"Captain Marvel" Trolled the Trolls with a $455M Global Launch

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The alleged review bombing of Captain Marvel wasn’t enough to prevent Disney’s latest film from becoming another box-office success: film journalists, who have spent weeks defending the film from a so-called “sexist smear campaign,” are now gloating over the movie’s $455M worldwide haul. It remains to be seen just how far Carol Danvers can fly, however, as Captain Marvel has prompted some of the worse reviews for a Marvel film to date, as well as a 57% Audience Score. (That score reportedly sunk to 33% before Rotten Tomatoes removed thousands of reviews due to a “bug.”)

So, no, the opening night bombardment of aggressively negative user reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, Metacritic and IMDB were not indicative of the general moviegoing populace. I know, I'm just as shocked—shocked—as you are. For what it's worth, this is the fifth-biggest female-led debut weekend of all time, behind only (again, sans inflation and 3-D bumps) The Hunger Games: Catching Fire ($158 million in 2013 sans 3-D), Beauty and the Beast ($174m in 2017), Star Wars: The Last Jedi ($220m in 2017) and Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($248m in 2015).

Due to the review bombing (both positive and negative) all over the net its pretty much going to impossible to get anything resembling a real feel for how most users feel about it. That said, I've been hearing pretty good things about it.

My gut says this will be in the same vein as the original Thor and Captain America movies. Tolerable, but ultimately underwhelming.

I have no particular desire to see it, and yet I will, just so I know what the fuck is going on when I go to Avengers: End Game in a few months.

The trailers made it look like they cast someone worse at acting that whoever played wonder woman. Maybe if I cared more about the whole avengers thing I'd bother going, but captain marvel feels like redbox material to me.

My gut says this will be in the same vein as the original Thor and Captain America movies. Tolerable, but ultimately underwhelming.

I have no particular desire to see it, and yet I will, just so I know what the fuck is going on when I go to Avengers: End Game in a few months.

That's what I've heard. A polished intro movie, just a little late since we're about to finish off Thanos...

I saw it today. Had pretty low expectations really. It was better than expected. The plot moves along well for an origin. Good soundtrack. Definitely a run of the mill marvel movie. To me that's not a bad thing as I like the marvel movies in general.

I'm looking forward to taking my daughter, and maybe wife, to go see this. I used to be a big comic book buff back in the late 80's and very much enjoy seeing these characters come to life on the big screen .. I'm still scarred by the first iterations of Captain America (way before Chris Evans took over) and the beer drinking biker dude Thor in one of the last made for TV Hulk movies way back when though....

I saw it. I liked it. It's a little late to be introducing such a power caracter into MCU EndGame.

And Gal Gadot rocked as Wonder Woman.

They need someone with the power to stand up to Thanos and likely to serve as the face of the MCU after Endgame. Either Stark or Cap will definitely die in Engame and the other is likely to retire or somehow pass the torch to someone else. Carol is likely going to the person to lead the Avengers following Endgame.

Black Panther's little sister I think will take over Stark's mantle

Black Panther's little sister I think will take over Stark's mantle

Shuri was a superhero in the comics at one point so its possible they could have her go that route. Though with the Marvel-Fox deal closing likely before Endgame is out they will have a lot of characters to pick from going forward.

I haven’t seen it yet because I live in the ass end of nowhere and the nearest theatre is 3h away assuming the roads are clear. Friends and family who have seen it say it was a good movie and don’t have any negative comments so I am looking forward to grabbing it on iTunes when it becomes available.

I haven’t seen it yet because I live in the ass end of nowhere and the nearest theatre is 3h away assuming the roads are clear. Friends and family who have seen it say it was a good movie and don’t have any negative comments so I am looking forward to grabbing it on iTunes when it becomes available.

the reviews aren't that bad.

here's a snippet of them

e0a.jpg

I'm already scared as it is always hearing women scream when I play BFV! Even when I die! Like I'm always a chick or something.

Its Maam damnit!

I'll pass! I dont remember a female Captain America in the comics.??

I’m inclined to agree. But to be honest I think I might just be getting sick of movies in general.

I've certainly been less enthusiastic about movies lately as well. Almost all media though. Seems like all they make is pop music now. Movies far more often than not are sequels of sequels or remakes. And how many battlefields, cod's, quakes, etc do we have? Is it any wonder that Fortnite and Apex and Minecraft and Roblox stuff are popular? I wish more companies would take some risks on new ideas and new properties.

Like the others that seen it, I liked it. It was a good origin story. As for not setting up anything for Avengers... It sets up the character. So you would at least understand that part. Gives a little bit of back story about some of the existing characters. Unsure if the Kree or Skrull show up in end game so can't say how that would play into that story.

I've certainly been less enthusiastic about movies lately as well. Almost all media though. Seems like all they make is pop music now. Movies far more often than not are sequels of sequels or remakes. And how many battlefields, cod's, quakes, etc do we have? Is it any wonder that Fortnite and Apex and Minecraft and Roblox stuff are popular? I wish more companies would take some risks on new ideas and new properties.

