"Captain Marvel" Trolled the Trolls with a $455M Global Launch

Uhmm no, Captain Marvel was a man by the name of Mar'Vell a Kree Alien, when he died he passed his powers on to Rogue from the X-Men, you are referring to Ms. Marvel and has had over 5 female incarnations with Danvers being the least liked.

You've got it backwards. Carol Danvers was the First Ms Marvel who was with Capitan Marvel when there was an explosion and her DNA was merged. There were three different Ms Marvel (or Mrs) lines published TWO with Carol Danvers. Of the capitan Marvel series there are 5 and The one where Carol Danvers Mrs Marvel takes on the Title of Capitan Marvel is the most recent and she leads the Avengers.

I hope that helped spell it out. I looked it up.

Wife and I saw it over the weekend and enjoyed it. I don't give a damn about the comic nor the adaption prior to seeing it.

Brie didn't feel wooden to me at all. Do you guys NOT GET what they were doing in this movie? Did you NOT understand the funny in Fury going all goo goo over the cat? Are you really that caught up in yourselves and the "Women can't do that" bullshit?

Damn near the entire movie was MEANT to be this way. With Brie playing the historically male role AS a MALE would have played it. Notice who's washing dishes and who's drying dishes? Who Drives? All of it through the entire damn movie. That was the POINT. I don't chalk that up to bad acting at all. I chalk that up to the Actor playing their role probably as directed.

Maybe you don't like that? Maybe you want a female lead that cries every other time they turn around because of the painful level of responsibility if only a man could take it on for them.

If that's your deal fine.

If you didn't just like the movie... fine.

But stop playing dumb. Or if you didn't get it... well then... I'm sorry?

Oh... Oh my god.

I just leaned it wasn’t the lead actress that made that post about white males. It was some SJW account by the name of Captain Mabel. Can’t blame the lead for what a fan said that spun up the majority of the controversy.
Nope, she said it during an interview.

My gut says this will be in the same vein as the original Thor and Captain America movies. Tolerable, but ultimately underwhelming.

I have no particular desire to see it, and yet I will, just so I know what the fuck is going on when I go to Avengers: End Game in a few months.

I really liked the first Captain America-the first two Thor movies weren't all that. Captain Marvel as a bit of a let down-it didn't wow me or did I enjoy it as much as the other Marvel movies. It has potential, but overall it felt flat. I'd rate it to roughly even with the first two Thor movies.

I'd say it was a solid 7/10 (Where 5/10 is average), it was worth a watch and had some funny moments. Samuel L Jackson played the part well.

Does not hold up to the best in the franchise (ragnarok was a lot better) but origins are always tricky.

Criticise Tom Cruise too much and a certain "Church" might come and "detain" you lol.
I saw a couple dudes trying to pimp Scientology today. Tough sell.

Well she was suppose to be wooden. She was a highly training Seal Team kind of soldier. So I expect her to be that way IMO.
Because NS are wooden?

The Kree DNA she has is from a man.
You've got it backwards. Carol Danvers was the First Ms Marvel who was with Capitan Marvel when there was an explosion and her DNA was merged. There were three different Ms Marvel (or Mrs) lines published TWO with Carol Danvers. Of the capitan Marvel series there are 5 and The one where Carol Danvers Mrs Marvel takes on the Title of Capitan Marvel is the most recent and she leads the Avengers.

The first Captain Marvel after Mar-Vell was Monica Rambaeu. The character was white-washed back to Carol Danvers and Monica was turned into Polaris.
latest?cb=20140805192835&path-prefix=protagonist.jpg

Trolling the trolls? Wtf? Its ALL MARKETING. I bet you money social media marketing agents have a term for a vocal minority of internet users (such as whomever 'attacks' captain marvel, whomever 'they' are) they are being intentionally triggered, and then used, in the process of 'attacking' them they amplify the meaning and voice of this slim minority, create bullshit 'controversy' that makes it as far as actual large news sites..
VERY effective and VERY cheap. Utter some bullshit, wait of the smallest repsonse, amplify it.. indirectly respond or start some rumor about a response (response is such that would trigger this minority further) amplify rinse and repeat.
Shit i would not be surprised if some on this minority are paid employees or 3rd party contracts from Disney and Marvel. For sure they have paid people in 'defending' against 'the dangerous troll movement'

Is this (and about 50 other people in this thread) one of the people they're paying?

