"Captain Marvel" Trolled the Trolls with a $455M Global Launch

Not going to give marvel any money for this movie, no desire to see it, praying that it does not dovetail into End Game with Capt SJW saving everyone with MUHWOMANPOWAH!

Please let gamora and Nebula kill Thanos, that would be the best ending ever.

I got bad news for you.....

Anyone who isn't a straight, white man will get a pass.

Oh please. You know damn well that isn't true. People give a pass to straight white male actors all the fucking time. Any actor really. They can be a complete piece of shit person and people will still give them a pass. Larson doesn't even come close to ranking up with some of the people that audiences give a pass to.

Oh please. You know damn well that isn't true. People give a pass to straight white male actors all the fucking time. Any actor really. They can be a complete piece of shit person and people will still give them a pass. Larson doesn't even come close to ranking up with some of the people that audiences give a pass to.

Depends on the white actor. If you tow the party line, you can do almost anything until it's so egregious that Hollywood can't cover for you anymore.

False. That used to be true, but it definitely is not true anymore. If you criticize a white male actor now, what happens? Nothing happens. If you criticize a female or minority actor now what happens? Hella backlash happens.

I'd say it was a solid 7/10 (Where 5/10 is average), it was worth a watch and had some funny moments. Samuel L Jackson played the part well.

Does not hold up to the best in the franchise (ragnarok was a lot better) but origins are always tricky.

False. That used to be true, but it definitely is not true anymore. If you criticize a white male actor now, what happens? Nothing happens. If you criticize a female or minority actor now what happens? Hella backlash happens.

Criticise Tom Cruise too much and a certain "Church" might come and "detain" you lol.

Tom Cruise, Mel Gibson, Woody Allen, Woody Harrelson.

Tom Cruise, you will have to share what he has done. He has been heavily criticized and lost many fans over the years because of his involvement with Scientology. He has been consistently made fun of for his interviews defending it, and almost became too much of a laughing stock for it to even use in movies. It is when he started backing down from that and just focused on movies that he regained popularity.

Mel Gibson is a pariah. He has been heavily criticized by Hollywood and society. He lost many roles because of his actions. Not even sure why you would try to pass him off here.

Woody Allen, really? Woody Allen is almost universally despised. He got a pass in the past, but he doesn't get a pass now.

Woody Harrelson also heavily criticized for comments he made. Also lost roles and fans because of his actions.

You know what is different from these actors and Larsen right now? All of these actors have apologized for their actions. Even Tom Cruise apologized for his zealous behavior.

See, if you are a white male and have opinions contrary to others, you have to apologize. If you are female or a minority and have opinions contrary to others, its the other people that need to apologize.

Criticise Tom Cruise too much and a certain "Church" might come and "detain" you lol.

No, they won't. They can really only do that to members of their own church. But what they can do is try to exert pressure through their contacts in Hollywood. And what they certainly will try to do is come out and discredit you through some media campaign.

The reality though is that Scientology is losing their influence and control. It is very hard for them to compete with the current climate of instant information which directly combats their ideology.

Meh, I'm an older relic who's a bit burned out by Disney myself, though I might watch it when it's released to the streamers as a rental. Not really in a hurry.

In the meantime, I've got films like Flags of our Fathers should I feel the need to immerse myself in something espousing heroism. At least it's based on something I can relate to:

iwo-jima-flag-raising-identity-error.jpg

Due to the review bombing (both positive and negative) all over the net its pretty much going to impossible to get anything resembling a real feel for how most users feel about it. That said, I've been hearing pretty good things about it.

The first half of the movie is boring AF it picks up about half way through, but ignoring the Larson SJW scene and controversy, on average I would say its just an average movie at best, Larson isn't really a good fit for the role and she isn't a good actress, the movie does push feminist values but I wouldn't say they are positive ones as its based on sentiments from the 1800's and earlier social scene(not to say there aren't shitty people in this world that emulate those times), effects are good as usual, but the plot was mediocre and really didn't make much sense for the MCU and felt forced. From a Marvel Comic fan point of view It was a travesty to the story and history. The cat was the best part of the movie if that tells you anything.

