Captain Marvel Will Lead the MCU, Kevin Feige Says

I saw Captain Marvel this weekend with my wife. We both thought it was ok. I thought she was overpowered.
I am not versed in the original Captain Marvel comic book stories (except it was a dude, that part doesn't bother me.) I'm looking forward to Endgame - I'd like to see a conclusion.
My favorite Marvel movie yet is the original Captain America - it was fantastic. Iron Man was a close runner up. I'd be lying if I didn't think the Avengers was great. The rest (except Iron Man 3) were fun, just not as good.

I'm done with SJW MCU after Endgame. I hope Thor kicks major ass, but am concerned little Miss Marvel is going to be the headliner to take down Thanos.

I think shes going to get gimped very early in the final battle sequence, and have to fight as a regular person.

Hulk is overpowered and those movies didn't go well at the box office. If CM continues to be OP, look for the entire MCU to take a dive.
There's a reason why Batman and Iron Man are so popular, they're human without powers.

When you have something this powerful what do you have to counter it? something even more powerful.

Or eventually you cut it back. In the old Doctor Who, that happened to K-9, his robot dog. The thing was so overpowered they eventually realized every episode was "the bad guy shows up, K-9 blasts it, everyone goes home." All of a sudden K-9's batteries started lasting about 5 minutes and he was out of the rest of the episode.

Captain America has skills/instincts for his relatively inferior strength. Dr. Strange and Stark have their ego and pride. Hulk has low intelligence. Thor has about average intelligence, being a muscle brain and all. Hawkeye and Black Widow both are relatively weak but they provide critical support by applying their skills where it would make the most difference. I can go on, but throughout the movies, at least until Infinity War with the Hulk being greatly weakened, I've felt that the main superheroes can go head to head with each other and the odds are 60/40 at worst. If Captain Marvel can most likely beat the Hulk 9 out of 10 times as someone else has stated, she is just too powerful to keep movies in this universe interesting. Literally any villain that shows up will be "Call in Captain Marvel to take care of it, she'll make quick work of him/her" or "Villain is too strong for anyone but Captain Marvel." Thanos going toe to toe with the Hulk and easily beating him was bad enough already.

Lol no. Thor, Dr Strange and Captain Marvel are the only real powerful heroes in the MCU. Everyone else is far lesser and would get smacked around by them.

Lol no. Thor, Dr Strange and Captain Marvel are the only real powerful heroes in the MCU. Everyone else is far lesser and would get smacked around by them.

Only when you consider raw strength. There is more to a real fight than just a strength contest.

Saw it this weekend, and was kinda bored. Just never really cared about the character. Acting was uneven, at best. Humor was a tad forced and seemed somewhat out of place. Iron man story built a character before it built a superhero. Thor kinda cheats because it builds on known mythology. Captain America was a great origin. This one just kinda drops you in the middle and doesn't give you a real reason to care about the character.

7 more movies? Holy cow. Wrong character/actress to build your future around.

Hulk is overpowered and those movies didn't go well at the box office. If CM continues to be OP, look for the entire MCU to take a dive.
There's a reason why Batman and Iron Man are so popular, they're human without powers.

The Hulk movies bombed because neither of them were all that great. Ang Lee's was experimental and indie as hell, but just wasn't a good Hulk movie and Ed Norton's was just kind of there. Incredible Hulk had the same problem a lot of Phase 1 did. It wasn't sure what tone to go for or what audiences would really want out of a movie like it. It was too serious yet also too campy.

I saw the film over the weekend and didn't like it. To me, all comic book heroes , at least growing up, always looked good, especially the females. Charlize Theron or Alice Eve could have been a much better fit for this part. I would have had no issues with all the man-hating jokes at least if they came from a prettier face. That said, nothing vexed me more than the fact they changed her origin story, from a guy to a girl. I felt the same way when Nick Furry became an angry black dude. They had options if they wanted to emphasize social wokeness. Make a new hero, or uphold the marginally known ones in the mcu, but don't just change gender/race because you're lazy.

If this is what the new MCU will be, I'll have to settle for remembering the past. I've lost any interest in whatever future they want to spin.

