Cant seem to get past 3.2ghz on my Q6600

Yep, I got that covered, as I'm planning on watercooling the CPU, the chipsets and the GPU.

Hopefully my mobo lasts more than 3 months, hehe. EVGA has great support though, and I do have their advanced rma program, so if something goes wrong, 3 days at most downtime would be what I'd be looking at.

Hopefully you have your original receipt. If you don't you'll run into problems. At least I did when my 680i SLI died and I tried to RMA it.

I got an G0 L8 at the beginning of summer. I was able to get it to 3.6 GHz on an abit IX38, but it took about 1.69 v to get there. I decided that the power and heat wasn't really worth it, so right now I have it at a rock solid 3.5 GHz with 1.61 v. Water cooling definitely required.

I got an G0 L8 at the beginning of summer. I was able to get it to 3.6 GHz on an abit IX38, but it took about 1.69 v to get there. I decided that the power and heat wasn't really worth it, so right now I have it at a rock solid 3.5 GHz with 1.61 v. Water cooling definitely required.

You arent the least bit worried about 1.61v is going to kill it soon?

Not really. Temperatures are at 40 C idle, and about mid 50s under load. I have yet to really kill a processor by over volting it too much while it's under water. If it does eventually die in the future, i'm sure I can pick up a cheap replacement for it anyways.

my temps were about that when I was on 1.61. Do you think it would be a bad idea to put mine on 1.61 agian? I'm under water also mind you. Thermochill PA 120.3 x6 yate loons ftw and a swifty storm.

I guess I should really revise my statement, since I normally run my fans at only half speed. At full speed I'm in the low to mid 30s at idle, and low 50s at full load. I also went back and looked at all my OC settings, and I'm actually running 1.63 V on the CPU. With all the newer Q6600 chips, it seems that you need to have the voltage pretty high if you plan on getting it stable at 3.4 or above.

Personally, I don't think it's a bad idea (since I'm running mine at 1.63V), but it's really up to you. Just make sure to keep an eye on your temps, and really test it out to make sure it's stable.

I don't think my temps will get any higher than 60c on load. I just hear that high voltages can destroy a processor, can you fill me in on the possibilities of this happening? Would it put my northbridge or southbridge in danger either?

Sorry, don't really know much about long term over voltage problems (then again I really haven't looked into it either). Personally, I've never experienced any with a processor I've owned (knock on wood).

In a generally sense, yes overclocking and volting your CPU will eventually cause for premature failure. In most cases, people that overclock never really see this problem since they replace the CPUs long before they begin showing signs of problems. The only personal experience I've had with a CPU "dying" from overclocking/volting has to do with my friend's Intel P3. Initally, he had the thing running stably at 1 GHz from 700 MHz. About 2-3 years later it would only do an OC of 933 MHz, and just recently he had to drop it again back down to stock speeds. Then again, he also doesn't care for his computer and I can only image the amount of dust that has built up within it.

The voltage you set on your CPU does not affect anything past your CPU. With that said, the bus frequency you set the CPU at will affect that two chips as it speeds up everything within the motherboard. Typically there are separate voltage controls for the north and south bridge (you will probably have to bump those up to get a good OC too).

As with everything concerning overclocking, there's no absolute guarantee about anything except the stock speed.

Well, just like clock work, as soon as i start talking about my OC, it now no longer likes 3.5 GHz. Don't really have time to do any more testing, but I thought I would just let you know.

Back