Can't reach specific site(s) via router

WinterXL

n00b
Hi,

I'm using a DLink DGL4300. My problem is that when running through the router I can't reach www.microsoft.com, and I can't get Games for Windows Live to work. So far I haven't had any other sites be unavailable to me, though it's a big internet out there and I've only tried a tiny portion. I've looked through every part of the configuration and can't find what might be causing this. I upgraded the firmware to the latest release to no avail.

Going from PC straight to the modem lets me reach the site, so that leads me to believe the router is the point of failure. I've tried resetting and rebooting both the router and modem, but no go. Pinging www.microsoft.com from within the router configuration webpage also fails. I'd like to not ditch the router but this is an issue that will probably cause issues down the road.

Has anyone experienced or heard of something like this before?

Cheers,
B

Is your "modem" actually a combo modem/router? If so, you're double NATing..which can cause weird issues.

What if you manually change your PCs DNS servers..try OpenDNS as a test...change TCP settings..DNS...from obtain auto to 208.67.222.222 and see what happens..just as a test.

you cannot ping microsoft.com
they have ICMP disabled, which means you will not get ping replies.

what happens when you try to browse to microsoft.com?
does it sit at "Web page found, waiting for reply...."

or does it go to the Page cannot be Displayed error?

Back