Can't Unlock PC After Timed Lock Win7

gimp

[H]F Junkie
So, issue that has just recently cropped up, and we have made no changes that would cause this.

We now have several users who, although able to initially log in off the WAN, cannot unlock the screen off the WAN. They receive a "No logon servers available" error.

This has never been an issue with XP. One user reports the issue didn't start until some time towards the end of last week. One of desktop support folks just received a report from a user today.

Now, I've tried duplicating the issue with my machines but simply cannot.

We have 2 other users with desktops who can duplicate the issue, though.

What would cause this?
The issue is not that they cannot log on; they can log on fine, initially. It's only the screen lock that appears borked. Therefore I wouldn't think the "Always wait for network at logon" GPO would be relevant, since the issue isn't at initial logon.

Ideas? I've tried searching the Goog, but haven't had much success in finding info on this particular issue.

Edit: This is in a domain environment. No GPO modifications have been made since June, and this issue just recently started cropping up.

Last edited:
Ive had one similar case of this...
User (off network @ home) logs onto his laptop..logs on AOK
uses the laptop for a while, then it locks (either by sleep mode or Win+L)
User cannot unlock it, says password invalid, but he can reboot and log in with the same password.

Ive had one similar case of this...
User (off network @ home) logs onto his laptop..logs on AOK
uses the laptop for a while, then it locks (either by sleep mode or Win+L)
User cannot unlock it, says password invalid, but he can reboot and log in with the same password.

They're not geting invalid password, but yeah similar'ish issue.
I take it you never found a resolution?

I have a couple Windows 7 domain users who say that they cannot log in after their PC locks. What works is pressing Switch User, then doing both username and password again. No work is lost, but it's still a mystery.

It's not everyone, though. I have other uses who use the lock screen quiet frequently and do not have issues.

The issue started happening last week as well.

I have a couple Windows 7 domain users who say that they cannot log in after their PC locks. What works is pressing Switch User, then doing both username and password again. No work is lost, but it's still a mystery.

It's not everyone, though. I have other uses who use the lock screen quiet frequently and do not have issues.

The issue started happening last week as well.

Unfortunately we don't have "Switch User" as we disabled fast user switching (or was it we just didn't Enable it?)

Out of our >3,000 employees, we do have a lot of strictly mobile laptop users. While I've only heard of one, our helpdesk hadn't been receiving any calls of this issue; except for 1 tech with 1 ticket. So it's definitely not a wide-spread issue.

Strangely, a couple folks upstairs are able to duplicate the issue on their desktops.

I still have yet to find a machine I can replicate the issue on.

The two users whom reported the issue let the screensaver lock take over from long AFK's. If you Win+L there are no issues.

Not sure if that helps.

Interesting. I'll try that.

So, I just cannot duplicate the issue on any machine I've tried so far.

I'll have to start digging through the event logs some more, even though the first one I didn't find anything.
I can't remember if I saw any errors with a source of schannel, but I don't even see how that would be relevant off the network.

Still not having any luck finding relevant info in the Goog.

Back