capping bandwidth at server level

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by cyr0n_k0r, Aug 28, 2007.

1. cyr0n_k0r

cyr0n_k0r [H]ardness Supreme

Our servers are going into a data center here in a few months and we are being put on a 20mbps connection that is "burstable" to 100mbps.

I, however, do not want this. We are getting charged a great minimum price for the first 20mbps and I don't want to go over that. Is there a feature or good program with little overhead that can cap a server 2003 box's bandwidth to a set amount. (20mbps)

2. TopGun

TopGun Gawd

I think this would probably do the trick.
    Pretty customizable and doesn't have much overhead. Used it to cap my sisters
    at dial-up speed while I game and it works fine.

-Good Luck
    TopGun

3. cyr0n_k0r

I checked it out, looks like a great program. Cheap too, only $17 for the lite version which can do limits on an entire connection and not just on ports. Great!

I've emailed the devs to ask what kind of overhead this adds to the server, but I don't think it would be too bad.

4. Grentz

Grentz [H]ard as it Gets

that looks like a cool program, i have no use right now, but man you could have some fun with remote admin to cap other PCs on your network while gaming or doing other things you really need the speed for.

5. cyr0n_k0r

im looking at it to help make sure we never have a bandwidth issue that causes our company to have hundreds of dollars in bandwidth overage fees.

6. Nate7311

Nate7311 2[H]4U

Specifically what App. do you need to cap? IIS? Exchange? Custom App?

7. cyr0n_k0r

8. Ockie

Ockie *** Self Proclaimed Storage King ***

You can always toss in a cheap switch with some management or just a 10bt hub if you want 10mbit :D

netlimiter is a great tool, works great for folding farms so you don't have massive uploads consistently killing your gaming experience.