Not going to give marvel any money for this movie, no desire to see it, praying that it does not dovetail into End Game with Capt SJW saving everyone with MUHWOMANPOWAH!

people are unhappy with they way things are being handled so they are automatically shills or trolls? ok...

That's exactly how I think about all these movies.. I might carve out an exception for Logan, but that's about it. Agree 100% they are trash in terms of 'art' or enriching you in some little way.
These movies are Whoopers Burgers.. its a bit sad, and a little more worrying each year if I am honest, that we are on a straight Whooper burger cinema diet.
It worries me a little when someone here in real life calls these movies Oh its GREAT!, I am usually thinking really? this is GREAT! for you??
I too don't say much either... sometimes...
I call these movies, 'OK' or 'it was entertaining'.. really thinking they are shit, enternaining shit, but shit none the less, like a Whooper.

Just out of curiosity, are you like a 65 year old man?

people are unhappy with they way things are being handled so they are automatically shills or trolls? ok...

One side or the other, we don't like to think of anything in between anymore. Seems like so much just has to be an extremist view of it. For me, I am just going to sit back and get angry at product placement in movies and being happy when coke is shown instead of pepsi!

It is an ok movie and had some entertaining moments. At least they tried to make the plot slightly different than your typical Marvel movie. I give it a 5/10.

Overall, Marvel movies or superhero movies in general are getting dull.

Except her statement was flatly and indisputably sexist. I mean I understand when someone makes a statement that clearly was intended innocently and at worst was just in bad taste. However her statement left zero room to question the intent. It was blatantly sexist and there is no getting around that fact. She for away with it only because she is female and I'm sorry but that's a bullshit double standard. I don't understand how you don't get my if someone else said it bit. That is pretty clear. So I'll give you an example.

Are you going to try to argue that he wouldn't be utterly crucified? No you aren't because it is offensively racist and sexist. Well so was her statement. Only two words changed.

It's a hard fact of life that some groups get to say things other groups don't. Whites got to yell the N word out all they wanted back in the day and now they have to bite their tongues when all the rappers say it nonstop and they can't. Payback is a mother! Men got to act like pigs around women forever and now they don't get free run of things, that's just how it goes. We often have to pay for the sins of our fathers.

Larson's comments about the movie isn't for men, is just a different way of saying what men have said for years already about such movies. I don't take it as a "OMG sexist" comment. I take it as a warning label. We've call then "chick flicks" for 30+ years now, and that was OK. But when a woman says "This movie isn't for men" instead of saying "Hey this movie is totally a chick flick" I'm supposed to be offended? Nah, I can't get that worked up over it.

The rest of her being interviewed by too white dudes is mostly her virtue signaling to show what a great person she is. Maybe she really believes it, maybe she's just playing the hollywood game. Either way, that's her personal choice just like Hollywood stars who are anti-vaxxers or pro communists.

It's a hard fact of life that some groups get to say things other groups don't.
No, that's still inequality. Equality doesn't mean we do to you what your ancestors did to us. Flipping the coin is still bad,

We often have to pay for the sins of our fathers.
No, we don't,

Should we pay for the sins of Henry the eight too? He was a white dude too who did bad things. We aren't responsible for our ancestors deeds. And whoever thinks it is a good idea to punish us for what people two generations ago did, is a sociopath, or psychopath. Pick one, I always confuse which is the appropriate term.

No, that's still inequality. Equality doesn't mean we do to you what your ancestors did to us. Flipping the coin is still bad,

No, we don't,

Should we pay for the sins of Henry the eight too? He was a white dude too who did bad things. We aren't responsible for our ancestors deeds. And whoever thinks it is a good idea to punish us for what people two generations ago did, is a sociopath, or psychopath. Pick one, I always confuse which is the appropriate term.

So what is it exactly you feel punished by. Is it the ability to call a black person a derogatory name? Is it being able to openly comment on a woman's appearance be it good to bad in your eyes and have it demean and dehumanize her? I'm just curious as to what it is you feel we (yes I am an adult white male) are missing out on here. I fail to see it. How about you spell it out for me.

I must be the only person on Earth who isn't into comics. I'm not sure I've even seen an entire comic/superhero movie since Batman Forever with Val Kilmer. I think I saw most of The Dark Knight. I probably should watch some of them. They are on cable tv all the time. Do I need to know anything about these characters (Ironman, Captain America, Thor, etc.) to fully enjoy the movies?

