what gets me excited about Oblivion.

Damn maybe I can borrow it from my friend and install it again. I guess I can give it another chance. I'm just glad that there was light at the end of the tunnel because other than that this RPG seemed awesome. I remember stealing a sword by accident and having the shop owner chase me out of town. Then the next day coming by the store only to have him spot me from far and having the local magistrade (police) chase me and beat me down.

I got trounced in that fight too :D :D but anyway these types of experiences have motivated me into getting oblivion. Thanks, also does anyone know if there is ties to the story from Morrowind in oblivion. Will I be completely lost when I play oblivion or is the story fresh?

TIA

phide said:
Well, my Opteron 170 at 2.8 and my XTX seems to be able to handle Morrowind acceptably at 1680x1050/4XAA, so I figure I'll be able to get low teens in Oblivion at, say, 1024x768.

Everyone is expecting way too much from Bethesda on this subject. Bethesda's expertise in game engine/real time rendering extends about as far as to have the ability to choose possibly the worst development platform on the market today (GameBryo) and little else. With other solid engines out there (UE2.x, Quake 3, etc.), I can't imagine why Bethesda invests so much in Emergent's technology.

1280x1024 8xS 16xAF on same proc/GTX512 morrowind runs fine.... Isn't oblivion capped @ 30FPS on PC as well as x360? Pete Hines has said the 1900 series will own it anyway, frames should be fine...

Antialiasing has little affect on performance in Morrowind, but upping the resolution has profound effects on framerates. On a side note: I sure do miss supersampling.

I haven't seen anything that would indicate a framerate cap on either platform. It would be pretty senseless to impose a framerate cap that's half of what's referred to as the 'arcade experience'. Someday, when we have graphics processors with 128 unified shader pipelines and quad core AMD Opterons, we might want the option of pushing things a bit past 30fps.

Pete Hines is absolutely non-partisan and can most certainly be trusted.

werrrd said:
1280x1024 8xS 16xAF on same proc/GTX512 morrowind runs fine.... Isn't oblivion capped @ 30FPS on PC as well as x360? Pete Hines has said the 1900 series will own it anyway, frames should be fine...

Nope, but they said their target for the 360 and reqemented spec computers are 30+fps, so it should run alot better then Morrowind did on launch computers.

Also to lord exoda, the story is new and not a continuation of the old one so you won't be left in the dust if you didn't play Morrowind.

sculelos said:
Also to lord exoda, the story is new and not a continuation of the old one so you won't be left in the dust if you didn't play Morrowind.

Thanks, time to order the collectors eddition. :D

phide said:

Basing Oblivion's performance on what framerate you get on Morrowind is a horrible comparison. Morrowind is one of the most horribly coded graphic engines on the PC.

Oblivion should run at full detail and at 30fps on your rig if not above. If it runs in the teens, then the devs were lying about optimizing the code this time around and it will be an example of another horribly coded game.

sculelos said:
Nope, but they said their target for the 360 and reqemented spec computers are 30+fps, so it should run alot better then Morrowind did on launch computers.

Oh, I thought I heard somewhere that it would be capped, well, good to know that it isnt ;)

phide: yeah, I hear what you're saying about Pete Hines (with the blatant sarcasm), I agree but, .......... none of the devs ever say anything about how the game will run, so information is very scarce. I would be very surprised if your rates (or mine) are in the teens at any resolution at or below 1280x1024

A Geforce 7300GS OCed or not should play this game on max just fine as long as its on low res. Man I'll play this game on 640 x 480 like I do with any game like I did when I had onboard video. Now I got a videocard that I can play any game on super max. Haven't tested all my games yet. But I bet I could play FEAR on max. My onboard could do medium. ES4 will be very impressave but most systems can play them like it was with DOOM3. You don't need a $300 card to play a game on max settings. Your looking for the super high res and all that jazz. Looks the same to me on any res.

Back