All that said it depends what kind of Movie goer you are -
1) - If you are a Marvel Comics fan you will most likely hate it and you know the history of Mar Vell and the most disliked/hated version of Ms. Marvel.
2) - If you are a fan of the MCU it was average at best
3) - If you are a film buff I would say slightly lower than average for cinema
4) - Average movie goer average to above average.
5) - Female Feminist - Will hate the character as she represents more a Zealot rather than a realistic representation of feminine strengths(sentiment from a few females after watching)
- Female SJW(or Mary Sue identifiers) - More interested in the controversy than the actual Movie, Will love the movie 10/10 IGN style not matter how good or bad it was.
- Anti-Feminists - 0/10 IGN style, once again no matter how good or bad it was.

Honestly on ANY rating site I would ignore all 10/10 or 0/1/10 reviews as they are trolling on both sides, everyone knew it would make money, but the amount of money it is making isn't based on how good or bad the actual movie actually is, the numbers basically are propped up by movie goers more willing to prove a social point due to all the controversy. IMO Marvel knew they had just an average Movie on their hands so they allowed Brie Larson to run rampant to kick up numbers and pack theaters also the numbers are skewed as they were giving away millions of tickets as promotions, so I wouldn't be surprised if the movie doesn't actually make a lot more than other average Marvel movies after the revenue is subtracted by the spending.

Reactions: GT98
like this
I hate superhero movies but I am glad to see this movie do well if it is truly any good (the reviews say it is above average).

Trolling the trolls? Wtf? Its ALL MARKETING. I bet you money social media marketing agents have a term for a vocal minority of internet users (such as whomever 'attacks' captain marvel, whomever 'they' are) they are being intentionally triggered, and then used, in the process of 'attacking' them they amplify the meaning and voice of this slim minority, create bullshit 'controversy' that makes it as far as actual large news sites..
VERY effective and VERY cheap. Utter some bullshit, wait of the smallest repsonse, amplify it.. indirectly respond or start some rumor about a response (response is such that would trigger this minority further) amplify rinse and repeat.
Shit i would not be surprised if some on this minority are paid employees or 3rd party contracts from Disney and Marvel. For sure they have paid people in 'defending' against 'the dangerous troll movement'
See the Far Cry 5 incident. Ubisoft used a similar strategy for New Dawn, though it wasn't as obvious this time around.

It was a fun movie that I really enjoyed. Had some nice jabs at the she man woman haters out there. Overall it was a hell of a lot of fun. Though she is CLEARLY the most powerful marvel character to date... other than MAYBE hulk on full rampage but it would be close. Thor and Loki... yea no they don't stand a chance really. Unless thor is in full on god mode then it's still a... maybe.

She's not Captain America, and has nothing to do with him. She's her own character.

She was actually first TV introduced in the 90's X-Men series. (She's been a comic character for way longer, though.)

Uhmm no, Captain Marvel was a man by the name of Mar'Vell a Kree Alien, when he died he passed his powers on to Rogue from the X-Men, you are referring to Ms. Marvel and has had over 5 female incarnations with Danvers being the least liked.

Saw the movie, it was trash, I don't mean super bad or anything, it's just one of those movies you watch when you have nothing else to do and forget you ever watched it.

Now, I have had people hate on me for this...But I have thought the same about most of the newer Marvel movies. They look great over all, but are totally forgettable. Black Panther, Aquaman, Dr. Strange, etc etc all fall into this same category for me. Female lead or not, trash movie is trash movie. Just doesn't feel like they care at all, which hey, I don't blame them, they still make lots of money off of them and well....I went to see it with everyone else even though I had low expectations. It's much like the Starwars movies, I still go to see them even though I can't remember the last one I thought was anything other than a money grab.

See the Far Cry 5 incident. Ubisoft used a similar strategy for New Dawn, though it wasn't as obvious this time around.

The goal is to get people to talk about it. The journalism sites generate more google searches and ad revenue as well. You sell controversy so that way the marketing of the movie becomes self sustaining. Then the name of the movie reaches people it wouldn't have before. Then people go see it to see what all the fuss is about blah blah.

I really wouldn't be surprised if you are right with this and it was just seeded to create a wave of talking about the movie.