So what is it exactly you feel punished by. Is it the ability to call a black person a derogatory name? Is it being able to openly comment on a woman's appearance be it good to bad in your eyes and have it demean and dehumanize her? I'm just curious as to what it is you feel we (yes I am an adult white male) are missing out on here. I fail to see it. How about you spell it out for me.
how bout you stop pushing buttons trying to get a rise out of people. youre putting words into peoples mouths and making a tonne of assumptions.

Nothing fancy: Double standards.

Say: I don't think white dudes should have a say: Get paraded as a hero of progressivism
Say: I don't think * should have a say: Become persona non grata

*insert any demographic except white males.

Due to the review bombing (both positive and negative) all over the net its pretty much going to impossible to get anything resembling a real feel for how most users feel about it. That said, I've been hearing pretty good things about it.
A cinema score of A (A+ being the highest) tells you what actual viewers thought. No doubt that people going on a friday are mostly Marvel or comic fans, but it's way more accurate than RT user reviews (at least it is when some group of people has an axe to grind against said movie (or perhaps even a reason to pump up the reviews). I mostly look at the cream of the crop score and a few reviewers there. I'm going, but I will admit I'm a bit worried, since my boy James Berardinelli thought it was at best so-so. I figure I've got 3 free movies/week and this is the only one to watch this week, so I'll check it out. Hopefully I agree more with Cinemascore respondents.

I can't keep up with all of these Marvel movies. It feels like a new one comes out every month and they're tough to follow if you haven't seen all of the other ones.
Either that or they're laden with a bunch of cameos that serve as commercials for the next one.
Deadpool is the only one I can handle, and it's mainly because the movie is isolated to its own world.

Captain marvel appeared in 1968 Ms. marvel appeared in 1977(Carol Danvers) in a series in 2000 that is where she is called Captain Marvel with Marvel Comics making a big push to make her the most overpowered character they could to Garner female readers for some reason I thought Khan was before Danvers oh well maybe that is how I encountered her that's why I default to that, anyways she still isn't liked and they have rebooted it 5 times.

Nothing fancy: Double standards.

Say: I don't think white dudes should have a say: Get paraded as a hero of progressivism
Say: I don't think * should have a say: Become persona non grata

*insert any demographic except white males.

Getting off base and I did above. So where is the problem with THIS movie? Is it because another movie wasn't made for your target audience so someone in that movie said. "I'm not surprised critics of this type didn't like the movie. It's not made for them." that is a problem? Or is it because its easier to say it's not made for white male viewers and they probably won't connect with or agree with it. But saying This movie was made for white males so black women probably won't like it like white males do?

Let me think of a movie that was made to appeal to guys over women... lets seee.... MOST OF THEM until more recent history.

Yea ok brie Larson (or whatever her name is.) made a bunch of internet trolls angry once by saying their opinion isn't important to them. How does that have shit to do with this movie?

Wait what? I thought she got her powers by absorbing Ms Marvel's powers?

Ah yeah I just checked it, for some reason I thought it was Mar Vell she absorbed, but it was Ms. marvel. Even the character is convoluted Danvers fused with MarVell due to Kree tech and then rogue absorbed that power from Danvers or Khan? Either way it's still total bullshit that she is the most powerful Marvel character when you have Stark become Eternity eventually and you have Phoenix Jean Grey that could probably rip her in half.

It's a hard fact of life that some groups get to say things other groups don't. Whites got to yell the N word out all they wanted back in the day and now they have to bite their tongues when all the rappers say it nonstop and they can't. Payback is a mother! Men got to act like pigs around women forever and now they don't get free run of things, that's just how it goes. We often have to pay for the sins of our fathers.

Larson's comments about the movie isn't for men, is just a different way of saying what men have said for years already about such movies. I don't take it as a "OMG sexist" comment. I take it as a warning label. We've call then "chick flicks" for 30+ years now, and that was OK. But when a woman says "This movie isn't for men" instead of saying "Hey this movie is totally a chick flick" I'm supposed to be offended? Nah, I can't get that worked up over it.

