Can't see other computers on VPN?

The Chosen One

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi guys, ive just setup a PPTP VPN using a SG560 router, and ive got it all connected but i cant see any of the other computers on the Host-end of the VPN, and they cant see the client computer.

I can browse the net via the VPN fine, because whenever i goto WhatismyIP.com it reports my IP as being one of the two IPs at the Host-end.

Pinging the IP addresses also doesnt work.

Has anyone got any ideas?
What am i doing wrong?

Thanks

You will not be able to browse the remote subnet. Remote hosts will only be accessible by IP address, not by name. Also, make sure the two subnets are not the same or you will have trouble. If your local subnet is 192.168.0.x, the remote subnet must be different (like 192.168.1.x).

Use the IP address of the server (or remote PC you are connecting to) instead of it's name.

If the IP of the remote server is 192.168.1.250 and the share name is "files", then after you connect the VPN, try to make a shortcut to:

\\192.168.1.250\files

Ok, so how would you do that?

Broadcast packets are not sent over the VPN tunnel.

How do you setup DNS to service a remote (unknown) subnet?

Ive never had any problems with my DNS and PPTP VPN. Ive heard that there are a few issues with split-tunneling because of the obvious "which DNS to query".

I also have no special options ticked in my DNS server as well, standard MS build with an my cnames and a records and std zone files:confused:

I use the standard MS PPTP client, and manually put in my DNS server.. though I could have my PIX do this as well as thats the endpoint and DHCP server for all VPN connections. But overall no one has any name resolution issues when they are VPN'd.

Ok, so how would you do that?

Broadcast packets are not sent over the VPN tunnel.

How do you setup DNS to service a remote (unknown) subnet?

If you have a DNS server, and optionally..a WINS server too, at the central office. Those IPs are handed to the VPN client through either DHCP (server or router), or set manually in the VPN adapter properties on the client side. For joining the domain remotely the DNS suffix is required also.

An old "poor mans WINS" method also commonly used is entries in the hosts file.

The OP didn't state wether there were servers available..so this may or many not be of help to him. Regardless...name resolution can happen through a tunnel. Although I do agree...setting up via IP is easier and less time consuming.

Browsing Network Neighborhood works by obtaining the browse list from either a master or backup browser. This list is obtained locally on your LAN by using NetBIOS Broadcasts to find and locate domain browsers. Broadcast packets do not traverse the VPN tunnel.

Having DNS doesn't get you browsing.

EDIT: My question above, "How do you setup DNS to service a remote (unknown) subnet?" should have been, "How do you setup DNS to support browsing?".

Browsing Network Neighborhood works by obtaining the browse list from either a master or backup browser. This list is obtained locally on your LAN by using NetBIOS Broadcasts to find and locate domain browsers. Broadcast packets do not traverse the VPN tunnel.

Having DNS doesn't get you browsing.

EDIT: My question above, "How do you setup DNS to service a remote (unknown) subnet?" should have been, "How do you setup DNS to support browsing?".

well your statement is a direct quote from the Cisco bulliten that you copied it from:p I knew it sounded familiar
so you pretty much have your answer there.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/471/vpn-net-hood.html

just incase you forgot;)

well your statement is a direct quote from the Cisco bulliten that you copied it from:p I knew it sounded familiar
so you pretty much have your answer there.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/471/vpn-net-hood.html

just incase you forgot;)

Yep, ya got me on the Cisco quote. :)

The original context of all of this was telling the OP how to fix a problem (which is fixed now). My original intent was to tell the OP that browsing will not work over the VPN, and in a stock config that is true. It's much easier to get to shares by IP than by browsing, much faster too.

You guys are correct that you COULD configure browsing over the VPN, but it still isn't DNS that gives you browsing.

Yep, ya got me on the Cisco quote. :)

The original context of all of this was telling the OP how to fix a problem (which is fixed now). My original intent was to tell the OP that browsing will not work over the VPN, and in a stock config that is true. It's much easier to get to shares by IP than by browsing, much faster too.

You guys are correct that you COULD configure browsing over the VPN, but it still isn't DNS that gives you browsing.

true, i just thought i would bust your balls a bit..:p

Hi guys, ive just setup a PPTP VPN using a SG560 router, and ive got it all connected but i cant see any of the other computers on the Host-end of the VPN, and they cant see the client computer.

You need to be using Active Directory or have a WINS server for network browsing to work over a VPN. Doing this requires a box running Windows Server or Samba (Linux) somewhere on your LAN.

Back