Tom Cruise, you will have to share what he has done. He has been heavily criticized and lost many fans over the years because of his involvement with Scientology. He has been consistently made fun of for his interviews defending it, and almost became too much of a laughing stock for it to even use in movies. It is when he started backing down from that and just focused on movies that he regained popularity.

Mel Gibson is a pariah. He has been heavily criticized by Hollywood and society. He lost many roles because of his actions. Not even sure why you would try to pass him off here.

Woody Allen, really? Woody Allen is almost universally despised. He got a pass in the past, but he doesn't get a pass now.

Woody Harrelson also heavily criticized for comments he made. Also lost roles and fans because of his actions.

You know what is different from these actors and Larsen right now? All of these actors have apologized for their actions. Even Tom Cruise apologized for his zealous behavior.

See, if you are a white male and have opinions contrary to others, you have to apologize. If you are female or a minority and have opinions contrary to others, its the other people that need to apologize.

Cruise keeping his head down has helped him regain popularity, but it doesn't change that he gets a free pass because he is a good actor and people like watching him (myself included).

Gibson is seeing a career resurgence recently. He was even nominated for a best director Oscar a couple years back for Hawksaw Ridge.

Allen is still writing and directing, people still want to work with him and his work still gets positive attention.

Harrelson may have been criticized but he still gets high profile roles, even from companies like Disney.

My point was that general audiences will look past a lot of stuff actors do or say. It doesn't matter what their gender or skin color is. Hell, there are people that want Roman Polanski to return to the US and direct movies again. It has nothing to do with towing "party lines" or any of that shit. Twitter drama is rather irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. If an actor is popular enough they could almost quite literally get away with murder.

Saw the movie, it was trash, I don't mean super bad or anything, it's just one of those movies you watch when you have nothing else to do and forget you ever watched it.

Now, I have had people hate on me for this...But I have thought the same about most of the newer Marvel movies. They look great over all, but are totally forgettable. Black Panther, Aquaman, Dr. Strange, etc etc all fall into this same category for me. Female lead or not, trash movie is trash movie. Just doesn't feel like they care at all, which hey, I don't blame them, they still make lots of money off of them and well....I went to see it with everyone else even though I had low expectations. It's much like the Starwars movies, I still go to see them even though I can't remember the last one I thought was anything other than a money grab.
That's exactly how I think about all these movies.. I might carve out an exception for Logan, but that's about it. Agree 100% they are trash in terms of 'art' or enriching you in some little way.
These movies are Whoopers Burgers.. its a bit sad, and a little more worrying each year if I am honest, that we are on a straight Whooper burger cinema diet.
It worries me a little when someone here in real life calls these movies Oh its GREAT!, I am usually thinking really? this is GREAT! for you??
I too don't say much either... sometimes...
I call these movies, 'OK' or 'it was entertaining'.. really thinking they are shit, enternaining shit, but shit none the less, like a Whooper.

Last edited:
I liked the movie quite a bit. I wouldn't say its one of the top 5 Marvel movies, but I would easily give it a 7.5/10.

Can't wait for End Game!

To each their own, but I don't think it's anywhere near as good as Black Panther. The plot was boring, and Brie Larson's acting was wooden. The cat was the best part.

Well she was suppose to be wooden. She was a highly training Seal Team kind of soldier. So I expect her to be that way IMO.

Cruise keeping his head down has helped him regain popularity, but it doesn't change that he gets a free pass because he is a good actor and people like watching him (myself included).

Gibson is seeing a career resurgence recently. He was even nominated for a best director Oscar a couple years back for Hawksaw Ridge.

Allen is still writing and directing, people still want to work with him and his work still gets positive attention.

Harrelson may have been criticized but he still gets high profile roles, even from companies like Disney.

My point was that general audiences will look past a lot of stuff actors do or say. It doesn't matter what their gender or skin color is. Hell, there are people that want Roman Polanski to return to the US and direct movies again. It has nothing to do with towing "party lines" or any of that shit. Twitter drama is rather irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. If an actor is popular enough they could almost quite literally get away with murder.

You keep saying "free pass", but none of these actors are getting that as I mentioned and you even admit. Things they have done have affected their careers, changed how people interact with them, change what their fans think. How is that a "free pass"? How are fans looking past what they have done when they have all apologized for their actions? I think you are confusing "free pass" with giving second chances based on apologies and repentance.

