Can't understand why my 9 year old Sharp HD TV is still so much better in picture quality than my new Viewsonic 43" UHD monitor?

be that as it may, it really looks much better. It's like saying someone cooks you a lobster, and he makes it tastes better by adding butter. Another lobster from another person does not have butter, and it doesn't taste as good. But who cares how he manipulates it? the end results is, the lobster w/ butter tastes better

what's "og" again?

be that as it may, it really looks much better. It's like saying someone cooks you a lobster, and he makes it tastes better by adding butter. Another lobster from another person does not have butter, and it doesn't taste as good. But who cares how he manipulates it? the end results is, the lobster w/ butter tastes better

what's "og" again?
ok but its not the true image. you can always try and play with the monitors settings to match. change the color temp, up saturation and contrast etc etc.
original.

I do have a somewhat old DVD for calibration. I can try it. But that DVD doesn't allow the setting of change color temp. The VX4380 does have 3 or 4 profile on temperature, I don't know what is a good one to use that can match my Sharp TV

I do have a somewhat old DVD for calibration. I can try it. But that DVD doesn't allow the setting of change color temp. The VX4380 does have 3 or 4 profile on temperature, I don't know what is a good one to use that can match my Sharp TV
what does the tv call them low, warm, med etc? my tv calls 6500k-ish low and thats seems the most accurate, iirc.

not the TV. My VX4380 monitor. what temperature should I choose to get the same kind of skin tone like the one on my TV?

not the TV. My VX4380 monitor. what temperature should I choose to get the same kind of skin tone like the one on my TV?
turn it up, or warmer whatever it calls it. if you can take a pic of the pic, you could also take a pic of the settings...

1) how long have you been using OLED TV? what's the latest on your TV in regards to "burn in"

2) when you compare the above, are you using the reference photo I post on Post # 28?
1. Nearly two years, ~8h work + personal use on weekdays. No burn in.
2. Yes I'm using the reference photo.

are you the only one? what happens to all the burn in story I read at youtube and everywhere else

are you the only one? what happens to all the burn in story I read at youtube and everywhere else
I definitely am not. Most burn in complaints have been on older OLED models. I also own a LG C9 that is even older and used as my living room TV and no problems on that either. I think the modern LG OLEDs are pretty good at managing this but it still helps to do some mitigation. These are the things I've set up:
  • Taskbar (Win10), dock and topbar (MacOS) are automatically hidden. These are usually the biggest source of burn-in.
  • Black desktop background. Looks like windows are floating in a void.
  • Use dark modes/themes where possible.
  • Screensaver turns on in something like 5 minutes if left idle.
  • Screen turns off in 15 minutes.
  • Display is calibrated to 120 nits brightness.
  • Automatic static brightness limiter is disabled from the service menu (otherwise it dims on desktop use so I remove a built in mitigation here)
  • If I take a longer break I turn off the TV.
  • TV is always kept connected to power so it can run its compensation cycles when the screen is off if needed.
This may sound like a lot but it's really a one time setup and I don't really even think about it anymore. I use virtual desktops quite a bit so my screen is not necessarily all that static even in desktop use.

Looking at Linus Tech Tips' video about burn in on his screen, I am guessing he did not do this kind of mitigation and used higher brightness which will cause the display to wear faster. While I don't expect this display to last say 5+ years, I am ok with that. I am more likely to upgrade to something else in that period, in fact as I am moving and have decided to sell the CX 48" as it even has 1 year of warranty left.

What Viewsonic model? It could be as simple as comparing a 1000:1 contrast IPS monitor to a 3000:1+ VA TV (probably also better dialed in color-wise out of the box) and finding the VA panel to have a punchier and possibly even more accurate picture.

What Viewsonic model? It could be as simple as comparing a 1000:1 contrast IPS monitor to a 3000:1+ VA TV (probably also better dialed in color-wise out of the box) and finding the VA panel to have a punchier and possibly even more accurate picture.
as stated earlier, VX4380

I definitely am not. Most burn in complaints have been on older OLED models. I also own a LG C9 that is even older and used as my living room TV and no problems on that either. I think the modern LG OLEDs are pretty good at managing this but it still helps to do some mitigation. These are the things I've set up:
  • Taskbar (Win10), dock and topbar (MacOS) are automatically hidden. These are usually the biggest source of burn-in.
  • Black desktop background. Looks like windows are floating in a void.
  • Use dark modes/themes where possible.
  • Screensaver turns on in something like 5 minutes if left idle.
  • Screen turns off in 15 minutes.
  • Display is calibrated to 120 nits brightness.
  • Automatic static brightness limiter is disabled from the service menu (otherwise it dims on desktop use so I remove a built in mitigation here)
  • If I take a longer break I turn off the TV.
  • TV is always kept connected to power so it can run its compensation cycles when the screen is off if needed.
This may sound like a lot but it's really a one time setup and I don't really even think about it anymore. I use virtual desktops quite a bit so my screen is not necessarily all that static even in desktop use.

Looking at Linus Tech Tips' video about burn in on his screen, I am guessing he did not do this kind of mitigation and used higher brightness which will cause the display to wear faster. While I don't expect this display to last say 5+ years, I am ok with that. I am more likely to upgrade to something else in that period, in fact as I am moving and have decided to sell the CX 48" as it even has 1 year of warranty left.
hiding the task bar is the deal breaker for me. Where will we be in 5 year? would this problem be fixed? Or do we have to move to something else other than OLED to avoid burn in.

hiding the task bar is the deal breaker for me. Where will we be in 5 year? would this problem be fixed? Or do we have to move to something else other than OLED to avoid burn in.
Honestly you don't need the taskbar/dock/topbar for anything 99% of the time. A lot of people are just used to having it there, including me. So it took me a while to get used to not having it but now I think I would keep the auto hide on even if I went back to a LCD or some other tech with no burn in issues.

OLED will always be more prone to burn-in. It's more likely that Micro-LED replaces the tech but that will most likely take more than 5 years.

Say I go w/ you on the task bar, but "Black desktop background." is also a deal breaker, I have lots of nice wallpaper, I have a new one every 30 min., is that doable w/ OLED?

What's the damage w/ burn in anyway? Are we talking about a few mth. will do the damage, or a few yr.?

fwiw I have one of the old Sharp Quattron's. LC43 I think. Posted about it here somewhere. Never had an issue with picture quality. Looked really good (for the time). It was probably more due to the glass screen on mine which turned out to be my main issue with it. It looked great at night but if there were any lights on in front.. the glare was annoying. I was also able to put it into 1080p and get something around 145hz out of it before getting wonky.

Yup that’s an IPS and side be side with a VA you would probably notice the contrast difference.
Now if you put the VA next to an OLED it may look a little washed out 😁

I want to clarify: are you using an OLED TV as a PC monitor?

if so, we have another thread in the display forum that it cannot be done due to the 4:4:4 ratio on text. so how did you overcome it

I want to clarify: are you using an OLED TV as a PC monitor?

if so, we have another thread in the display forum that it cannot be done due to the 4:4:4 ratio on text. so how did you overcome it
Yes I am and there is no issue running on current LGs either through HDMI 2.0 at 4:4:4 8-bit color 60 Hz / SDR or DP -> HDMI 2.1 adapters at 4:4:4 10-bit 120 Hz / HDR / SDR or native HDMI 2.1.

Back