The rest of her being interviewed by too white dudes is mostly her virtue signaling to show what a great person she is. Maybe she really believes it, maybe she's just playing the hollywood game. Either way, that's her personal choice just like Hollywood stars who are anti-vaxxers or pro communists.
Dalexx said:

No, you see this is where you and people like brie demonstrate that you don't understand equality. This isn't about us feeling like we are "missing out". I'm not missing out, I do not and have never used the type of language in question here. As such I find it reprehensible that any group be allowed to use it. Equality means EVERYONE is treated the same. Special interest groups aren't equality and sorry but that isn't even a debatable point. The entire problem with your premise is that it assumes I am like my ancestors and just "looking for an opportunity" to be sexist, racist etc etc. This is an absolutely abhorrent assumption and frankly anyone who makes this kind of assumption about people should be deeply ashamed of themselves. I'm not my ancestors, I was never a slave owner, I was never a racist, I was never a male chauvinist, I was never a homophobe and being told that I deserve to share the same punishment as those people and that I should be "OK" with the other groups getting their "Turn" now frankly makes me angrier than anything ever has in my life. This concept isn't equality, it is just another toxic awful group wanting to be the superior group and continue this awful cycle of hate going. The fact that I'm literally sitting here reading someone who I presume was born in the last 50 years actually post drivel like that honestly makes me ill. We are supposed to become better as a society, not regress into the same awful cycles. I'm sorry but both groups in my eyes are equally shitty people as both groups are blatantly *ist.

As far as what the movie has to do with things, it is simple. Brie is the face of the movie and she made flagrantly sexist comments pertaining to the movie. Supporting the movie is supporting her which is supporting sexism. Sorry but that is just how it works.

Outside of that, i couldn't care less about the movie and likely would have watched it at some point like I have all the other films of this type. I don't care who the main actor or actress is. I judge them based on how good of a job they did portraying the role and how well the film was done. However I will absolutely speak out against films attempting to push an agenda of sexism or racism no matter which group is behind it and I will utterly refuse to support those films. Case and point, Mel Brooks was one of my favorite actors and directors up until he proved to be utterly reprehensible. I haven't patronized a single thing he has done since that point. I do not tolerate that kind of behavior from anyone.

To each their own, but I don't think it's anywhere near as good as Black Panther. The plot was boring, and Brie Larson's acting was wooden. The cat was the best part.
If this movie turns out to be even close to BP, I'll be thrilled. That was one of my favorite marvel flicks. Iron Man and the First Avengers flick are my other tops...I'd have to go back and rewatch them all to decide which was best. I vaguely recall like Civil War too.

No, you see this is where you and people like brie demonstrate that you don't understand equality. This isn't about us feeling like we are "missing out". I'm not missing out, I do not and have never used the type of language in question here. As such I find it reprehensible that any group be allowed to use it. Equality means EVERYONE is treated the same. Special interest groups aren't equality and sorry but that isn't even a debatable point. The entire problem with your premise is that it assumes I am like my ancestors and just "looking for an opportunity" to be sexist, racist etc etc. This is an absolutely abhorrent assumption and frankly anyone who makes this kind of assumption about people should be deeply ashamed of themselves. I'm not my ancestors, I was never a slave owner, I was never a racist, I was never a male chauvinist, I was never a homophobe and being told that I deserve to share the same punishment as those people and that I should be "OK" with the other groups getting their "Turn" now frankly makes me angrier than anything ever has in my life. This concept isn't equality, it is just another toxic awful group wanting to be the superior group and continue this awful cycle of hate going. The fact that I'm literally sitting here reading someone who I presume was born in the last 50 years actually post drivel like that honestly makes me ill. We are supposed to become better as a society, not regress into the same awful cycles. I'm sorry but both groups in my eyes are equally shitty people as both groups are blatantly *ist.

As far as what the movie has to do with things, it is simple. Brie is the face of the movie and she made flagrantly sexist comments pertaining to the movie. Supporting the movie is supporting her which is supporting sexism. Sorry but that is just how it works.

Outside of that, i couldn't care less about the movie and likely would have watched it at some point like I have all the other films of this type. I don't care who the main actor or actress is. I judge them based on how good of a job they did portraying the role and how well the film was done. However I will absolutely speak out against films attempting to push an agenda of sexism or racism no matter which group is behind it and I will utterly refuse to support those films. Case and point, Mel Brooks was one of my favorite actors and directors up until he proved to be utterly reprehensible. I haven't patronized a single thing he has done since that point. I do not tolerate that kind of behavior from anyone.

You misattributed a statement i made to someone else.

How are you being punished. I'd love to hear that and that was the inception my my comment to begin with. You are being punished because you can't use language to exclude a sex or race from something?

We do that all the time. Why there are still things called Men's Clubs. They aren't free the boobs clubs. Nor are they Nearly Naked Lady clubs. They are Men's clubs because they are clubs designed around and for Men. Typically men that want to look at nude or next to nude women that are there to make money by being attractive and seeming interested in the same men willing to spend money.