I saw Captain Marvel this weekend with my wife. We both thought it was ok. I thought she was overpowered.
I am not versed in the original Captain Marvel comic book stories (except it was a dude, that part doesn't bother me.) I'm looking forward to Endgame - I'd like to see a conclusion.
My favorite Marvel movie yet is the original Captain America - it was fantastic. Iron Man was a close runner up. I'd be lying if I didn't think the Avengers was great. The rest (except Iron Man 3) were fun, just not as good.

Heh, oddly enough this is almost exactly my thoughts. I was mentioning this to my son and his friend this weekend after we saw Captain Marvel.

I knew from the trailers this movie was going to be average at best. Brie Larson didn't impress me one bit from the trailers and my opinion didn't improve with the movie. The primary reason I went to see it in the theater is because it was going to be the only way to see it before Endgame comes out and I wanted to see how they introduced the character and get a feel for how she'd fit into Endgame. I think quite a few of the moviegoers had the exact same idea I did and I'm willing to bet the release schedule for these two movies was set this way for that exact reason. I have no doubt the studio knew this movie was not going to bring in huge money unless it was positioned in such a way that those who wanted to see it before Endgame had to see it in the theater.

My son, his friend and I have gone to quite a few movies over the past few years and there's a way I can easily rate the movie right after we see it. The amount of conversation about the movie during the car ride home after viewing it. There was practically no conversation about the movie at all. It wasn't good enough to talk about scenes from the movie, the story or any of the jokes. There wasn't anything remarkable about it at all. The movie talk we had after leaving the theater was more about what we think we'll see from Endgame when it's released.

I stopped watching superhero movies years ago. I grew up with the original Superman series and then as a young adult, the Tim Burton Batman series, and while there were certainly some stinkers in both of those franchises, these new films are formulaic, boring, and mindless action flicks. I don't care if Ms. Marvel singlehandedly saves the entire universe or, conversely, she gets killed in the first 30 seconds - I won't be watching regardless.

By the way, I'm sure that was Disney's plans for the "Star Wars" stories - they were going to release a new one every year or two and copy their Marvel franchise. Several characters would've had their own series of films too, like Solo. That's obviously been postponed for now but I look for Disney to eventually come back to that idea.

You know, it seems like a wasted opportunity to not make a series of movies after the snap itself. They could've shown the emergence of Mutant population (give some comic book-y explanation that mutants were not affected/caused by the snap), Skrull invasion (Captain Marvel having to deal with it upon her return to Earth), MCU Dr Doom being unveiled stealing/improving Wakandan tech establishing his own country, etc.

The Hulk movies bombed because neither of them were all that great. Ang Lee's was experimental and indie as hell, but just wasn't a good Hulk movie and Ed Norton's was just kind of there. Incredible Hulk had the same problem a lot of Phase 1 did. It wasn't sure what tone to go for or what audiences would really want out of a movie like it. It was too serious yet also too campy.

hulk was ruined when they tried to PG-13 it and kept it closer to PG then actual PG-13. Hulk was never a comic for kids so why the eff would you make it into a movie for kids to watch and it never recovered in my opinion. not to mention the fact that they spent more time in every avengers movie telling him not to turn into hulk then actually showing hulk.. but what eventually pissed me off was their refusal to do a Planet Hulk and then injecting it into Thor Ragnarok instead.

hulk was ruined when they tried to PG-13 it and kept it closer to PG then actual PG-13. Hulk was never a comic for kids so why the eff would you make it into a movie for kids to watch and it never recovered in my opinion. not to mention the fact that they spent more time in every avengers movie telling him not to turn into hulk then actually showing hulk.. but what eventually pissed me off was their refusal to do a Planet Hulk and then injecting it into Thor Ragnarok instead.

Agree about Planet Hulk. What a wasted opportunity there. They could've done the storyline real justice with a stand alone movie, followed up by a World War Hulk-style return to Earth movie.

In the comics she took up Captain Marvel's name in 2012 to honor him. She was Ms. Marvel before that but there is a new Ms. Marvel replacing Carol Danvers.

I know the character pretty well since she hung out with the X-men. Rogue can permanently fly and has super strength thanks to nearly killing Ms. Marvel when absorbing her power.

Wow why? Legit curious what turned you off of it, it was my favorite Iron Man flick.

I didn't like that they completely destroyed the Extremis arc, same for The Mandarin. Completely butchered both of them.

