Can't set 1080p on Samsung HDTV!

Trackr

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm connecting my Samsung 37" 1080p HDTV to my GTX 480 rig.

I have two cables - a VGA-DVI adapter cable and an HDMI to DVI adapter cable.

With the VGA-DVI, it detects the native resolution as 1024x768 (it's not!), but I can easily customize a resolution of 1920x1080/60 and it works perfectly.

The problem is, no game will see the customized resolution and if I edit the .ini file, it simply won't work - this is true for 3DMark, Crysis, Heaven 2.5, etc.

With the HDMI-DVI, it detects 1920x1080 as the native resolution, but when it is applied, it's all screwed up. First of all, the colors are completely out of wack, way too vibrant, probably because of the RGB (can't set otherwise!). Secondly, it's not centered properly. 5% of the resolution is off screen (like it's too big). I can fix this in NCP though.

So, really, I am stuck here. Every other card can output 1080p with the VGA-DVI cable, but apparently not the GTX 480s..

:confused:

EDIT: I managed to find an HDMI - Mini HDMI cable. It's better than the HDMI-DVI, but there is one big problem - the screen has a ghostly blue-ish hue to it. Definitely not right. Can't change it.

So now what? No VGA, no DVI, no HDMI.. the only thing left is DVI to DVI, but the TV does not have DVI!

ARGH!

Last edited:
Damn it guys! This really bites.

Now I can't bench without having to rub my eyes every 5 minutes..

not all tv's accept 1920x1080 over VGA. when you connect it via HDMI is the tv defaulting to 'game mode'? that would explain the overly vibrant colors. also it sounds like the signal is being overscanned. try forcing the tv aspect ratio to 16:9 or a 'fit to screen' option if you have one. edit: do these adjustments within the tv menu before you go monkeying around with control panel settings.

Last edited:
yeah, try adjusting the overscan option in the nvidia control panel.

I know that my Samsung gave me a bit of overscan when I hooked it up to my PC over HDMI. I went into the TV menu and picked something called "auto detect display" or something similar. The screen flickered a few times and everything was scaled properly. So it scaled on the TV, not on the GPU.

What is the model number of the TV?

Use HDMI. One thing you should do with Samsung TV is search in your TVs settings a part where you can label the inputs. Set the one you use as PC and your TV starts to behave like a monitor. No more overscan which you are clearly experiencing, and enables a full 4:4:4 chroma support (no blurred text in some colored backgrounds).

Which TV? Hunt the avsforum for their thread on that make/model.

I know that for my ln52b750 to prevent overscan when using my computer as the source I needed to plug it into a specific HDMI input and then rename that input to "PC". Then blam, overscan gone and yay!

No guys, I told you - it's not the TV.

It worked flawlessly with my HD 6950 and every other card I own, just not the GTX 480s..

What overscan issue?

There is nothing regarding overscan in the nVidia control panel nor my TV's menu.

it won't be called 'overscan' in the tv menu. on my Samsung there's a menu option called Screen Adjustment, but it could be labeled a number of things. find a setting that allows you to adjust the aspect ratio, fit the screen, etc.

also have you tried renaming the input to PC like suggested above?

"Secondly, it's not centered properly. 5% of the resolution is off screen (like it's too big)"

5% all around the edges? That's the TV treating the signal as though it has overscan

it won't be called 'overscan' in the tv menu. on my Samsung there's a menu option called Screen Adjustment, but it could be labeled a number of things. find a setting that allows you to adjust the aspect ratio, fit the screen, etc.

also have you tried renaming the input to PC like suggested above?

Yes, I have.

Look, the overscan problem isn't a big deal for me.

The problem is the fucked up colors.

I've had a crapload of trouble from my Sammy, though mine are strictly TV based issues, so I'm not sure I'll be of any help. My TV would switch to 24hz, get strange color shifts and all manner or problems when trying to game @1080p.

Are you setting up a custom resolution in the Nvidia Control Panel? (I forget what it's called..) This solved most of my issues for most games, and it should still be detected in-game. Crysis still gave me fits though.

The easiest thing I've found is to just drop the resolution to the next thing under 1080p in the game menu. (Or, if for some reason you've believe that the minute difference in resolution would be noticeable enough that you refuse to run anything lower than 1080p, running the game at 50hz also seems to solve the problem too) Again, these have worked for me.

1920x1080 @ 50hz is the same.

I can run 1680x1050, but only through HDMI-DVI. Through HDMI-Mini HDMI it's even worse.

Does your TV have any option that reads "1:1" or "Pixel aspect" or something similar?

Check the aspect ratio options and see if there's other settings that aren't 16:9, 4:3 or Zoom. Try them.

Does your TV have any option that reads "1:1" or "Pixel aspect" or something similar?

Check the aspect ratio options and see if there's other settings that aren't 16:9, 4:3 or Zoom. Try them.

Like I said, that's not a problem.

The trippy colors are the problem.

can you take a picture of what it's doing? That would probably help narrow it down for you.

Are you just seeing a color tint across the whole screen or is every color differen than it should be?

Back