Capcom declares global war on gamers

Shalafi

Fully [H]
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...-new-game-by-making-saved-games-permanent.ars

If you buy the new Capcom release "Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D, once you create a save file, that is YOUR save file, permanently.

When you open your brand-new copy of Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D today, you may find something interesting in the manual. "Note: Saved data on this software cannot be reset," you are warned. When you play the game and your progress is saved, there is no way to take it back. That is your game forever.

If you beat the game and want to reset the game to a fresh save file, you cannot do that. If you want to loan the game out to a friend, you cannot do that, it won't let your friend create his own save game file.

This simply crushes the secondary market, and you cannot resell your game and expect to get anything for it.

Thanks Capcom, you've saved me a lot of money when it comes to future purchasing decisions.

Edit: Allow me to clarify, this is a Nintendo 3DS title, and it's cart based, which is why they can do this, i'm not sure if it's possible on the PS3 or Xbox 360.

Last edited:
watch hackers find a way through this in the first month of release... lol

It's on the Nintendo 3DS, pretty sure no hackers there unless they also have flash cart hacks a la AceKart or the TT DS

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...-new-game-by-making-saved-games-permanent.ars

If you buy the new Capcom release "Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D, once you create a save file, that is YOUR save file, permanently.

If you beat the game and want to reset the game to a fresh save file, you cannot do that. If you want to loan the game out to a friend, you cannot do that, it won't let your friend create his own save game file.

So lame. Needless.

This simply crushes the secondary market, and you cannot resell your game and expect to get anything for it.

And that's the point to all of this I'm sure.

Thanks Capcom, you've saved me a lot of money when it comes to future purchasing decisions.

WTF is going on with this company? Man, I used to be a huge Capcom fanboy back in the day. This stuff makes me sick to my stomach.

Screw them, besides most of their games suck anyhow....

I used to think Capcom would do nothing wrong... boy was I naive. Of course now that I'm an adult, I make sure I'm informed before I make any purchase.

I want to see the industry try to eliminate used game sales. Gamers like me only buy games when I can resell them. Eliminating used sales is not going to increase new sales. It's the same concept that more DRM = better protection and more sales for PC games. It just doesn't work that way.

I'm a little confused. Are you saying that if you finished the game, want to play it over again on say, a harder difficulty level, you can't because its already beaten? Forget used game sales, that would outrage just about anyone - a game that can only be played once?

I want to see the industry try to eliminate used game sales. Gamers like me only buy games when I can resell them. Eliminating used sales is not going to increase new sales. It's the same concept that more DRM = better protection and more sales for PC games. It just doesn't work that way.

They will just lose your business and that of other people who agree with your way of thinking, and thus it will show up on the sales charts.

I think it'd be a little naive to think that it won't get them some sales from uninformed consumers (aka the majority).

Sometimes it helps to keep one thing in perspective, we are a minority here, with our opinions, we are not a solid majority of the gaming population (unless we agree with the majority of course, which sometimes we do not).

Boycotting their games only will work if enough people do it, but it appears that the backlash to these games hasn't been severe enough to affect their sales, that's a problem, simply because there are more uninformed consumers than informed ones (i.e too many Little Johnnies asking their parents to buy Game X as opposed to Informed Gamer John Doe voting with his wallet and not buying a title in protest).

I'm a little confused. Are you saying that if you finished the game, want to play it over again on say, a harder difficulty level, you can't because its already beaten? Forget used game sales, that would outrage just about anyone - a game that can only be played once?

That's not entirely correct, your basic premise is correct however, once you discover and unlock things in the game, they remain unlocked forever, I do believe you can play the game over again, but everything will remain unlocked, I am not sure of the exact specifics, but that's my understanding at the moment.

Oh well, RE 5 was bad enough, I can't imagine how bad this is. I'd imagine this won't last, especially considering the amount of backlash they're about to receive.

i used to be a huge capcom fan, evenn during the recent rash of horrible games. Not this, even if its just side content.

Well I don't own a 3DS and don't plan on getting one anyways so doesn't effect me. Still this is very bad move on Capcom's end.

Oh well, RE 5 was bad enough, I can't imagine how bad this is. I'd imagine this won't last, especially considering the amount of backlash they're about to receive.

Ain't that the truth. Whoever was in charge of movement and control should be kicked in the nuts. I can't manage to get more than 10 minutes into it without getting pissed off and leaving the game and it taming 2-3 weeks before I'll try again.

People said this when companies started using $10 "online passes" to force used game buyers to pay online. Used game prices remained about the same.

Also for people unfamiliar with RE: Mercenaries 3D, its basically a score attack game, there really isn't a plot, and the levels are just a few minutes long and designed to be replayed numerous times as you unlock new skills and level them up. Its not really a game you would start over so you can get shitty scores in 200 second time attack stages...

