Car Buyers Willing To Spend $1,500 For High-Tech Options

HardOCP News

[H] News
If the average car buyer would plop down $1,500 for high-tech options, I wonder what you guys would spend?

Up to $1,499, that's how much. According to the latest Harris Poll, 51 percent of those surveyed said that if an automaker came out with an easy-to-use new technology that they really wanted, they'd be willing to spend up to that amount. No wonder automakers are focusing more on revealing new technologies at CES this year than they ever have before.

Al Bundy: I'm not driving out of here until I get a wooden gear shift knob at no extra cost!
Salesman: Let me think about it, hey Vince
(whispers)
Salesman: How much for one of those plastic wooden knobs
Vince: 25 cents
(normal voice)
Salesman: I'll give it to you for 50 bucks!
Al Bundy: DEAL!!! suckers!

Depends on the tech. With most manufacturers, the systems like touchscreen AV, navigation, etc are integrated into the dash...so I'd rather get it right when it's made for aesthetics.

I spent around $2000 for the backup camera + satellite radio + heated seats in 2011 when I last purchased a car.

I don't know, I think the car makes are dreaming.

Yes, I have a Bluetooth connected phone in my car, it's a great safety feature.

What I don't' think we need is to have cars to become internet access points. I see way too many ads for that now and when and if I buy my next car I'll go out of my way to not have those "features".

I just upgraded a 2008 car to a new bluetooth head unit with a microphone for like.. $130 and an hour's tinkering. Now I just laugh at the car commercials, many of which are just commercials for a bluetooth head unit.

I'd definitely pay $1500
But I want a nice touch screen, back up camera, hard disk for music storage, bluetooth, pull down or head rest mounted rear screens, navigation etc.

I thought this stuff was pretty much standard now anyways though.

I'd like high speed internet, but... with the crazy data plan prices from our cellular providers in Canada I don't think I could afford it. My smartphone is good enough for mobile internet until we can get at least 100GB of mobile data for a reasonable price. $40 for 2GB of data is BS.

"Only 14 percent care about engine output and performance."

I don't know whether to laugh or cry ...

No way.
Bluetooth, backup camera (which my car has both) is all that i need.
Garmin Hud is a much better navigation solution for me and cooler than any car manufacturer would have. It's also 1/10th the price.
I don't even need mp3/cd playback as my phone does all of that with more options.

Just give me good gas mileage, ample power to tow a meager 1500lbs, room for 5, 6spd manual, no frills audio, and AWD.

Just let me slave my mobile device screen to the center console screen.

This. Other than a good screen and controls (ok, and maybe Star-Trek futuristic-y cool slideout stuff ;) ), I don't want to pay a bunch of money for what is probably already technically obsolete if it wasn't in a car, and absolutely will be far before I want to get rid of the car.

Looking at getting a new car, and the screen comes standard but navigation alone costs an extra $1,800 I believe. F that, why pay $1,800 for navigation when my phone is likely 100x better already?

Things i have in my Car:

GPS
Cruise control
auto wipers
auto lights
front and back sensors
bluetooth media and phone playback.

I use all of it.. Here are some things I miss though from previous cars:

heated windscreen
heated seats
heated steering wheel

these were all awesome in the winter.

FR+ Leon 2012 2.0 TDi 170ps, if anyone was wondering.

Pffft, its a car not a spaceship. I'd accept roll down windows to keep the vehicle lightweight and cheap.

Besides, I use my own tablet as an all-in-one system for GPS, music, equalizer, etc. That way in 3-years when its obsolete, I don't have to try and rip some proprietary bullshit out of the dash of my car, and can just sell the tablet and buy the latest and greatest.

I'll pay nothing. I don't want any tech in my car. I just need a radio and a 3.5mm jack to play music from.

I wish they didn't force the tech package in the higher trim/spec cars.

I'll pay nothing. I don't want any tech in my car. I just need a radio and a 3.5mm jack to play music from.

Most advanced thing in my truck is the drive by wire throttle... And i'd be fine without it.

Amount I'm willing to spend on high-tech options: $0.

Just give me a CD player with some nice speakers and I'm good. Navigation and "Infotainment" packages can go fuck right off.

easy-to-use new technology that they really wanted

Way to be so vague as to make this survey completely worthless.

Sure, I'd spend an additional $1,500 for a self driving, plugin hybrid with decent power, a great stereo system and lots of room for people and hauling stuff, but I doubt that's going to happen.

$1,500 for Satellite radio, iPhone controls, buggy Bluetooth connectivity, or a built in Wi-Fi hotspot?
No thanks.

Just give me a USB port so I can plug in a thumb drive with my music and basic Bluetooth to make my phone hands free.

Most advanced thing in my truck is the drive by wire throttle... And i'd be fine without it.

Wifes Jeep is the same way as your truck don't really like the drive by wire. Feel numb. My Jeep has rain sensing wipers and auto dimming mirrors and that is where the tech ends there.

Pretty much this.

Then again, I don't plan on buying a new car anytime soon.. maybe never. That is unless I start making at least double of what I am making now.

And even then, that would be for the wifey, and I will just fix up my 280z.

How about making cars easier to work on again? I have to take apart half my car to get a wrench to just pull out some spark plugs. How about not hiding fuses behind my steering column so I don't have to take the dash apart?

I'm a lot more impressed to see a car that's easy to work on instead of having Pandora in the console. I like to open the hood and see an oil filter that's easy to get at.

The only thing I'd keep is the backup camera and heated seats.

