Capcom Is Re-Releasing Street Fighter II on SNES Cartridges

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
To celebrate the 30th anniversary of Street Fighter, Capcom is re-releasing Street Fighter II in cartridge form: the only problem is that it costs $100 and can cause your SNES to catch on fire. According to a warning on retailer iam8bit’s site, the reproduction may cause consoles to overheat, and gamers are encouraged to have fire extinguishment equipment nearby.

Featuring one of two colored cartridges, each houses the original game code and fully playable on NTSC consoles - but that’s just the beginning! The “Legacy Cartridge Collection” embodies retro-inspired luxury, amplifying the core SNES box design with a glistening foil sheen, delicately embossed texture, chic spot varnish and an innovative tri-fold cover that opens to reveal bonus vintage art. Inside, we’re keeping it old-school by restoring the contents of the original instruction booklet, complete with a new archival cover print + secret pack-ins (to be revealed when you crack that shrink-wrap seal).

I am kind of curious as to how a repro cart can make the SNES overheat and catch fire. People have been making repro carts for YEARS and I have never heard of anything like that before. Maybe they are just covering their ass when people try and use it with unknown condition consoles.

I am kind of curious as to how a repro cart can make the SNES overheat and catch fire. People have been making repro carts for YEARS and I have never heard of anything like that before. Maybe they are just covering their ass when people try and use it with unknown condition consoles.

Yep. I'd call it a CYA clause, especially with all the weird ass third party SNES devices out there that are basically just emulators. Plus an original SNES is an old ass piece of hardware, so who knows what kind of nonsense is going on in something you find in a basement or at a garage sale.

That's a pretty scary disclaimer..

WARNING: Use of this reproduction game cartridge (the “Product”) on the SNES gaming hardware may cause the SNES console to overheat or catch fire. The SNES hardware is deemed a vintage collectible, so please exercise extreme caution when using the Product and make sure there is fire extinguishment equipment nearby. Use of the Product is at the sole risk of the user. The Product is sold “as is”. Neither iam8bit, Inc. nor Capcom Co, Ltd. make any representation or warranty, express or implied, of any kind, including any warranty of merchantability of fitness for a particular use, or that the Product is safe to use, and iam8bit, Inc. or Capcom Co, Ltd. shall have no liability for damage to property or persons arising from use of the Product. Nintendo of America is in no way associated with the release of this Product

Probably made in china. Therefore anything is possible.

Disregarding the entire WTF-nature of a cart causing your equipment to catch on fire, how the holy hell did this pass their legal department? I can't get our lawyer here to agree to standard software contract terms without a fight, and they're going to issue a *disclaimer* that you need a fire extinguisher on hand to use the product in its intended fashion? I can't even imagine how that conversation went...

An explosive device for my 25+ year old game console? Sure, why not?

Can I also get an exploding Sonic cart for my Genesis?

An explosive device for my 25+ year old game console? Sure, why not?

Can I also get an exploding Sonic cart for my Genesis?

You might have some luck there by forcing the fake Genesis cartridge that comes with the Sonic Mania L.E. into your Genesis.

I played the everloving crap out of this game, and someone stole my original copy; if there's one thing I'd drop some dime on, it's this.

I think I paid $120 way back in the days for the japanese version of this game cartridge at a local game shop just to play this ahead of the US release. It was so expensive but so worth it to me at the time.

I played the everloving crap out of this game, and someone stole my original copy; if there's one thing I'd drop some dime on, it's this.
But why? The original carts still sell for dirt cheap, US or uncensored Japanese release (your Nintendo too can display the color red). Capcom produced so many of these, there was new old stock floating around for the longest time. I checked on ebay right now and yes the market is still flooded. This release would only interest me if the game was expanded to support additional frames of animation, sounds etc. The cartridge size was too small, but the Turbo version fixed most of that.

The power of nostalgia. I don't get it. I'm as big of a Street Fighter fan as you'll find, but I don't really understand this. It's literally the same old cartridge and same old game for a system that's 20+ years old.
I'd rather see some classic merchandise, a new anniversary collection for the current systems, or literally anything else.

Reactions: blkt
like this
But I already have the old version that doesn't catch on fire. :(

B7Yyp8R.jpg

I'd ather have Street Fighter II on Steam/Gog instead of some self immolating red cartridge. :p

But I already have the old version that doesn't catch on fire. :(

B7Yyp8R.jpg

I'd ather have Street Fighter II on Steam/Gog instead of some self immolating red cartridge. :p

Just get SF4 on steam. It plays almost like SF2 with reimagined graphics.

Probably made in china. Therefore anything is possible.

Well my bet is there is something faulty in the cart itself. I don't think the cart's themselves can exert any control over the SNES hardware, like overclocking or anything, so assuming the SNES hardware itself is not faulty I don't know how the cart itself could affect the SNES hardware adversely causing a fire to start from the hardware. There is probably some faulty circuits or something on the cart itself that are causing a short and making some chip inside overheat. At least thats my theory.

The power of nostalgia. I don't get it. I'm as big of a Street Fighter fan as you'll find, but I don't really understand this. It's literally the same old cartridge and same old game for a system that's 20+ years old.
I'd rather see some classic merchandise, a new anniversary collection for the current systems, or literally anything else.
I would like to see a modern Anniversary Collection or Alpha Anthology as well, but seeing how Capcom handled HD Remix I'll just stick with PS1, PS2, Saturn or original Xbox ports for the consoles.

Knowing Capcom, they would contract a company to port existing code (like they did HD Remix with Dreamcast code) with lack of quality control or beta testing (except for a public test lol). There would likely be many bugs out the door, patched once and then abandoned with a list of existing bugs including platform specific.

Then there is the inevitable online gameplay demand, the issues for which there would be an attempt to compensate and surely affect the arcade accuracy of offline play because reasons.

The primary reason none of this will happen anytime soon: it would outsell Street Fighter V and the online community would shift.

LOL, where did you find this? They could have sourced it from Capcom (warning: Blanka face nightmares may ensue). Everything else is available as vectorized or png except maybe the title font, but I guess that's too much effort for a joke. Never mind, I am now noticing a lot of imperfections from the Capcom source due to improper storage. American artwork was so terrible during these times when they felt the need to 'localize' the cover art. Japan got this or this from that. Source

My god that looks aweful (artwise)
Yes, Street Fighter 4 looks awful (2008-2014) in screenshots as they were more focused on animation and overall experience. It looks better in motion. If you think that is bad, check out the theme song from SF4.

The reproduction carts sold out. 5500 fools parted with their money when they could have had SF2 or Turbo for $5-8 on eBay (that's right, for the same cost as an instruction manual), $20 boxed or brand new on Amazon for $42-43 (uncensored Japanese carts are pin compatible, just remove 2 plastic pegs in the system or game genie). US carts go for $8-15 and boxed for $30 because reasons. DeoxIT is your friend.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I remember paying $80 for the original SNES release at Babbages. They had a few games that were $80... FFII (FFIV) and FFIII (FFVI) were two others I remember paying that much for.

Back