I also didn't like AoU... Completely butchered that one as well. I don't understand why it took them so long to bring Hank into the MCU... He's pretty key in all things tech, and crucial to the Ultron arc. I guess all the rights being scattered for X-Men and Fantastic Four is what led to the garbage MCU arc.

Last edited:
Did not care for infinity war... especially the fight between Thanos and the Hulk.. Thanos rarely engaged in physical confrontations, especially with the Hulk, the watered down version of the Hulk in the MCU has always been horrible. I remember reading a story 20 or 30 years ago cannot remember which book..its been awhile, but the Hulk is not an alter ego of Banner, but a conduit to the primal rage that was the "big bang" of the universe... somehow the gamma rays created a portal in Banners body.. and Banners high intellect was the only thing keeping this rage contained. The story was basically that if the Hulk's rage went too long, Banner would loose control and the primal rage that created everything... would destroy everything and this is where the Hulks power comes from, his strength keeps increasing like a bomb getting ready to go off. I think Disney never really liked the Hulk as a character because unlike the other heroes...in their eyes.. the Hulk is big and dumb.. and just smashes stuff... but the original Hulk was probably the most dangerous uncontrollable entity in the MU... just my thoughts.

Regardless of potential agenda overtones, most people(including the actors) don't seem to realize this kind of thing has been happening in the comics for a long time. I read most Marvel comics from the 60's-early 2000's. Comics routinely introduce new characters to test drive and if they 'feel' they're successful they then craft a story to have them save everyone or at the very least they end up popping up in all the major titles. Fans of those books often have mixed feelings. Sometimes the push totally fails and the characters disappear until decades later when another creative team tries again. Some examples of this Ms. Marvel, Monica Rambeau, Dazzler, Wolverine, Punisher, Warlock and many many others. This really is nothing new and Elizabeth O. needs to get over herself since she was a part of the same tactic. This also follows a pattern that MCU has used since it was created. Just look at each individual movie release and then notice how the following team expands on a character on an even larger scale if their movie did well.

FYI saw a pretty heated argument regarding the history of this character in another thread and coincidentally came across this last week. https://www.thewrap.com/the-weird-and-diverse-comic-book-history-of-captain-marvel/ It's an interesting read and does a pretty good job of catching up what's happened over the last 40+ years.

Did not care for infinity war... especially the fight between Thanos and the Hulk.. Thanos rarely engaged in physical confrontations, especially with the Hulk, the watered down version of the Hulk in the MCU has always been horrible. I remember reading a story 20 or 30 years ago cannot remember which book..its been awhile, but the Hulk is not an alter ego of Banner, but a conduit to the primal rage that was the "big bang" of the universe... somehow the gamma rays created a portal in Banners body.. and Banners high intellect was the only thing keeping this rage contained. The story was basically that if the Hulk's rage went too long, Banner would loose control and the primal rage that created everything... would destroy everything and this is where the Hulks power comes from, his strength keeps increasing like a bomb getting ready to go off. I think Disney never really liked the Hulk as a character because unlike the other heroes...in their eyes.. the Hulk is big and dumb.. and just smashes stuff... but the original Hulk was probably the most dangerous uncontrollable entity in the MU... just my thoughts.

A device to show off the newly acquired Power Stone. "Creative license":rolleyes:

As far as CM: Thought it was trash. Worst MCU film easy. The lead should not be the worst thing in the film. Boring, unfunny save for one or two things. The fights were mediocre at best. The "feminism" was heavy handed and corny (the wife said this). If it's the Brie Larson show after Endgame, I'm probably done paying to see these, and I love the MCU.

And this will be death spiral for MCU.

There is one major problem bringing Captain Marvel to the screen ... Overpowered. When you have something this powerful what do you have to counter it? something even more powerful. You have Hulk, Thor but these are actually frail in the MCU. But Captain Marvel? taking on a Kree battlegroup without even breaking a sweat.

Now the flipside of this could be they bring in some of the more deadly characters: Adam (already hinted at) Galactus ... then her powers maybe on par BUT this doesn't change the fact that this is a major upping in power and then you get yourself into where to stop

The same can be said of Hulk, but they seem to find ways to deal with the op of his character. They just have the weaker heroes fighting side battles with weaker enemies. Hawkeye gets the scrubs!