A back up camera is the only "must" I would want with a car, but I'd hardly call that high tech, plus you can get one plus the screen for less than $100. Just mount/install yourself.

I do remember the GPS upgrade that cost $2k ... I was like "WTF!? the best GPS in the world doesn't cost that much!!!" ok maybe untrue I'm sure Monster makes a GPS system that cost half a million.

Well in general to choose your options on a car, you need to purchase yours brand new which I would never do.

However, if there was two identical used cars and one had Android Auto or something similar, I'd probably spend up to about $500 more. Anymore and I could just buy and install one myself.

This.

In order to get some options I wanted, I had to get the NAV system that was already out of date (compare to Google maps) I day I drove it off the lot. Updates are $169, or more than the cost of a nice standalone GPS with free lifetime updates.

I don't want high-tech in my car, unless it got to do with horsepower and handling!

Wifes Jeep is the same way as your truck don't really like the drive by wire. Feel numb. My Jeep has rain sensing wipers and auto dimming mirrors and that is where the tech ends there.

I forgot about the auto dimming rear view mirror... Thats kinda nice but, thats the extent of it.

I just bought a new car (my first new vehicle since 1997 so the tech options were really limited back then) ... I definitely enjoy the touch screen panel, SiriusXM, rear camera and sensors, nicer speakers, and Blue Tooth integration (I have a lot of early calls that I must take in my car during my commute to the Mexico border and the voice interface dialing is convenient too) ... the Navigation is not super necessary (although it is very nice to see the speed limits on major roads when the map interface is up ... I haven't driven across the border yet but if it works on that side of the border then its value might increase substantially) ... Heated seats are awesome too ... I would have liked to have had the keyless starter but they didn't have one in stock with that option

Having a lot of expensive non-removable tech in car means you're a target for smash and grab and the expense of replacing windows. Rather would just use all-in-one phone that leaves the car with me.

"Only 14 percent care about engine output and performance."

I don't know whether to laugh or cry ...

It's sad is it not? I purchased a car last spring and actually gave up the touchscreen (still has bluetooth, back up sensors, 10 speakers, etc.) for a car with a ~300hp engine. I could have gotten performance with all the tech in it in a Sonata turbo, but it was like driving a brick and tried too hard. Oh and it's a Hyundai not called Genesis which crossed it off the list.

I drive a base model Kia Rio -- power NOTHING. And am very happy with it.

I learned my lesson -- the 2005 RX8 I bought fresh out of college, full leather, bose, sunroof, all that shit.... it's all pointless. (Bose is the devil by the way)

2008 -- bought a loaded Z06 off the showroom floor, NAV, chrome, all that jazz. Buying integrated navigation i will NEVER do again. Even if the updates are free or cheap, it's a hassle.

(in the 08 Z06, the nav system was DVD based) if you wanted to upgrade to the latest map data the legal way, you had to send in 200 dollars to GM for a new set of discs... and these were discs that had some sort of 8 to 10 week back order (seriously) it takes 2 minutes to burn a DVD. I found the latest copies online burned them myself and said fuck you to GM and their shitty business practice when it came time for NAV upgrades. (it was antiquated very soon after buying it anyway)

It's sad is it not? I purchased a car last spring and actually gave up the touchscreen (still has bluetooth, back up sensors, 10 speakers, etc.) for a car with a ~300hp engine. I could have gotten performance with all the tech in it in a Sonata turbo, but it was like driving a brick and tried too hard. Oh and it's a Hyundai not called Genesis which crossed it off the list.

Veloster turbo?

When I buy a car, I want to use it for 10 years; when I buy technology, I don't want to use it for 10 years. I'd pay $500 more for the car to have a standard sized slot, so I could get an off the shelf head unit (and maybe upgrade it in 3-5 years)

I learned my lesson -- the 2005 RX8 I bought fresh out of college, full leather, bose, sunroof, all that shit.... it's all pointless. (Bose is the devil by the way)

2008 -- bought a loaded Z06 off the showroom floor, NAV, chrome, all that jazz. Buying integrated navigation i will NEVER do again. Even if the updates are free or cheap, it's a hassle.

Did the same. Loved that car to death and would still drive one in a heartbeat. But the Bose was pointless and the in-car nav was the most incompetent POS I've ever seen.

Bought the wife a 2014 Jeep Compass. Wanted the Hi-Lux electronic but that was an $1800 option.
Can get a Jensen double-din head unit with it all for around $260. Will go that route.

I'd pay for back up camera, navigation and maybe blind spot monitors. The extras are just fluff IMO. If you're too tired to drive I don't think those cruise control things will help when you have to merge lanes and whatnot.

Remember, most of us use our cars as transportation devices. You can't race through stop and go traffic, and you can't run red lights. And if you're worried about racing and engine performance, why are you looking at a Hyundai/Toyota/BMW 3** series or any other generic car? An underpowered car is pretty easy to notice without looking at its specs.

It's sad is it not? I purchased a car last spring and actually gave up the touchscreen (still has bluetooth, back up sensors, 10 speakers, etc.) for a car with a ~300hp engine.

It's more a sign of how more horsepower even basic cars have now days.

When I started driving, many basic economy cars had less than 90hp.
The 1985 Maxima I owned was considered a pretty fast sports sedan in it's day and it only had 157HP, out a V6

Today, a base 2014 Camry with a 4 cyl, puts out 178 hp, and the Hybrid puts out 200hp. Many people (myself included) don't really see the need for more HP in a car used to commute to work.

Back