Captain Marvel Will Lead the MCU, Kevin Feige Says

Which of the newer Marvel movies are worse than Captain Marvel?

Iron man 2 Iron man 3 Thor 2 guardians 2 Ultron Antman 2... and I would put Doc strange on the line, if only because I hoped for more. Na ok Doc Strange is a better flick. Nothing wrong with the Captain marvel movie though... as I say I would put it slightly above the average MCU movie mark. This many movies in I consider that pretty good. That I can watch yet another origin movie and not instantly hate it is impressive.

But thats like just my opinion man.

A device to show off the newly acquired Power Stone. "Creative license":rolleyes:

As far as CM: Thought it was trash. Worst MCU film easy. The lead should not be the worst thing in the film. Boring, unfunny save for one or two things. The fights were mediocre at best. The "feminism" was heavy handed and corny (the wife said this). If it's the Brie Larson show after Endgame, I'm probably done paying to see these, and I love the MCU.

I agree. What some here, and elsewhere I suppose, are missing is that even without the stones, Thanos could definitely go toe to toe with the Hulk at the hulk's normal power levels (non-super enraged) for a brief period. He is a tank with blasting powers. However, once he had the power stone, it was pretty much literally impossible to defeat Thanos in a fair, straightforward melee fight. As in, you cannot win.

As strong as the hulk could get, Thanos could simply draw more strength/durability (physical power) from the power stone and always get stronger. The comics have suggested there is no theoretical limit to physical power if one wields the stone. This is what frustrated the hulk and I think made him sulk after his butt whooping by Thanos. What Hulk doesn't know is that at that point it was never even possible to win that direct confrontation. The champion of the universe (one of the Elders of the Universe, like the Collector) was undefeated for millennia while he had the stone. The Silver Surfer had to fight him in a non-hand-to hand encounter and rely on his speed, agility, and long range power to defeat the Champion, because it would be impossible otherwise.

I think ultimately, because the movies haven't made it really clear, most don't realize how powerful the stones are; let alone that Thanos is essentially God, with all of them combined. I really hope they don't do a pile on/direct assault/force approach to defeat Thanos. It should require an outsmarting/flanking + luck (adam warlock) based set of maneuvers that ultimately saves the multiverse.

Also, while I have no animus against the new Captain Marvel, I really wish they had used the original Mar-vell. Especially since he was the one with real ties to Thanos.

I can't believe all the crybabies in here, acting like Marvel has ever been anything other than an overtly social/political commentary (EXPLICITLY, STRAIGHT FROM STAN LEE), and making belittling comments about a female character that they have never made about a male character (although Superman might be the exception to that rule, but that's even more telling). Dr. Strange was crazy overpowered, no one said a word, for example. And if you want to get into acting... most of these actors only know how to do one character and they rehash it in role after role, and they all take some time to settle into their roles. So much crapping on her in her debut in the universe is pretty lame. I think the fact that having a powerful woman (or a single black person, because we saw very similar comments about Black Panther) in a universe that's otherwise focused on white male characters triggering so many people says so much about the fan base.

As far as how you move on with such an OP character, well, it turns out you don't have to have every character in every fight, and there are plenty of reasons why she might not be around for any given story arch. Comics have dealt with this problem for ages, and it hasn't ended them, so why would it end the MCU?

I think for a community of relatively logical and self-aware individuals, this conversation has shown a distinct lack of both of those virtues.

If you don't like Marvel, don't watch it - end story.

I can't believe all the crybabies in here, acting like Marvel has ever been anything other than an overtly social/political commentary (EXPLICITLY, STRAIGHT FROM STAN LEE), and making belittling comments about a female character that they have never made about a male character (although Superman might be the exception to that rule, but that's even more telling). Dr. Strange was crazy overpowered, no one said a word, for example. And if you want to get into acting... most of these actors only know how to do one character and they rehash it in role after role, and they all take some time to settle into their roles. So much crapping on her in her debut in the universe is pretty lame. I think the fact that having a powerful woman (or a single black person, because we saw very similar comments about Black Panther) in a universe that's otherwise focused on white male characters triggering so many people says so much about the fan base.

As far as how you move on with such an OP character, well, it turns out you don't have to have every character in every fight, and there are plenty of reasons why she might not be around for any given story arch. Comics have dealt with this problem for ages, and it hasn't ended them, so why would it end the MCU?

I think for a community of relatively logical and self-aware individuals, this conversation has shown a distinct lack of both of those virtues.