Also realize all these people have lost fans forever for their actions. Saying someone gets a "free pass" because some fans don't care is ridiculous. In that sense everyone gets a free pass.

I liked the movie quite a bit. I wouldn't say its one of the top 5 Marvel movies, but I would easily give it a 7.5/10.

Can't wait for End Game!
theres the problem, now a days if something isn't atleast 8/10 its not good anymore, if your game or movie scores 6/10 or less you might as well kill yourself lol. People seem to not be willing to let things be "OK" and now adays with clickbate grabbing titles from reviewers its either amazing or its trash not worthy of being watched ever lol

While i get your point, I don't totally follow the "If anyone else had said\done X...they would have been fired\killed\stoned" It's rarely that absolute. The other part is, while I can disagree with her statements, I also don't kneejerk react and call her statement instant sexist. I think everyone should try to give the most charitable interpretation of what someone says and not go straight into "OMG Sexist\Racist\Homophobe!" mode. And based on the box officer results, the movie wasn't the huge bomb her critics predicted it would be, because most people either heard her statements and didn't care or said "Well, that is just her opinion, I'm still watching the movie"
Except her statement was flatly and indisputably sexist. I mean I understand when someone makes a statement that clearly was intended innocently and at worst was just in bad taste. However her statement left zero room to question the intent. It was blatantly sexist and there is no getting around that fact. She for away with it only because she is female and I'm sorry but that's a bullshit double standard. I don't understand how you don't get my if someone else said it bit. That is pretty clear. So I'll give you an example.

She said " this movie isn't made for white men.

Now let's say a white guy said "This movie isn't made for black women".

Are you going to try to argue that he wouldn't be utterly crucified? No you aren't because it is offensively racist and sexist. Well so was her statement. Only two words changed.

Watched it twice, excellent criticisms of 'journalists'... yeah click bait mills are really not helping, I guess anything on the internet... but it is easy to do though.

I really wish we could go back to the 'don't feed the trolls' mentality of the 00's.

Well she was suppose to be wooden. She was a highly training Seal Team kind of soldier. So I expect her to be that way IMO.

Personally I know female law enforcement and military personnel, and what you are saying is basically a garbage trope, most of them have more personality than normal people because they switch it off when times demand it, and that means when they don't have to be that way they tend to be excessive with it or more liberal in a good way.

Except her statement was flatly and indisputably sexist. I mean I understand when someone makes a statement that clearly was intended innocently and at worst was just in bad taste. However her statement left zero room to question the intent. It was blatantly sexist and there is no getting around that fact. She for away with it only because she is female and I'm sorry but that's a bullshit double standard. I don't understand how you don't get my if someone else said it bit. That is pretty clear. So I'll give you an example.

She said " this movie isn't made for white men.

Now let's say a white guy said "This movie isn't made for black women".

Are you going to try to argue that he wouldn't be utterly crucified? No you aren't because it is offensively racist and sexist. Well so was her statement. Only two words changed.
'Thas a non-sensical comment, on her behalf.
I saw a wrinkle in time, and paid attention!
I am not a black woman, and I can criticize it quite well.
Actually is was a movie with a fair amount of good elements.. the mystical aspects of it suffered though, I think that was its biggest downfall.
I don't know the book (its a book right?), I imagine it is a lot more complicated than the movie, which is why tackling the mysticism must have been quite hard.. I think they should have wrote it for adults (of any color) and hope kids liked it too without really understanding squat.
I don't know what 'the boy' was there for, I don't know what they insisted on Oprah (she paid for it? worked for free?... if they paid her the millions she would have to get paid it was a waste of money is what I am getting at).

b2sZgRu.jpg

~167 today.

Box office, a true measurement of a movie's quality.

And it's not like they're manipulating user reviews for the movie or something. Nah, it's them trolls doing trollish things... or women haters.

