Can't run OCZ PC4200EL at SPD.

BobbyD

n00b
I have 2 512MB OCZ PC4200EL modules. I got the dual channel kit, but I don't think that should matter. I can't get them to run at SPD, 2.5-4-4-7 settings with both modules in. I've tried a multiplier of 8, and FSB of 266, which should keep my processor below stock 2200MHz. I tried running SuperPi to 4M places, but I would get rounding errors after the first or second loop. I was using clockgen to adjust the FSB. I set the FSB to 266 in the BIOS and ran memtest86, and got 2 errors after having it running for about 6 hours.

I'm not sure if these modules are bad or what, so I tried using them one at a time. I set it to 8x266, and SuperPi would run through 4M places without getting any errors. It made it through with both modules by themselves, but I haven't extensively tested each individual module.

With both modules in, I can only set the FSB to 260 and make it through SuperPi without errors. I tried changing it to CAS 3 in the BIOS, manually setting the voltage to 2.8, and 2.85, and enabling aggresive timings, but it still wouldn't work at 266FSB. I tried switching the DIMM slots from 1 and 2 to 1 and 3, but it didn't make a difference. Since it would make it through SuperPi at 260FSB, I tried 9x260 and it would make it through SuperPi. I had it running Prime95 for about 3 hours, until it got a BSOD. I'm not sure if this is because of the memory, or the processor overclock. I'm going to set the FSB to 260 in the BIOS and let it run memtest86 overnight.

I tried the newer BIOS 1.2C, and I still have the same problems. I don't know if this problem is because of the memory modules, the motherboard, or if the memory controller just can't handle it.

Anyone else have any luck getting these, or any other modules to run at 266FSB 1:1 using 2 DIMMs? If anyone else had any luck with this I could rule out the mobo and CPU memory controller and RMA this RAM if I need to.

I am leaning towards your motherboard being the culprit (and not because I work for OCZ.)

The K8N Neo Platinum is not a Asus P4C800 in terms of FSB overclockability. When you are encountering errors, it seems to be a chipset issue. Try adding some additional cooling over your memory and northbridge.

Not sure, but I have heard issues regarding voltage on the K8N as well, though I have not had too much time to look into it.

If you would like, I can test some PC-4200 EL on the board and see how high we get on working modules in-house.

Back