Capcom takes restrictions off company, can now buy shares in the company

ShamisOMally

[H]ard|Gawd
http://www.destructoid.com/capcom-shareholders-vote-to-not-block-company-sale-276699.phtml

While this is not "The company is up for sale", other companies now can come in and buy 51% of the stock, and thus own said company

This is a big change, as in 2008 the company was doing so poorly they enacted company policies to prevent outsiders from buying stock so they couldn't tell them what to do

Reportedly Capcom has less than 152 million left in the bank, and that was in 2013, they might be on their last legs folks

Well, I am hoping they can at least fart out Resident Evil 7 before they go out. All the rumors i've read is that it'll go back to the old survival-horror formula that made the series so great back in the day. Resident Evil is all I care about from that company. Or, sell it and give it to somebody could potentially make a good RE game... maybe Naughty Dog. I'd love a fucking Naughty Dog RE game.

That is disappointing consider it is the studio where the best fighting games come from.

As well as some iconic IPs (Mega Man etc).

Someone will snatch up something like Street Fighter but will it be as good? Only time will tell.

Well, I am hoping they can at least fart out Resident Evil 7 before they go out. All the rumors i've read is that it'll go back to the old survival-horror formula that made the series so great back in the day. Resident Evil is all I care about from that company. Or, sell it and give it to somebody could potentially make a good RE game... maybe Naughty Dog. I'd love a fucking Naughty Dog RE game.

Speaking of RE, I just got Revelations during a mid-week Steam sale. Does it rate better than 5 & 6?

If street fighter gets sold off. I swear to god it will ruin the series.

Capcom does one thing well and it is fighting games.

At the very least, Capcom has set a precedent for cranking out yearly (almost all paid if not full-price) Street Fighter updates so it's not like someone like EA could screw that much up.

I have no idea how I feel about this. While I love a lot of what Capcom does and has done, I'm not so sure they don't need some fresh blood over there, too. It seems like the best work they've done is when they let a series lie dormant for a while and re-think it. Once they find success, they tend to throw innovation out the window until people finally start complaining.

I have a feeling a company like Square Enix will gobble them up pretty fast. I'm just hoping whomever does (and I'm sure it will happen) will not be a 1st party (MS, Sony, or Nintendo) and Capcom will remain in the 3rd party business.

Or perhaps Facebook will buy them out and have them start developing exclusive content for their Oculus Rift hardware; a fart pushed out by Zuckerberg is likely worth more than the $152 million that Capcom has left in their coffers.

All this is is the shareholders telling Capcom they don't have faith in them growing anymore and a merger isn't of the table.
Just like Square-Enix, Namco-Bandai.
This doesn't mean they are going to be bought out. Just that the shareholders are not against such drastic options. Still, a hostile takeover isn't likely.

BTW You guys are all wrong.
Nexon, Tencent, GungHo.
Your huge Asian mobile publishers are the only ones that could attempt such a thing.
Nintendo, Sony, MS aren't even in the picture. No single platform holder can manage Capcom's IP's without castrating a percentage of the catalog. Even SEGA is in a better buying position than any of them...

This isn't a liquidation. Nobody can piece meal Capcoms IP's until they go bankrupt or sell it themselves. For a healthy(relatively) company, you either buy outright, or negotiate a merger.

another one of those old school companies who couldn't figure out how to move out of the 90s style of gaming.

though I may be bitter because they canned mega man legends 3

another one of those old school companies who couldn't figure out how to move out of the 90s style of gaming.

though I may be bitter because they canned mega man legends 3

Actually, Capcom did quite well for the longest time

But then On Disk DLC, selling incomplete games, selling bad games trying to compete with CoD etc, shifting almost HALF their resources to the mobile market?

Yeah, that's killing them.

All this is is the shareholders telling Capcom they don't have faith in them growing anymore and a merger isn't of the table.
Just like Square-Enix, Namco-Bandai.
This doesn't mean they are going to be bought out. Just that the shareholders are not against such drastic options. Still, a hostile takeover isn't likely.

BTW You guys are all wrong.
Nexon, Tencent, GungHo.
Your huge Asian mobile publishers are the only ones that could attempt such a thing.
Nintendo, Sony, MS aren't even in the picture. No single platform holder can manage Capcom's IP's without castrating a percentage of the catalog. Even SEGA is in a better buying position than any of them...

This isn't a liquidation. Nobody can piece meal Capcoms IP's until they go bankrupt or sell it themselves. For a healthy(relatively) company, you either buy outright, or negotiate a merger.

If those Korean companies get a hold of Capcom I'll stop supporting it. As I know they won't be able to make a competent fighter the way I know Capcom can.

If those Korean companies get a hold of Capcom I'll stop supporting it. As I know they won't be able to make a competent fighter the way I know Capcom can.

I don't think anyone will outright by Capcom.
They will probably end up in a merger like, NB and SE. Even if it's one of those Korean companies. But I bet it comes from left field by someone like Kadokawa or SEGA.
Ironically those 2 actually "outright" bought companies recently... (K:From Software and SEGA:Index/Atlus)
Capcom is valued at a little under $1 Billion.
It would take somewhere around $550 million to take 51% stake. That would decide who's name goes first....
Capcom would also fight a hostile takeover, as they said. They definitely wont be bought outright, but a merger is definitely in their future and would keep them alive.

That links to the previous announcement.
You didn't read a thing in this thread, did you? Its stating exactly what I said. Investors are NOT confident, the board WILL fight a hostile attempt, but it doesn't matter because they are bound by the stock holders that are saying they WILL accept a merger or buyout. That was what the whole 2008 clause was made to prevent. This is essentially the board against the shareholders now, because they dont want it(hence the attempt to renew the clause), but the shareholders do. But understand that, Hostile takeover =/= Buyout. They sometimes look similar in execution.

That links to the previous announcement.
You didn't read a thing in this thread, did you? Its stating exactly what I said. Investors are NOT confident, the board WILL fight a hostile attempt, but it doesn't matter because they are bound by the stock holders that are saying they WILL accept a merger or buyout. That was what the whole 2008 clause was made to prevent. This is essentially the board against the shareholders now, because they dont want it(hence the attempt to renew the clause), but the shareholders do. But understand that, Hostile takeover =/= Buyout. They sometimes look similar in execution.

http://shoryuken.com/2014/06/17/capcoms-takeover-defense-ends-after-shareholder-vote-open-to-buyout/

"At a shareholder meeting held yesterday, June 16, Capcom shareholders did not approve a proposal that would renew the company’s existing takeover defense. The countermeasure, which was originally adopted in 2008, kept Capcom from being bought out through a hostile takeover."

This is all they say

"they are ready “to make necessary measures within the admissible limits of applicable laws and regulations.”

but there defensive measures ended

Whoever might purchase CAPCOM they need to revisit Dragons Dogma, fix the small issues and release a proper One/PS4 version.

Back