Captain Marvel Will Lead the MCU, Kevin Feige Says

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Like her or hate her, Marvel fans are going to be seeing much, much more of Brie Larson: MCU architect Kevin Feige has gone on record with his enthusiasm and plans for Captain Marvel, stating she will “take the lead and be at the forefront of the entire Cinematic Universe.” The character is already slated to reappear in next month’s Avengers: Endgame, improving the odds against Thanos. There is a rumor some cast members aren’t happy with how an overpowered newbie is swooping in to save the day, however.

When we found out that Brie Larson might be interested in joining our world, we had a number of meetings. She was a huge fan of the character in the comics. One of the highlights of my career at Marvel was introducing her at Comic-Con and having her come out on stage and stand there with literally almost everybody else from our movies. There she was at the forefront, and it was a great foreshadowing – not just for how audiences are going to embrace Brie as this character, but also for how Captain Marvel is about to take the lead and be at the forefront of the entire Cinematic Universe.

Last edited:
Unless they manage to screw up the formula they already have (thanks, Star Wars), I'll keep watching MCU films. But that has nothing to do with Brie Larson. I'd imagine most people will be the same. They aren't the best films, but I find them highly entertaining. Thor 3 and Infinity War were some of my favourite cinema experiences.

While I enjoyed Captain Marvel, and thought she did well, no one person is going to turn me off or keep me on the MCU films. Although I can see some people not responding well if they start going down the Disney/Star Wars route just replacing Star Wars with Marvel, and calling all the fans ignorant sexists.

I do have to say though that I am not huge on having this super-powered (even by superhero standards) character just dropped on to our laps. Slight spoliers, you've been warned, but if her powers are derived from an unshaped explosion of a tesseract-derived power cell (so not even from the tesseract itself), how the hell do they explain her strength? Scarlett Witch's powers were at least derived from direct experimentation with an Infinity Stone, and while she is undoubtedly powerful, it seems that Captain Marvel could fly swat her. That's my biggest issue so far. Feige can also shut up sometimes. Honestly.

Last edited:
Don't be surprised when marvel movie ticket sales fall. If not from this, it'll be franchise fatigue. I for one fully plan on not seeing any more marvel movies after the new Avengers movie. I'm tired of super hero movies.

From the article, Brie Larson is contracted to star in 7 more movies. Disney is going to milk the MCU until everyone hates Marvel.

Unless they manage to screw up the formula they already have (thanks, Star Wars), I'll keep watching MCU films. But that has nothing to do with Brie Larson. I'd imagine most people will be the same. They aren't the best films, but I find them highly entertaining. Thor 3 and Infinity War were some of my favourite cinema experiences.

While I enjoyed Captain Marvel, and thought she did well, no one person is going to turn me off or keep me on the MCU films. Although I can see some people not responding well if they start going down the Disney/Star Wars route just replacing Star Wars with Marvel, and calling all the fans ignorant sexists.

Well the main difference with Captain Marvel as I see it. No one can say the character was invented to fit some agenda. (no matter how you feel about star wars) Captain Marvel has been around since 1967 and Ms Marvel since 77 created by Stan. There have been 6 or 7 iterations at least of the character in Marvel comics.

I enjoyed Captain Marvel it was a good flick. No its not high brow, no it doesn't feel as fresh as Iron man did all those years ago. Nor does it have the energy of the first Guardians... or the unique this is something different feel of Ragnorok. But its far from the worst of the Marvel movies, and it was entertaining. The de aging tech has finally got to a point where you stop noticing it which is perhaps disturbing. Overall good movie, and Larson did a pretty good job. Is the character overpowered hell ya, its Marvels version of superman with all the same issues.

I wouldn't put too much faith in the "everyone hates Brie" rumors. They probably come from the same groups crying that CapMarv would "kill the MCU" and "be another Solo".

For people worried about Carol killing Thanos: So? Of course she will, but it doesn't matter. Taking down Thanos isn't the point of Endgame. The point of Endgame is getting the dusted/dead heroes back. Thanos was the protagonist of Infinity War, with Endgame he will probably just be an obstacle.

Don't be surprised when marvel movie ticket sales fall. If not from this, it'll be franchise fatigue. I for one fully plan on not seeing any more marvel movies after the new Avengers movie. I'm tired of super hero movies.

Unfortunately you are a very (tiny) minority. As long as these movies are entertaining, they will continue to be huge box office successes.

Sitting here watching Infinity War in 4k, after watching Captain Marvel in imax last weekend.

They are just good clean fun, and I wish politics would just away. I could care less.

I wish I had an Imax in my state to view some of the better productions out there today. I was fortunate enough to see Dunkirk in a smaller IMAX, sitting squarely on a buttkicker with the volume possibly the loudest I have ever heard it in a theater, wonderful experience.

I wouldn't put too much faith in the "everyone hates Brie" rumors.

I don't hate brie larson as an actor, however I feel her performance is a little uneven in Captain Marvel. Too much smug towards the end for my taste. However, compared to the other campy female rolls we saw in Black panther, I'll take it.

