Can't share printer to NT computers

sm8000

Gawd
I am having trouble getting four Windows NT 4.0 (SP6a) computers to connect to an HP LaserJet 1022 shared from a Windows 2000 computer.

I have made sure all five computers are in the same workgroup name. I have added the user of one of the NT computers (s1) to the Power Users group on the 2000 computer, and on the printer have also allowed s1 to the printer (Security tab).

On the NT computer I have tried adding a network printer, with the path being:

\\computername\printername

No luck, I get "Cannot connect to the printer" followed by either "Access is denied" or "The printer name is invalid". I have also tried the following command prompt:

C:\>net use \\computername\printername /user:username password

But here I get Error 67: The network name cannot be found.

The printer itself is USB only and as such we can't plug it into the NT computers.

Any other ideas?

My guess is a WINS problem... just shot the NT4 machines and buy new XP/Vista machines.

If you must keep the OS which has no patches being release... then try connecting by IP vs servername.

Or add the printer as local and point it to the IP address

BTW, i see you are trying net use, but where is it mapping to?

I'll try the IP trick tomorrow, thanks.

As for your net use question, do you mean which port? I think I forgot that part...:p

Thanks for the reminder. We usually include the port but we usually use pre-written stuff. I'll try it at work tomorrow.

Back