People use the wrong words. Marvel covered social issues, but they didn't jump into current events when they were still in contention. In fact many of the issues were abstracted and may be missed or have application that author didn't intend. Most issues were presented in a both sides of the argument format as well. The intention was to convince and unit people perhaps in one way or perhaps on a compromise solution.

It's the difference between discussing a social issue and churning out NAKED PROPAGANDA like today that is divisive by design. Yeah you can find examples of propaganda throughout. It's a matter quantity as well as degree, not a binary issue.

So if we don't like something, we're not allowed to discuss why? And everyone that doesn't agree with you lacks logic and self-awareness? This is exactly the problem with politics nowadays, there is no room for compromise or discussion.

Black Panther had so many plot holes and the pacing felt so off, that's why I (and many others) didn't like it. It had nothing to do with a black male starring in it. Had it been a white male, it would have received the same criticism because it had obvious faults.

Dr. Strange is not overpowered. Yes, he can reverse time, but that does not guarantee he can win a fight. A bus gets tossed at him that he can't dodge, he's not getting off scotch free with just his shield, same as almost every other hero except the Hulk.

And this will be death spiral for MCU.

There is one major problem bringing Captain Marvel to the screen ... Overpowered. When you have something this powerful what do you have to counter it? something even more powerful. You have Hulk, Thor but these are actually frail in the MCU. But Captain Marvel? taking on a Kree battlegroup without even breaking a sweat.

Now the flipside of this could be they bring in some of the more deadly characters: Adam (already hinted at) Galactus ... then her powers maybe on par BUT this doesn't change the fact that this is a major upping in power and then you get yourself into where to stop

How would she stop Dormammu or the Kaecilius of the month? Wong knew how to fight them and still died before it was reversed. The Ancient One actually died.

By the rule of cool.
If she was to fight then and the story expected her to win then she will

The how is irrelevant. The concern is the power amp that has been introduced to the MCU, they need an enemy that is now equally strong to support a story which isnt over by the first encounter. Now maybe it is Galactus, but it isn't just thanos as a subset of the avenger almost defeated him with the gauntlet

As someone else asked.

By your standards, are we unable to simply evince dislike? Offer criticism on a product we feel was poorly made?

And I'll offer your own advice back to you.

Don't like the exercise of free speech and opinion? Don't read it. - END OF STORY.

Your self-perceived ethical and intellectual superiority is a sham.
You're a troll. Nothing more.

How much less could you care?

I care about politics to an extent with a heavy dose of common sense, but I dont need it in my entertainment. Politics are not entertaining even though internet personalities treat it otherwise.

Cant wait for it to be on Netflix lol. wont pay for theater
You mean Disney+ or w/e their streaming thing is.

I refused to go pay to see it in theater's but I did watch it on the open seas over the weekend. It was a decent film and wouldn't have had a issue paying to see it in the theater. If she kept her mouth shut they would have gladly gave it my $14 dollars.

Doesn't matter what baddie shows up, as long as Captain Marvel with her Muslim superhero friend Miss Marvel and now a tranny superhero like Shade bootkicking the patriar....I mean super bad dudes. I totally invested a decade of interest in the MCU cinematic series to be rewarded with such a solid capstone. If you don't like this direction, you are a bigot and your opinion doesn't matter.

Reactions: Nunu
like this
Every MCU movie is the exact same paint-by-numbers filmmaking-by-committee stupid cgi fest. Also, they're all at least 20 minutes too long. You can only remake the same movie for so long.
The 1 billion dollars Captain Marvel is working towards seems to disagree with you.....

I really don't know how you can call all the movies the same thing, unless you're just being really disingenuous.

https://www.marvel.com/comics/issue/10287/ms_marvel_1977_1

She's been beating up the baddies longer then most of us have been around. Blackwidow should have gotten the first female lead MCU movie. Could have been great.

To be clear the character has been around even longer than that, going back to the 1950s. However, even in the Marvel universe the character has changed and has never actually been a mainstay of their comics. She was almost always part of other story lines. The actual reality is they were only using the character to keep the trademark.

Now you have Captain Marvel being introduced all of a sudden as a main character in the MCU and potential main leader to take the place of Nick Fury, only with an increasingly larger role and footprint and her own line of movies. And to top it off, it seems the only real reason to do this is to help further push SJW agendas. There were already a number of female characters they could have used, that they already had full established story lines for, but they didn't. That is what may upset a lot of people, apart from the grumblings of Brie Larsen's comments herself, of Disney's general direction.

