"Captain Marvel" '90s-Style Website Will Have You Nostalgic for Dial-Up

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, Feb 10, 2019.

1. DejaWiz

DejaWiz Oracle of Unfortunate Truths

Ha that's pretty badass!

Well sure we do.

Definition of nostalgia.
    1 : the state of being homesick : homesickness.
    2 : a wistful or excessively sentimental yearning for return to or of some past period or irrecoverable condition also : something that evokes nostalgia.

2. Exavior

Exavior [H]ardForum Junkie

It is neat that the marketing team does stuff like this. Guardians of Galaxy had their 80s style poster. Now this movie bring back a era themed site.

3. TheOne&OnlyZeke

TheOne&OnlyZeke 100% Irish

I loVE it.

reminds me of my old shitty sites from back in the day

"NEED MOAR GIFS"

4. Monkey God

Monkey God Mangina Full of Sand

Websites back then looked like shit but imagine how fast the web today would be if we still coded/created things for limited bandwidth.

5. ChoGGi

ChoGGi [H]ard|Gawd

37292769, dang I still remember mine off the top of my head.

Armenius likes this.
  6. DeeFrag

DeeFrag [H]ardness Supreme

This brings me back to the days you could format a 1.44 MB floppy to be able to hold 1.7MB although the chance of the disk getting corrupted is much higher.

7. ChoGGi

ChoGGi [H]ard|Gawd

8. Verge

Verge [H]ardness Supreme

Link to a Link to a Link. Can nobody just link the actual site?

9. JohnnyGatt

JohnnyGatt GamingFace

I do, I remember making my first site just like this OMG I can use .Gifs !!! Flashing shit everywhere on my X-wing Game fan site! But then I was in high school then you was born and you was 10 when I was making pages just like this. :)

pizzathehutt likes this.
  10. Ultima99

Ultima99 [H]ardness Supreme

Ugh, the newfangled 90's web stuff. Bring back the good old days of 2400 dialup BBS action!

11. iamjanco

iamjanco Limp Gawd

Nostalgia for the 90s? No way, at least not at my end. But I do have a short story to share about my early days on the Internet, at least with respect to online privacy.

I was going through a pretty nasty interstate custody battle back around the end of 1994, one I couldn't afford. I was actually broke and pretty desperate, so I turned to the boards on Delphi and usenet looking for help. Anyway, the whole mess eventually ended in a stalemate of sorts, but my ex wasn't happy with the decision. So she posted her displeasure in a somewhat colorful way about the situation to one of the usenet groups, which some guy from JPL Labs responded to saying I should be castrated.

At the time, one of my additional jobs was Alternate Facility Security Manager where I worked, which meant I was responsible for the control of classified info (a large number of our jobs were classified government contracts, domestic and international, and I used to have to travel back and forth to the Federal Offices at the WTC as a courier). Being somewhat aware of the responsibilities associated with that, I took note of the fact that the guy who wanted to cut my Johnson off posted his opinion by way of his JPL email address.

So I searched for JPL's telephone number and called them. After explaining what happened to one of two people there, they put me through to their Security Manager, who was very apologetic about what happened and told me that he thought they had already "taken care of that" (meaning properly educating JPL staff about the use of JPL email for anything other than official JPL business).

I can't say for sure what happened after that, but given the discussion I had with JPL's security folks, I imagine someone was awarded one of those "lessons learned." It was also a lesson learned for me of course, one I wouldn't truly appreciate for a number of years to come.

Anyway, I like to think of the whole affair as my very first experience with the notion of epeen, and/or the lack thereof:

16c8y4.jpg

GoldenTiger likes this.
  12. NoOther

NoOther [H]ardness Supreme

I am definitely nostalgic about the 90s. Early chat, still had bulletin boards, IRC was king... "Just One More Turn..." became a thing... Ahh the good ole days...

tangoseal likes this.
  13. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

Especially with them designing for cell phones instead of desktop. And what is with this "Web 3.0" crap that is all about using space in the most inefficient way possible?

14. katanaD

katanaD [H]ard|Gawd

while they are doing it as a joke..

this site is for real

https://www.mountain-skies.org/

its an observatory up by big bear, and the copyright date is 2019..

hahaha

tangoseal and Armenius like this.
  15. modi123

modi123 [H]ardness Supreme

Funny Capt Marvel.

important bit in their page.

GoldenTiger, tangoseal and Armenius like this.
  16. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

4.08MB, still. Would take like 10-12 minutes to load on 56K :ROFLMAO:.

tangoseal likes this.
  17. pizzathehutt

pizzathehutt [H]Lite

Ah yes......Hey i still have both of my Kali keys, who wants to get a game of Descent, Mechwarrior2, or xwing vs tie fighter? message me your Kali handle, Mostly_Harmless is mine

18. zwof

zwof n00b

A bit disappointed TBH. It's all modern CSS, JS, flexbox and divs. Where's the tables, iframes, inline styling and shockwave/flash objects?!?!?!