Last edited:
That's exactly how I think about all these movies.. I might carve out an exception for Logan, but that's about it. Agree 100% they are trash in terms of 'art' or enriching you in some little way.
These movies are Whoopers Burgers.. its a bit sad, and a little more worrying each year if I am honest, that we are on a straight Whooper burger cinema diet.
It worries me a little when someone here in real life calls these movies Oh its GREAT!, I am usually thinking really? this is GREAT! for you??
I too don't say much either... sometimes...
I call these movies, 'OK' or 'it was entertaining'.. really thinking they are shit, enternaining shit, but shit none the less, like a Whooper.

They are superhero movies not outstanding quality cinema masterpieces, and I'm sorry this day and age Movies just plain suck anything of really good quality and material just doesn't get made or becomes a low selling movie while trash gets all the money at the box office that's why alot of good/great films are indie movies or you have the overratted trash 10/10 IGN scoring, I mean take a look at any film in the past 10years within the top 5 spots how many are kids/family movies. Out of these movies anything can be considered great, I still can't rationalize spending the cost of tickets and a popcorn and soda for under 3 hours of entertainment that is "OK" when I can buy a game and get days to months of entertainment out of them, but to each his own.

'Thas a non-sensical comment, on her behalf.
I saw a wrinkle in time, and paid attention!
I am not a black woman, and I can criticize it quite well.
Actually is was a movie with a fair amount of good elements.. the mystical aspects of it suffered though, I think that was its biggest downfall.
I don't know the book (its a book right?), I imagine it is a lot more complicated than the movie, which is why tackling the mysticism must have been quite hard.. I think they should have wrote it for adults (of any color) and hope kids liked it too without really understanding squat.
I don't know what 'the boy' was there for, I don't know what they insisted on Oprah (she paid for it? worked for free?... if they paid her the millions she would have to get paid it was a waste of money is what I am getting at).

This has literally nothing to do with what I wrote.

Brie didn't feel wooden to me at all. Do you guys NOT GET what they were doing in this movie? Did you NOT understand the funny in Fury going all goo goo over the cat? Are you really that caught up in yourselves and the "Women can't do that" bullshit?

Damn near the entire movie was MEANT to be this way. With Brie playing the historically male role AS a MALE would have played it. Notice who's washing dishes and who's drying dishes? Who Drives? All of it through the entire damn movie. That was the POINT. I don't chalk that up to bad acting at all. I chalk that up to the Actor playing their role probably as directed.

Maybe you don't like that? Maybe you want a female lead that cries every other time they turn around because of the painful level of responsibility if only a man could take it on for them.

If that's your deal fine.

If you didn't just like the movie... fine.

But stop playing dumb. Or if you didn't get it... well then... I'm sorry?

Uhmm no, Captain Marvel was a man by the name of Mar'Vell a Kree Alien, when he died he passed his powers on to Rogue from the X-Men, you are referring to Ms. Marvel and has had over 5 female incarnations with Danvers being the least liked.

Wait what? I thought she got her powers by absorbing Ms Marvel's powers?

saw the movie on Friday, it was like Thor 1. It was fine, a little cringe in some places. Fights were average, lots of cuts, lots of cg at the end which looked good.

overall story was stronger then i was expecting, maybe not delivered the best but villain was good.

7/10

If captain marvel was more a straight up character and not a "i'm a girl" type cliche it would be more enjoyable.

be a strong character, I dont care if your a girl or not.

see Alitta:battle angel for tips.

Ohhhh I get it. Because Brie didn't play a character that fell in love with a man who was given a snippet of her powers then did something stupid and got himself killed over it before she THEN found the motivation to take on the evil empire looming over us all it would have been a better movie?

While I did enjoy Battle Angel Alita, they are DIFFERENT movies with DIFFERENT characters told in a different fashion. In my opinion they told the story of the character well and did a good job. It was fun to watch. If this was the first Marvel movie instead of Iron Man 2 it would have been a stunning movie and a lot of fun. But lets face it... Brie Larson at least from what I have seen thus far. Doesn't have the personality chopps that the guy that plays Iron Man does. So they went Iron Man.

Capitan Marvel didn't need her lover to die to feel for him and do the right thing. Nothing like that happened in the movie. It didn't NEED TO AT ALL. Now maybe you want that for your female leads. They need to weep at the loss of the male before they can do something? I don't know.

I like that they roles were different and delivered well in both cases at least in my opinion.

Back