This makes sense though, Captain Marvel has always been one of the most powered heroes, and he/she/he/she/he/he/she (following the order of Captain Marvels) has always had important roles in the Marvel universe. With Iron Man and Captain America being done, you would expect Captain Marvel to pick up the slack. Especially considering outside Black Panther, she is having one of Marvel's biggest box-office takes for an origin story, so why would they not replicate her role in the greater Marvel universe in the movies?

There are two problems.

First is Brie as a person or social media influencer.. i'm not going to say much more than that because its really gone a bit too far in action on her part and reaction on the part of those who employ her (Disney, Marvel). I'd rather just sit and eat popcorn but she's putting a bad taste in a lot of viewers popcorn. :(

Secondly is that I think they introduced the character too late and have been "compartmentalizing" each movie too much to the character. It may have been a calculated thing but honestly I think they are just pushing out too many movies in a format that can have issues with overly extended storylines (cinema) over too many movies. By breaking the movie standard of 2 hours for a film they might have been able to cut a couple films or integrate the branches into the trunk of the story a little more effectively without dropping Captain Marvel where they did.

Just for the record I never bothered with the comics too much, so my opinion and view is as of someone who is "new" (but knows some stuff).

EDIT

Also should mention I havent watched the movie yet, but I plan to when I get time.

I expect fatigue as well. And regardless which side of politics you are on... I think the vast majority of people would prefer no politics in their movies.

After End Game I think it’ll be damn near impossible for me to watch another superhero move that isn’t “free”.

Like her or hate her
Why would you "hate" this character? Seems a bit extreme. Personally, I'm at saturation point with the MCU so my main feeling at this stage is just indifference, but I'm struggling to see why you'd hate Captain Marvel.

MCU brainchild Kevin Feige
This doesn't make any sense, so either you've not edited it properly or you don't understand what brainchild means.

I really enjoy comics and the marvel universe but I am feeling the fatigue. It doesn’t help the MCU that the majority of the DC stuff isn’t very good and doesn’t provide something different enough to relieve the fatigue. I am hoping that the Hellboy reboot and the upcoming Spawn movie can provide something new and interesting. Maybe it’s time to see more image and dark horse comic IPs.

And this will be death spiral for MCU.

There is one major problem bringing Captain Marvel to the screen ... Overpowered. When you have something this powerful what do you have to counter it? something even more powerful. You have Hulk, Thor but these are actually frail in the MCU. But Captain Marvel? taking on a Kree battlegroup without even breaking a sweat.

Now the flipside of this could be they bring in some of the more deadly characters: Adam (already hinted at) Galactus ... then her powers maybe on par BUT this doesn't change the fact that this is a major upping in power and then you get yourself into where to stop

I really enjoy comics and the marvel universe but I am feeling the fatigue. It doesn’t help the MCU that the majority of the DC stuff isn’t very good and doesn’t provide something different enough to relieve the fatigue. I am hoping that the Hellboy reboot and the upcoming Spawn movie can provide something new and interesting. Maybe it’s time to see more image and dark horse comic IPs.
if you want a bit of crack to keep yourself interested, Rebellion have acquired a film studio and are after bringing RogueTrooper to the big screen and making a Judge Dredd TV series

Well I consider Endgame to be the end of the Marvel cinema universe for myself, and i guess I wont be the only one. I plan to buy all the box-sets upto Endgame and fill in current blanks (Antman and the wasp etc)...

I'm pretty burned out by the films now and just want to see this through to the end.

Sitting here watching Infinity War in 4k, after watching Captain Marvel in imax last weekend.

They are just good clean fun, and I wish politics would just away. I could care less.

As long as the directors and actors continue making political comments on their movies, the politics aren't going to go away. If they refrain from directly associating their movies with their political comments, people will associate politics with the movies less. It won't completely go away, but at least it'll be reduced.

Why would you "hate" this character? Seems a bit extreme. Personally, I'm at saturation point with the MCU so my main feeling at this stage is just indifference, but I'm struggling to see why you'd hate Captain Marvel.

This doesn't make any sense, so either you've not edited it properly or you don't understand what brainchild means.

When a superhero is as powerful as Superman relative to other superheroes and doesn't have kryptonite (or some equivalent) as a weakness, the character is just way too powerful. It's even worse when the character is at least on the higher end of the intelligence scale for superheroes, not sure where this iteration of Captain Marvel falls, perhaps someone can provide their impression. While such a character might not be hated by most, it will become boring very quickly as such a character becomes completely unrelatable.

Captain America has skills/instincts for his relatively inferior strength. Dr. Strange and Stark have their ego and pride. Hulk has low intelligence. Thor has about average intelligence, being a muscle brain and all. Hawkeye and Black Widow both are relatively weak but they provide critical support by applying their skills where it would make the most difference. I can go on, but throughout the movies, at least until Infinity War with the Hulk being greatly weakened, I've felt that the main superheroes can go head to head with each other and the odds are 60/40 at worst. If Captain Marvel can most likely beat the Hulk 9 out of 10 times as someone else has stated, she is just too powerful to keep movies in this universe interesting. Literally any villain that shows up will be "Call in Captain Marvel to take care of it, she'll make quick work of him/her" or "Villain is too strong for anyone but Captain Marvel." Thanos going toe to toe with the Hulk and easily beating him was bad enough already.

