Can't view my website internally?

vapb400

Gawd
Hey guys real quick question, I have my computer and server behind a router, and have the server set up as a web host. As of now I can view the site by typing in the internal IP, but I can not view it by typing the domain I have set up for it while I'm behind my router. If I am at work or school I can see the site fine by typing in the domain. Anybody have any ideas on this? It's probably just some simple thing I dont have turned on inside the router, but I dunno?

Thanks

Do an nslookup of your domain behind your router and see what it says. It has to be a DNS issue behind the router.

Your router probably isn't letting your connection (through NAT presumably) take a round trip to get outside and back in.

If your internal IP for the server is different that your external (assuming again) then I'd say the best options for a simple configuration is to use a hosts file on your client to resolve the DNS name of your server to the internal IP address. If your environment is more complex than a single client and single server, then other possibilities also present themselves.

Some routers allow you to set up manual DNS records - I know my old crappy Conexant did. That's how I got round it, anyway.

It's most likely routing related. Just setup your host file on your PC to resolve that domain name to the internal IP of the server and that should fix it.

Back