Can't seem to get a consistent post when I mount my AIO block.

Dajinn

Weaksauce
I've got an ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 motherboard, 5820k, and an NZXT X72 AIO.

X99 has always been quirky for me since I moved to this board. I also have a random X99 Designare mobo that I was testing and using for a while just because I found it at microcenter for super cheap, and it basically was exhibiting the same behavior of deciding to not post on cold boots or hot restarts.

Basically I've had random instances where my computer, after running normally, will not post again after I shutdown. It just hangs at b6 post code which indicates a RAM issue.

I thought oh, dead CPU, my RAM is fine. Got a replacement chip to try that I think was already dead (amazon warehouse deals).

But after much fiddling, I found that my rig will post if I leave the AIO off of the CPU. Obviously I only give it 5 seconds to see if it makes it past b6 post code, which it does. However, when I go to mount the block and I tighten the top left hand screw down the mobo will not post anymore and it gets stuck on b6 like there is some kind of weird short or issue with CPU contact in the socket. Luckily I was somehow able to get into Windows to post this and game for a bit, but wow. It doesn't look like anything is making contact. And the block itself doesn't look warped or un-even. The pins in the socket are all fine.

I've read that you shouldn't tighten down the screws on X99 too much. Well, even after backing off all of the screws, it doesn't seem to help until I can get the block to lift off from the left/top-left hand area of the CPU socket area. Even if I just barely tighten it, it stops posting again. The trick I did to get into Windows this time was I let the left side of the block hang up in the air a bit and once it posted I tightened it back down. Like, it doesn't really seem like there's any intermediate tightness where the block is secure and I'm able to get it to post. That side/top corner needs to be lifted off slightly for a successful post most of the time.

Any thoughts?

That's pretty bad. Sounds like there is a lot of flex on that board. Maybe pins are slightly bent or something?

are you testing this outside of the case? does this aio use the intel screw posts or does it have its own mounting bracket? if so check the mobo backside for shorting.

That's pretty bad. Sounds like there is a lot of flex on that board. Maybe pins are slightly bent or something?

The pins are perfect but any idea if it would matter if the mobo isn't screwed down at every post? I've swapped boards in/out and haven't screwed down every post to reduce work if I need to swap. HOWEVER, I am screwing at least 3 points down, 1 at the top, mid, and bottom.

are you testing this outside of the case? does this aio use the intel screw posts or does it have its own mounting bracket? if so check the mobo backside for shorting.

Inside the case. It's X99 so it has it's own posts that the instructions state to use.

This is the board:
https://rog.asus.com/media/1464807564191.jpg
I'm not sure removing the backplate and re-seating it will do anything but I'm going to take a look anyway per the suggestions here.

The pins are perfect but any idea if it would matter if the mobo isn't screwed down at every post? I've swapped boards in/out and haven't screwed down every post to reduce work if I need to swap. HOWEVER, I am screwing at least 3 points down, 1 at the top, mid, and bottom.

Inside the case. It's X99 so it has it's own posts that the instructions state to use.

This is the board:
https://rog.asus.com/media/1464807564191.jpg
I'm not sure removing the backplate and re-seating it will do anything but I'm going to take a look anyway per the suggestions here.
Ok I've never built x99 wasn't sure. I know it's a pita but I'd rip it outta the case for further testing and to double check the back plate.

Sounds like a classic too tight or uneven mount, you can over pressure somewhere on the board and its enough to mess with the signal somewhere. Ram boot code problems is literally the classic symptom (around half your 2011's pins are for ram) from either this or an off-kilter cpu mating to the socket. (which can also be from a too-tight/crooked mount, or more worryingly from bent pins or bad socket etc)

AIOs tend to use lazy "universal" mounts, I bet its an asetek (OEM of all the big brands pretty much) and I've been extremely unimpressed with their shit myself. Try turning it and mounting from another angle if you can.

Also you can caaaaaaaaarefully reseat the cpu, sometimes it just needs to find its sweet spot inside the socket. Check the socket while you do this, if its bent anywhere its sometimes fixable but welcome to hell.

Reseating the ram can sometimes solve this but everything you've said so far points in one direction.

You need to use all the mobo mounts to help keep it straight and rigid, esp the bigger boards with tons of components like most X99 are, and even more so on horizontal cases. Pretty much every board will curl a bit naked.

Don't overtighten those board mounts either, nothing in a computer needs to be beyond finger tight, unless a heatsink or block has some kind of dedicated stop screw spring (e.g. noctua) or torque setting like Threadripper.

Back