can't utilize full capacity of MicroSD card

xXaNaXx

Gawd
i have a 2GB MicroSD (not MicroSDHC) card from Sandisk that i bought for my cell phone, and for some reason, i can only get it to use 1GB of it. i put it in the phone and use the phone's built-in format option, and although it shows a total capacity of 1985024 KB, it shows that 995244 KB is used, leaving 989780 KB free.

when i put the card in my 51-in-1 flash card reader, then go into "diskmgmt.msc", it shows 989MB available and 989MB unallocated. however, it does not give me the option to delete the partitions and allocate the entire space into a single partition.

the phone formats it in the FAT file system (a.k.a., FAT16), which has a maximum capacity of 2GB, so it should be able to utilize the entire capacity of the drive.

anyone know any way i can utilize the entire capacity of this card, even if my phone won't be able to use it all?

your phone probly doesnt use more than 1gb therefore doesnt format the other half.

i got that much.....

as i stated in my first post, i can hook it up to my computer through my 51-in-1 flash card reader, and the WinXP disk management tool can see that there are two partitions of 989MB each, one that is available for use and one that is unallocated, but i cannot delete the two partitions and combine them into a single partition.....under WinXP......

anyone have any ideas?

not to seem a smartass, but did you try reformatting the entire volume on XP? if it acts like a flash drive sometimes that will clear the partition table. (Just using rightclick->format)

not to seem a smartass, but did you try reformatting the entire volume on XP? if it acts like a flash drive sometimes that will clear the partition table. (Just using rightclick->format)

yep....still only formats 1/2 of the drive. for some reason, it's split into two separate partitions, and doesn't give me the option to delete the two and combine them into one.

Back