As far as I know Hulk has been his alter ego for a long time in the comics. He even has more than one personality that's how we get Grey Hulk aka Joe Fixit. No doubt the nerfed Hulk in the MCU.

Except in MCU Dr strange and Thor have been slapped around, their "power levels" brought down to a level where
The same can be said of Hulk, but they seem to find ways to deal with the op of his character. They just have the weaker heroes fighting side battles with weaker enemies. Hawkeye gets the scrubs!
I agree, but Hulk was toned down for the MCU, Cpt Marvel however (still toned down from the comics) has a steroid injection

Only when you consider raw strength. There is more to a real fight than just a strength contest.

We saw Wong effortlessley neutralize a Black Order member, something the Avengers truly struggle with. Its not about strength, but magic. In no universe could Iron Man go toe to toe with Dr Strange let alone Dr Strange with the Eye. His fight with Dormammu lasted centuries. Dr Strange faced down a god and won.

Don't be surprised when marvel movie ticket sales fall. If not from this, it'll be franchise fatigue. I for one fully plan on not seeing any more marvel movies after the new Avengers movie. I'm tired of super hero movies.
Same. I'm out after Endgame.
Yeah. They all blend into a big mishmash in my head these days, and seeing a new one adds nothing, and I skipped the last couple of big group MCU movies. Last MCU movies I really enjoyed were off to the side (Guardians of Galaxy 1, and Deadpool 1).

Aren't most of the regular MCU cast out after Endgame, that could be another reason to focus on Captain Marvel.

I tend to prefer the more human level and less super heroes like Daredevil and Batman, though no good movies featuring them recently. I did like the DD Netflix show.
Deadpool isn't part of the MCU. We still have yet to see how Disney is going to integrate the X-Men side of the house into the MCU, if at all.

I didn't like that they completely destroyed the Extremis arc, same for The Mandarin. Completely butchered both of them.

I also didn't like AoU... Completely butchered that one as well. I don't understand why it took them so long to bring Hank into the MCU... He's pretty key in all things tech, and crucial to the Ultron arc. I guess all the rights being scattered for X-Men and Fantastic Four is what led to the garbage MCU arc.
there were a lot of poor decisions made in the early days of trying to get MCU and DC into the mass market and lots of gray areas within the contracts, case in point the issue they had with Spiderman and Sony taking advantage of a loophole to continue holding rights to the character by releasing and/or announcing a new Spiderman movie within every 3 years so that Marvel couldn't take back control.

Except in MCU Dr strange and Thor have been slapped around, their "power levels" brought down to a level where

I agree, but Hulk was toned down for the MCU, Cpt Marvel however (still toned down from the comics) has a steroid injection

i mean i loved the characters in the comics but lets be honest here, everything in the comics was a bit over scaled as far as strength and power goes.. trying to sell that in a movie for people that never read the comics is going to be a bit hard. i'm perfectly fine with the tone down of powers because it allows viewers to connect with the characters better but yeah there's obviously certain ones they've gone a bit too far with.. on a side note this is also what scares me with Dark Phoenix and the potential of them completely screwing up one of the most powerful mutants in the DCU but at the same time for some one who never read the comics it would be impossible for them to understand just how powerful she really is and could end up hurting the movie i guess.

Last edited:
I don't care about the politics of it, but I never liked her character in the comics. It honestly felt like they tried to make her unlikable. I intentionally avoid the whole social media aspect of actors b/c all it does is make me want to avoid their work, which I generally enjoy. Fortunately I know nothing about this woman.

Why would you "hate" this character? Seems a bit extreme. Personally, I'm at saturation point with the MCU so my main feeling at this stage is just indifference, but I'm struggling to see why you'd hate Captain Marvel.

Hate's a strong word, but this is the internet. Do you read comics at all? I'd say that in the comics she's about as dis-likable as any character that's at the "had their own book" level.

Works for Superman, most of the time. The key is to make her feel "human" (for lack of a better term). That is really the biggest problem with Carol in the comics right now, and has been a problem since the promoted her to Captain Marvel. She's not "perfect" in the comics (she was painted as being pretty wrong in Civil War II) but she doesn't have any balance to her character. She's either the perfect best leader ever (her solo series) or a complete moron (the aforementioned CWII). Carol has been OP for a very long time, pretty much since she first became Binary, but she was written with more of a personality and it made her a bit more relatable.