Even as at white male today I have advantages that members of some socioeconomic groups overwhelmingly represented by minority races in the US, even though I grew up in that socioeconomic group. I recognize I have advantages every day.

When I meet with professionals in my field they readily presume I have an educational background that equals, exceeds, or is on par with their own. When I drive into a neighborhood where the residents are largely upper income bracket people even in my older car I'm less likely to get hassled. Why... because EVEN TODAY appearances matter.

Now is it YOUR fault this happened? No it isn't. But the only way to call it out is with a broad stroke JUST LIKE people in similar socioeconomic groups did to other races/peoples before.

Is every special interest group right or just? Nope. I'm rather positive that every special interest group or PAC has interests that benefit themselves or others in their 'group' more than they would benefit others not in their group. That is the way it has always been.

I agree what you want in everyone being equal to everyone else is ideal. But unless you have big money or are a nationally or even internationally known issue you won't get the influence you need to cause that. And once you obtain that level of influence you will be out for yourself or your group. If you weren't you wouldn't today get to that point of having influence.

I kind of bounced around a bit and I apologize for that.

I will say this though. We can not blindly accept everything. I applaud you questioning or even being offended by something understand it or not. The real measure though for that next step is educating oneself as to the reason for the outrage or distaste. And if it is strong enough I encourage you to act to do something about it within the legal systems that exist today.

You misattributed a statement i made to someone else.

How are you being punished. I'd love to hear that and that was the inception my my comment to begin with. You are being punished because you can't use language to exclude a sex or race from something?

We do that all the time. Why there are still things called Men's Clubs. They aren't free the boobs clubs. Nor are they Nearly Naked Lady clubs. They are Men's clubs because they are clubs designed around and for Men. Typically men that want to look at nude or next to nude women that are there to make money by being attractive and seeming interested in the same men willing to spend money.

Even as at white male today I have advantages that members of some socioeconomic groups overwhelmingly represented by minority races in the US, even though I grew up in that socioeconomic group. I recognize I have advantages every day.

When I meet with professionals in my field they readily presume I have an educational background that equals, exceeds, or is on par with their own. When I drive into a neighborhood where the residents are largely upper income bracket people even in my older car I'm less likely to get hassled. Why... because EVEN TODAY appearances matter.

Now is it YOUR fault this happened? No it isn't. But the only way to call it out is with a broad stroke JUST LIKE people in similar socioeconomic groups did to other races/peoples before.

Is every special interest group right or just? Nope. I'm rather positive that every special interest group or PAC has interests that benefit themselves or others in their 'group' more than they would benefit others not in their group. That is the way it has always been.

I agree what you want in everyone being equal to everyone else is ideal. But unless you have big money or are a nationally or even internationally known issue you won't get the influence you need to cause that. And once you obtain that level of influence you will be out for yourself or your group. If you weren't you wouldn't today get to that point of having influence.

I kind of bounced around a bit and I apologize for that.

I will say this though. We can not blindly accept everything. I applaud you questioning or even being offended by something understand it or not. The real measure though for that next step is educating oneself as to the reason for the outrage or distaste. And if it is strong enough I encourage you to act to do something about it within the legal systems that exist today.

How am I being punished? Oh I don't know..only being told what feels like every single day in recent years that because I'm a "white male" I have some privilege or that I'm toxic by default, or that I'm naturally sexist or that I'm naturally racist or whatever other insane argument the sjw driven media are pushing today. The very concept of "White male Privilege" is just laughable on its face. I've had to struggle for every single thing I have. I never have had someone assume I had something just because of the color of my skin. I'm glad you have been so privileged, but kindly don't project your life on to mine. I haven't once in my life experienced any "Privilege".

Strip clubs haven't been male exclusive for a long long time. I haven't gone into one in many years, but last time I was there it was at least a third women. Obviously this varies by region, but the point is they don't exclude anyone from coming in the door. There are institutions however that do exclude groups by race and or sex, but they sure as heck aren't for white men because that would be racist. Now while I don't particularly care about said institutions personally, the fact is it is a hypocritical double standard that exists.

Alita Battle Angel is still a better movie with a female heroine and nobody bats an eye. Brie Larson says negative things about white men and feminists call out misogyny.

Alita was not a better movie than Captain Marvel.

when cap or stark leaves im done with marvel!

Yeah, I think Stark is one of the best things going for the franchise. Thor and Hulk are fun, but Black Panther, Scarlet Witch, and the supporting characters aren't all that compelling for the most part. Kinda like Dr. Strange though, if only because he is fairly similar to Stark.

Back