People said this when companies started using $10 "online passes" to force used game buyers to pay online. Used game prices remained about the same.

Also for people unfamiliar with RE: Mercenaries 3D, its basically a score attack game, there really isn't a plot, and the levels are just a few minutes long and designed to be replayed numerous times as you unlock new skills and level them up. Its not really a game you would start over so you can get shitty scores in 200 second time attack stages...

Aka, it sounds no better than a flash based game.

Nonsense. There are plenty of unlockables. (you said it yourself) Where is the sense of progression (the only point of playing the game), if its all "done"? I cant reset my scores, I cant start over. That is the point. This is a dick move by Capcom for, as they claim, no apparent reason.

even though i guess everyone is getting up in arms about this game.. its a mini game based on something that was created as a bonus in resident evil 4 and then has been continuing since. Making this game a full fledged game is kind of money grab. Its ok to be an iphone game or flash, but seriously whose gonna buy this anyway. If this is the direction capcom is going with their games, thats a bad sign to come. First off they are now money hungry with their dlc characters in MvC3 and SF IV series, and now this? I seriously hated how they tied the save to the console originally.

You can extract and delete the save file for 3DS game now...

What?
No you can't. You cant save to SD, and from what I understand there hasn't been any black market 3DS cart extracting device created. The save is permanent on the cart and cant be deleted.

Please enlighten us, since you didn't explain how you seem to think this is possible.

Nonsense. There are plenty of unlockables. (you said it yourself) Where is the sense of progression (the only point of playing the game), if its all "done"? I cant reset my scores, I cant start over. That is the point. This is a dick move by Capcom for, as they claim, no apparent reason.

Yeah you unlock shit so you can use to it to try to get higher scores... The game is never really "done" because unlocking everything looks like it would take an obscene amount of time. If someone really wants to play fresh, they don't have to use the unlockables. Trying to turn this shit into "Capcom declares global war on gamers" its just being a drama queen about a plotless score attack game.

Seems more likely that Capcom just did something stupid, its not like they were sitting around a board room like, "Ok lets shit all over the face of the secondary market by restricting this game that might barely sell 100K copies, this will show everyone!".

Boohoo, people won't be able to resell games after they play them. I personally don't mind this change.

Yeah you unlock shit so you can use to it to try to get higher scores... The game is never really "done" because unlocking everything looks like it would take an obscene amount of time. If someone really wants to play fresh, they don't have to use the unlockables. Trying to turn this shit into "Capcom declares global war on gamers" its just being a drama queen about a plotless score attack game.

Seems more likely that Capcom just did something stupid, its not like they were sitting around a board room like, "Ok lets shit all over the face of the secondary market by restricting this game that might barely sell 100K copies, this will show everyone!".

Not sure how you got that from my post, but I'll agree that Capcom just did something stupid.
Hell, they lost a sale right here.

Boohoo, people won't be able to resell games after they play them. I personally don't mind this change.

I do. Sometimes I like to buy used games or systems after all the hype has calmed down on them a few years after release. Sometimes I just seemed to miss the bandwagon on something that I thought was crappy but end up liking. This could crush that hope if it's a trend that catches.

Sir, you should read the whole article, you cannot SHARE it with your friends or family when you are done with it, as there will be only one permanent save file that cannot be altered.

Once everything is unlocked, it stays unlocked.

Wow, I can see the point of the online play pass because it only affects secondary owners.

This one makes the experience worse for primary owners, too.

Bad idea.

The business side of Capcom has been particularly deplorable for a while now, despite releasing good games.

Buy when it goes to the bargain bin and show the suits this crap isn't cool.

It must write some kind of write protected firmware to it. I'm sure eventually it will be cracked and hopefully this will be a thing of the past.What happens when a game is discontinued and someone wants to resell them in the future after they have no use for it? This follows my same logic of me wanting to buy a system or game a little after it's life cycle fades. When you can't buy them anymore and you don't want it do you just throw the game away?

Seems obvious that Capcom or Nintendo don't care how it ends as long as they make the first sale.

Laugh...

Good luck with that Capcom. The biggest problem with publishers combating the used game market is that it involves hurting gamers in the process. We are the "friendly fire" in there "war".

Imagine if something like this happened on a console! I think since it's on a handheld a lot of people aren't going to care as much.

Such a sensationalist title.....
Yes this sucks, but this is for the Nintendo 3DS. How is it global war on gamers ?

Some people in these forums are such drama queens...

Such a sensationalist title.....
Yes this sucks, but this is for the Nintendo 3DS. How is it global war on gamers ?

Some people in these forums are such drama queens...

It's cool to hate game devs now regardless of track record.

Back