This is pretty much my take, but phrased much better than I did. You're going to have people that dislike her character due to the comics, and you're going to have to deal with the overpowered aspect.

For what it's worth I've not enjoyed Superman movies for much the same reason. I think I turned a couple of them off halfway through b/c I was bored. He's a bit different though b/c he's been done pretty well in comics by various writers. Carol has not.

Last edited:
I have to say then I think my journey with Marvel movies is over then after I see a few of the stand alone films like GotG 3/Dr.Strange and such, I have no interest in watching an actress that is destroying the legacy that Stan Lee and Jack Kirby created, they tackled Racism and Sexism, but in positive ways staying away from "Toxic Zealotry" this girl has been openly Racist and Sexist and should never be a hero let alone a role model. All you have to see is Kimmel making a fool of her, well she made a fool of herself.

there were a lot of poor decisions made in the early days of trying to get MCU and DC into the mass market and lots of gray areas within the contracts, case in point the issue they had with Spiderman and Sony taking advantage of a loophole to continue holding rights to the character by releasing and/or announcing a new Spiderman movie within every 3 years so that Marvel couldn't take back control.

i mean i loved the characters in the comics but lets be honest here, everything in the comics was a bit over scaled as far as strength and power goes.. trying to sell that in a movie for people that never read the comics is going to be a bit hard. i'm perfectly fine with the tone down of powers because it allows viewers to connect with the characters better but yeah there's obviously certain ones they've gone a bit too far with.. on a side note this is also what scares me with Dark Phoenix and the potential of them completely screwing up one of the most powerful mutants in the DCU but at the same time for some one who never read the comics it would be impossible for them to understand just how powerful she really is and could end up hurting the movie i guess.

They made her more powerful than what she really is, 2012, was a last ditch effort to get the character going where they turned her into a female version of Goku with zero weaknesses and nobody liked it because it was way 2 off the wall, Phoenix is like galactus as well as the other Cosmic entities and descendants like Thanos, if she starts beating them around well its over for me that 1 little girl fused with an alien has god like powers rather than the "g" or big "G" gods of the universe then its just so convoluted and the power scale is just destroyed.

Hate's a strong word, but this is the internet. Do you read comics at all? I'd say that in the comics she's about as dis-likable as any character that's at the "had their own book" level.

I loved the character. I first discovered her depowered and chilling with the X-men. I went back to learn who this Ms. Marvel is. Later, thought it was cool when she became Binary. I was fine with her taking Captain Marvel's name. Then they totally turned her into a villain during the Civil War 2. Before all that she was a great character. I haven't been back to see if they made her like her old self.

I loved the character. I first discovered her depowered and chilling with the X-men. I went back to learn who this Ms. Marvel is. Later, thought it was cool when she became Binary. I was fine with her taking Captain Marvel's name. Then they totally turned her into a villain during the Civil War 2. Before all that she was a great character. I haven't been back to see if they made her like her old self.

I was ok with her way back in those X-Men days but that was a looong time ago.

I saw CM and was underwhelmed by it-it didn't suck, it just didn't "entertain" like the other MCU movies did-I'd rate it around the first two Thor movies. The Hulk is the worst of the bunch. With that said, did see potential with it-maybe different director/script would work better.

As for the political comments-at this point it doesn't even phase me and I ignore it. It gets harped upon by news/entertainment business just to drive click on a website to get advertising because its so "decisive", when its just a Pavlov's dog response to something someone doesn't like-fill in the blank-Trump,SJW, etc

As for MCU fatigue-Outside of the Spiderman movie coming out this summer (which is Sony, not Disney/Marvel), I don't think we are getting another MCU movie for 18 months or so-which is a good break after End Game. I'm not even sure what movie it is going to be-I think Black Panther/CM2 or GoTG:3 are all on the table.

All of the haters have to be PISSED that the Captain Marvel movie is super successful and on track to be one of the top grossing movies of the year! Have fun with reality, haters! The movie ROCKS!

You forgot Scarlet Witch (who took out an entire DIVISION of Thanos' troops in one shot in the last Avengers movie). Vision was also pretty damn powerful as well and could go toe to toe with any of the others (and is the only one in the MCU capable weilding Mjolinir other than Thor). Iron Man, while relying on technology rather than powers, still is on par with the other top heroes as well.

Back