can't read ntfs partition in linux

majikman

Weaksauce
i just installed knoppix 3.3. so, i'm running some flavor of debian. i'm trying to access my hda1, hda2, and hda3 which are all ntfs partitions. i was under the impression that linux has native ntfs support. however, when i try to access those drives, it says "Could not enter directory /mnt/hda1" can anyone provide me with some insight as to what exactly is going on? thanks.

as root,
Code:
mount -t ntfs /dev/hd?X /mnt/hd?X
EDIT: it may yell at you that /mnt/hd?X doesn't exist - just mkdir /mnt/hd?X before you do the mount command
where ? is the drive (like hda is primary master and hdc is secondary master and hdd is secondary slave etc)
and where X is the partition number
unless you've upgraded knoppix's kernel to 2.6, you still won't have write support, but you have read support in 2.4

What does your /etc/fstab file say?
You should have a line in there that looks like this.
/dev/hde1 /win_ro ntfs defaults,umask=0,ro 0 0
That ro is important as it prevents any accidental writing. Writing bad.

You may have to recompile the kernel with NTFS support if it wasn't done the first time.

If you want to dig around on your own on how to do that, google has a linux search page. http://www.google.com/linux

I found this after a quick search.

Kernel compiling guide for newbies...

Kernel Compile Guide for 2.6.0

I'm not a linux power user, just a novice, but I'm sure one of our more experienced users could maybe simplify things.

# /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
#
# filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
/dev/hdb1 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hdb5 none swap sw 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdrom1 /cdrom1 iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hdb6 /mnt/hdb6 auto noauto,users,exec 0 0

thats my /etc/fstab file. my question is, why is it that nothing is getting mounted? none of the devices that are listed get mounted except for hdb1, obviously.

I am assuming /dev/hdb1 and /dev/hdb5 are getting mounted. The reason the others aren't is because of the "noauto" parameter. That tell linux not to auto mount at boot. Take that out and it should mount at boot.

ok, so now it does mount all of them. but the permissions are set to drwx------. i thought the users option was supposed to allow all my users have access to it? does it have something to do with the /etc/mtab file? there is no users option in that file.

add umask=0 to the parameters also. That will allow your users to read it. So make it users,umask=0,ro

Back