Capcom Is Plastering In-Game Ads on Its Street Fighter V Characters

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Capcom hinted earlier this month it would be adding “sponsored content” to Street Fighter V, which essentially comprises in-game advertisements on costumes, stages, and loading screens. While fans were hoping it was a joke (the game has already reaped plenty from DLC sales), the developer updated the game this week as promised, inciting plenty of ridicule. Luckily, this sponsored content is optional, but it’s a disturbing peek at how advertisements could be presented in future titles.

I have this image in my head of Ryu and Ken and Chun-Li and Zangief and all the others sitting in a meeting room, listening to a suited and booted Capcom executive delivering a fancy Microsoft PowerPoint presentation on the "upside opportunity" of wearing adverts on their clothes. "I didn't rip Sagat's chest open for this," Ryu, fist clenched, whispers under his breath. "I WILL CRUSH YOU LIKE CORPORATE WHORE YOU ARE!" screams Zangief, who leaps out of his chair, his enormous arms outstretched.

NASCAR_Kyle_Busch_na101_large_KYBRR01.jpg

When I first saw mention of this a while back I assumed that it would be something blended into the background, but the examples I've seen really interfere with some of the aesthetic, which is lame.

I sure hope there is some backlash over this. This is not a gaming experience I want for every game in the next few years.

This is a great way to lose potential sales of the game itself. This is ridiculous.

Itd be cool if you could mod it and point at your own ads and skins like in RealGTA.

Better than lootboxes, etc. It's done in movies all the time, why not video games. Of course, with the current publisher mindset, we're going to end up getting base game (incomplete), paid DLC, subscription service, loot boxes, AND paid advertisements all in one.

So long as it is setting appropriate, I can't say this bothers me. For example in some backgrounds where you would expect to normally see billboards and signs, sure whatever. On costumes, absolutely not. Also frankly I am far less likely to purchase any product I see advertised in a game on principle.

annoying as fuck, but it does fit the "international tournament" vibe...

wouldn't work for mortal kombat or other underground/true streetfighter games

Those of you that watch Pro Boxing, UFC, WWE, ect... are you upset when you see sponsors? Why is this any different? I could see if they're making you watch commercials but a few well placed ads, not so much.

oh, why not just tatto them while we're at it, so much un-used real-estate there...

CM-Punk-Pepsi.jpg

article-2209233-153A3D19000005DC-645_310x469.jpg

Optional?

Is there a away to turn it off?

Yes.

I sure hope there is some backlash over this. This is not a gaming experience I want for every game in the next few years.

A ton. Memes all over the place. Capcom Cup was last night, chat was letting them have it, and (I'm sure intentionally) ZERO people on stream mentioned it. It is the biggest thing in SF besides Capcom Cup itself.

Itd be cool if you could mod it and point at your own ads and skins like in RealGTA.

Hacks are aplenty on the PC version, so this will probably happen sooner or later.

So long as it is setting appropriate, I can't say this bothers me. For example in some backgrounds where you would expect to normally see billboards and signs, sure whatever. On costumes, absolutely not. Also frankly I am far less likely to purchase any product I see advertised in a game on principle.

It's terrible. That article pretty much says it all. It completely ruins the look of the characters. For now, all of it is Capcom Pro Tour logos, but that can't last for too long smh. Despicable.

wtf is wrong with advertisers and their need to stick crap in your face everywhere? and wtf is wrong with society that puts up with it? If I paid for the game already I don't need to see real world ads in my fantasy world.... that's why I'm playing the game....

Thanks but something more than a one word answer would have been abit more useful.

For those that are looking to turn it off.

Go into Battle Settings in the main menu

Then Sponsored Content Settings

By default Sponsor Display and Loading & Stage ads are on you can toggle this off.

Well, after buying the main game for full price on release, buying the Season passes, and buying a few other items that are not included in those... ...so well over $100 (probably $140 or more), and actually enjoying the game quite a bit, I've uninstalled it. I don't care if the ads are optional. I didn't spend all that money for them to even add the "option" of displaying ads in my game. I will not buy another Capcom game now. That may seem like an overreaction, but that is what stepped over the line for me on an already "pushing it" sort of game. I also changed my positive review to a negative review. A lot of people already hated their nickel-dime model for this game. I didn't care because I have disposable income, and I liked the game. They need to receive a message though I think. Their recent review trends on Steam seem to indicate others agree.

I guess if they pulled the ads back out, after realizing how stupid it was, then maybe I'd consider reinstalling it, and buying more content and possibly games from them. Fat chance of that happening though.

Well, after buying the main game... well over $100... and actually enjoying the game... uninstalled...

They already got your money. You may as well play the game at this point. You're only screwing yourself.

I get that you want to boycott them for this, and I would understand not spending another dime on their products again, but to not use the product you already paid for?

So I'm mixed about this.....if they make you pay money for this ad plastered type of content, yeah fuck them......but if it's something like Mario Kart did, offering DLC for free but it's basically advertisement...I'm totally fine with that. I am ALWAYS down for free content as long as it doesn't break immersion.

mbmk.0.jpg

So I'm mixed about this.....if they make you pay money for this ad plastered type of content, yeah fuck them......but if it's something like Mario Kart did, offering DLC for free but it's basically advertisement...I'm totally fine with that. I am ALWAYS down for free content as long as it doesn't break immersion.

View attachment 128428

Fuck yeah, I use that Benz all the time in MK8.

What does the player get for viewing these ads? Is there any incentive to keep them enabled? (Stuff like in-game currency, faster leveling, discounts on things?) If not then then why would you add more clutter to your game?

What does the player get for viewing these ads? Is there any incentive to keep them enabled? (Stuff like in-game currency, faster leveling, discounts on things?) If not then then why would you add more clutter to your game?

Extra in game currency for viewing the ads.

They already got your money. You may as well play the game at this point. You're only screwing yourself.

I get that you want to boycott them for this, and I would understand not spending another dime on their products again, but to not use the product you already paid for?

While true, I do have plenty of other games to play. I will probably play it again, but it's definitely not high on my list at the moment. I also don't usually make "statements" like this, but this one was just more than I personally feel like taking.

Reactions: maro
like this
Optional?

Is there a away to turn it off?
Optional for now. Give them a inch and they will take 100 miles. What is next? Ads on Mega man's buster? We need to push back and tell Capcom fuck off with this shit. I don't even like ads where they make sence like sports games. Not in a street fighter game. Me and my fri nds play the sheet out of Street fighter games but after having the download a 20gb patch and have this stuff in. Fuck Capcom and game got uninstall. I love Devil may cry games and would of brought 5 but after the MT in the game and now this Capcom has lost me as a customer.

Haven't played SFV in awhile. They got generate additional revenue somehow.

Actually they don't. They charge through the nose for a few characters at a time, and they also sell locations, costumes, etc. They are in no way hurting for additional revenue.

Ha i remember hacking GTA to have real life billboards and real cars for better immersion

Thanks but something more than a one word answer would have been abit more useful.

For those that are looking to turn it off.

Go into Battle Settings in the main menu

Then Sponsored Content Settings

By default Sponsor Display and Loading & Stage ads are on you can toggle this off.
Sorry. Haven't played the game in months, so I don't know exactly how, and I assume that anyone on {H} could figure such a thing out with relative ease.

Back