For me, it will largely depend if they make the same stupid mistakes they made with Star Wars and completely shit canning the lore just to push an SJW story line that is just poorly thought out and written.

I didn't like that they completely destroyed the Extremis arc, same for The Mandarin. Completely butchered both of them.

I also didn't like AoU... Completely butchered that one as well. I don't understand why it took them so long to bring Hank into the MCU... He's pretty key in all things tech, and crucial to the Ultron arc. I guess all the rights being scattered for X-Men and Fantastic Four is what led to the garbage MCU arc.
I hear ya on that. With everything spread out like it is, there is only so much they can do I suppose, when in reality, if they all found a way to work together it most likely would boost all their own super hero movies viewership. I think fans would appreciate it and dive into other characters because of it.

Yep they didn't care... until the Han Solo movie bombed. Now they're in full damage control mode, with bringing in George Lucas to "correct" Star Wars and so on. History will repeat itself if they don't course correct.

Again... it's the power balance between the heroes. Thanos overpowered everyone and went toe to toe against powered up Thor. If Captain Marvel takes down Thanos with equal contribution to everyone else, then it would be a lot better. But if she kicks Thano's butt mostly by herself... I'll consider Infinity Wars to be the real end of MCU.

Why is everyone so focused on Thanos? Thanos doesn't matter. Beating Thanos doesn't matter. Who kills Thanos (if he dies) doesn't matter. The plot of Endgame is not "lets go beat up Thanos". The gauntlet is gone, Thanos does not have the stones. Thanos is weaker than he was at the start of IW. If Cap Marvel beats up a weakened Thanos, who fucking cares? It doesn't matter.

Edit: Also, people really need to stop the "Thanos was overpowered" crap. He nearly lost, TWICE. He only won due to manipulating Quill and due to Thor not going for a killing blow. IW showed that Thanos is beatable.

To be clear the character has been around even longer than that, going back to the 1950s. However, even in the Marvel universe the character has changed and has never actually been a mainstay of their comics. She was almost always part of other story lines. The actual reality is they were only using the character to keep the trademark.

Now you have Captain Marvel being introduced all of a sudden as a main character in the MCU and potential main leader to take the place of Nick Fury, only with an increasingly larger role and footprint and her own line of movies. And to top it off, it seems the only real reason to do this is to help further push SJW agendas. There were already a number of female characters they could have used, that they already had full established story lines for, but they didn't. That is what may upset a lot of people, apart from the grumblings of Brie Larsen's comments herself, of Disney's general direction.

For me, it will largely depend if they make the same stupid mistakes they made with Star Wars and completely shit canning the lore just to push an SJW story line that is just poorly thought out and written.

What? Fury hasn't been the leader of anything since Winter Solider. Stark and Cap have been leading the Avengers since the end of Winter Solider and with both actors likely leaving there really isn't anyone else part of the current team, outside of maybe BP, that really seem like viable team leaders.

Last edited:
What? Fury hasn't been the leader of anything since Winter Solider. Stark and Cap have been leading the Avengers since the end of Winter Solider and with both actors likely leaving there really isn't anyone else part of the current team, outside of maybe BP, that really seem like viable team leaders.

Have they? They have been on opposite sides and the Avengers and many of the heroes involved have been split between the two sides. I mean they have been building up to this for awhile and have been foreshadowing someone else taking over for Fury.

Brie Larson seems to have a racist bent to her. Making comments about 'too many white guys' is just as toxic and hateful as saying you have a problem with there being too many black people, etc. It is the textbook definition of racism. I thought we were trying to move past things like skin color, shirt color, hair color, eye color and focusing on content of character, or is that just a pipe dream?
That's how I was brought up.... Don't hate people for immutable characteristics that have nothing to do with them as a person. Seems rare nowadays :(.

There is one major problem bringing Captain Marvel to the screen ... Overpowered. When you have something this powerful what do you have to counter it? something even more powerful. You have Hulk, Thor but these are actually frail in the MCU. But Captain Marvel? taking on a Kree battlegroup without even breaking a sweat.

Now the flipside of this could be they bring in some of the more deadly characters: Adam (already hinted at) Galactus ... then her powers maybe on par BUT this doesn't change the fact that this is a major upping in power and then you get yourself into where to stop

Same problem they have in DragonBall Z.
They keep increasing the power levels where even someone who could destroy a planet several seasons ago, would now be considered weak.
Now they have someone who can destroy entire universes like it is nothing :confused: :rolleyes:

Back