There is one major problem bringing Captain Marvel to the screen ... Overpowered. When you have something this powerful what do you have to counter it? something even more powerful. You have Hulk, Thor but these are actually frail in the MCU. But Captain Marvel? taking on a Kree battlegroup without even breaking a sweat.

Now the flipside of this could be they bring in some of the more deadly characters: Adam (already hinted at) Galactus ... then her powers maybe on par BUT this doesn't change the fact that this is a major upping in power and then you get yourself into where to stop

Works for Superman, most of the time. The key is to make her feel "human" (for lack of a better term). That is really the biggest problem with Carol in the comics right now, and has been a problem since the promoted her to Captain Marvel. She's not "perfect" in the comics (she was painted as being pretty wrong in Civil War II) but she doesn't have any balance to her character. She's either the perfect best leader ever (her solo series) or a complete moron (the aforementioned CWII). Carol has been OP for a very long time, pretty much since she first became Binary, but she was written with more of a personality and it made her a bit more relatable. And, that, really is the key to making her work. I haven't seen the movie so I can't comment on how they do there, but the Russo's have been really good at making the heroes in their movies relatable so I have hope for what they'll do for Carol in Endgame.

When a superhero is as powerful as Superman relative to other superheroes and doesn't have kryptonite (or some equivalent) as a weakness, the character is just way too powerful. It's even worse when the character is at least on the higher end of the intelligence scale for superheroes, not sure where this iteration of Captain Marvel falls, perhaps someone can provide their impression. While such a character might not be hated by most, it will become boring very quickly as such a character becomes completely unrelatable.

Based on the comics, I'd say when Carol is written well she is smart strategically and has good leadership abilities, but as far as book smarts or the like there are many characters that could run circles around her. She definitely doesn't have superhuman level intelligence and I don't believe any of her powers allow her to think faster than a non-powered person (though given that she has superhuman reflexes, that is debatable).

Every MCU movie is the exact same paint-by-numbers filmmaking-by-committee stupid cgi fest. Also, they're all at least 20 minutes too long. You can only remake the same movie for so long.

Yeah. They all blend into a big mishmash in my head these days, and seeing a new one adds nothing, and I skipped the last couple of big group MCU movies. Last MCU movies I really enjoyed were off to the side (Guardians of Galaxy 1, and Deadpool 1).

Aren't most of the regular MCU cast out after Endgame, that could be another reason to focus on Captain Marvel.

I tend to prefer the more human level and less super heroes like Daredevil and Batman, though no good movies featuring them recently. I did like the DD Netflix show.

Yeah. They all blend into a big mishmash in my head these days, and seeing a new one adds nothing, and I skipped the last couple of big group MCU movies. Last MCU movies I really enjoyed were off to the side (Guardians of Galaxy 1, and Deadpool 1).

Aren't most of the regular MCU cast out after Endgame, that could be another reason to focus on Captain Marvel.

I tend to prefer the more human level and less super heroes like Daredevil and Batman, though no good movies featuring them recently. I did like the DD Netflix show.

I believe the contracts for all the original Avengers ends with Endgame, but I'm sure some of them will get signed for more movies. Chris Evans and RDJ are both most likely done for good. Hemsworth has hinted that he might be done, but isn't sure. ScarJo will likely remain around, especially if they want to do a Black Widow movie. If Hawkeye lives through Endgame I could see Renner maybe staying around. No clue about Ruffalo.

don't be so sure, there are alot of normies out there and even the fans are baited to see the end of the saga.
what a big FU to the fans though :), they milked them for years when they got enough money and had only 1 flic left, they introduced 1 disliked character that renders all the iconic ones loved by the fan useless, just love it :)
personnaly, never cared about the MCU, but feels bad for the comics fans.

There is one major problem bringing Captain Marvel to the screen ... Overpowered. When you have something this powerful what do you have to counter it?

Q.

upload-2017-06-16-17-27-14-97634_M.jpg

Then CBS can send in their super-lawyer-heroes to defeat Disney at the box law office.

mcu lost my attention after Thor. Admittedly I haven't seen them all but you could swap these characters out of the different movies and besides their individual powers you'd never know the difference. Brie appears bitter in every pic I've seen, like she hasn't been sexed since way back. I could care less about her feminist/racist rageaholic rantings but if she wants to come by my place I'll teach her how to make a sandwich and fetch beer.

I believe the contracts for all the original Avengers ends with Endgame, but I'm sure some of them will get signed for more movies. Chris Evans and RDJ are both most likely done for good. Hemsworth has hinted that he might be done, but isn't sure. ScarJo will likely remain around, especially if they want to do a Black Widow movie. If Hawkeye lives through Endgame I could see Renner maybe staying around. No clue about Ruffalo.

Maybe we can finally get some new Sherlock Holmes movies. Rather enjoyed RDJ in those.

What would we do without celebrities and their razor sharp political advice?

Oh yeah, vote with my wallet and stop watching.
After Thanos I'm done and only because I'm vested thus far.

Back