I agree wholeheartedly. I’ve started to read a lot more lately.

Reactions: gbnz
like this
I'm already scared as it is always hearing women scream when I play BFV! Even when I die! Like I'm always a chick or something.

Its Maam damnit!

What the hell are you rambling about?

Carol Danvers has been in comics since 1968. She's the reason the X-Man Rogue used to have super strength, flight, etc. She took on the Captain Marvel name back in 2012.

Its Maam damnit!

She's not Captain America, and has nothing to do with him. She's her own character.

She was actually first TV introduced in the 90's X-Men series. (She's been a comic character for way longer, though.)

the reviews aren't that bad.

here's a snippet of them

View attachment 147315

That is the same review copy and pasted over and over...

I actually saw the movie and while I kind of liked it, on the whole it was pretty bad. After so many super hero movies lately a lot of parts seemed like a setup for the audience to cheer and enjoy, but ultimately just fell flat. I was in a packed house IMAX showing and there was very little cheering or crowd reaction like most Marvel movies. Just in general it wasn't great, it had nothing to do with a female lead or anything like that. The End Game trailer scene was nothing special, people could just read a spoiler online on what it contains, and the post-post credits scene is only related to the Captain Marvel movie itself. I guess I was really hoping for a 90s action flick and aside from one flying chase scene that reminded me of Independence Day it was probably a bottom 3 normal Marvel flick.

Saw it, liked it, stands well above Thor and Capt America for starter movies. I put it in quality alongside Black Panther

I thought CM was pretty good. Same quality as the other Marvel movies that have came out the past few years.

Saw it, liked it, stands well above Thor and Capt America for starter movies. I put it in quality alongside Black Panther
100% agree and comparative with Black Panther.
Having no comic knowledge reference for Captain Marvel or Black Panther, Marvel was a solid story line, kept me entertained, and was reasonably action packed.
I recommend seeing it if you don't have any base knowledge for end game, it does help tie everything together.

I'm going to see it next weekend with the wife. It's the first movie we have watched since Aquaman. I thought Aquaman was ho-hom - not bad, but no desire to watch it again.
We'll see on Captain Marvel...

I saw it this morning with my wife and daughters. It was a typical Marvel film, nothing that great, and certainly not terrible. I'd give it a B... Though Jackson as Nick Fury was pretty amusing.

Saw Aquaman about a week ago. About the same, or maybe just a bit worse (B or B-)

So 455/2 for studio profits -150m budget - 130m advertizing and its still 50m+ in the red. It should make the studio itself money by next week.

It wasn't a bad movie but I'd say it was the worst MCU movie besides Thor 2. It lacked most of the humour that the movies usually have, Jude Law was just awful but other than that it was OK beside the plot being kindof garbage.
Theres no way shes more powerful than Thanos so I'm guessing Endgame will be a big letdown involving some convoluted scheme to reverse time.

So 455/2 for studio profits -150m budget - 130m advertizing and its still 50m+ in the red. It should make the studio itself money by next week.

You'd be right if that was how things work in Hollywood.

I saw it this morning with my wife and daughters. It was a typical Marvel film, nothing that great, and certainly not terrible. I'd give it a B... Though Jackson as Nick Fury was pretty amusing.

Saw Aquaman about a week ago. About the same, or maybe just a bit worse (B or B-)

ugh - Aquaman had so many lazy writer "coincidences" that I lost interest. Too many things that "had" to happen just magically did with no real explanation. HTF did they get from the desert to italy? Where the fuck did the floating submarine come from that conveniently let him fight out of the water? were the two most egregious examples.

That doesn't bode well for this one. Though I'll probably go see it anyway. All the political bullshit on both sides pissed me off, but if I didn't watch things based on the politics of those involved, I wouldn't have watch 3/4 of the stuff I have.

BB

Last edited:
ugh - Aquaman had so many lazy writer "coincidences" that I lost interest (too many things that "had" to happen just magically did with no real explanation. HTF did they get from the desert to italy? Where the fuck did the floating submarine come from that conveniently let him fight out of the water? were the two most egregious examples.

That doesn't bode well for this one. Though I'll probably go see it anyway. All the political bullshit on both sides pissed me off, but if I didn't watch things based on the politics of those involved, I wouldn't have watch 3/4 of the stuff I have.

BB

Aquaman was not written well, but it was a lot of fun. It honestly reminded me of pre-MCU comic book movies. Maybe something like Blade. Incredibly dumb, not well written, but pure fun with great action scenes and decent leads. Something that is pure fun is exactly what DC movies needed.

It was a fun movie that I really enjoyed. Had some nice jabs at the she man woman haters out there. Overall it was a hell of a lot of fun. Though she is CLEARLY the most powerful marvel character to date... other than MAYBE hulk on full rampage but it would be close. Thor and Loki... yea no they don't stand a chance really. Unless thor is in full on god mode then it's still a... maybe.

Back