Can't play them :(

Shmuckety

[H]ard|Gawd
Every time I try to play a new game I can't do it. There is something wrong here.

I can play Half life 2, but not NFS most wanted or the new star wars demo. When I start the game it starts up and then minimizes after a second or two. When I try to maximize it it just minimizes again right away. What the hell.

I am using the latest drivers for the 6800GT that I have. Is it possible that it is a video codec problem? Damn it :mad:

Can't help but I hope you figure out NFS MW ...great game. Played and beat it both on the PC and the 360.

Check your background applications, could be something shifting or holding focus.

I fought through the video (in star wars) maximizing it over and over...and over, until it was done and the game played fine. It has to be a codec issue because it only affects the video part of the game.

I agree with Rich it definitely sounds like something is running in the background, probably spyware of some sort. Run your antivirus, as well as stuff like adaware and spybot. Check your running processes and see if there's anything suspicious looking. If all that doesn't help, try downloading and running filemon and see what's going on.

Eyah it sounds like somethings fishy with your system. I had a virus that used to shut down my IE randomly and what not.

I always keep an XP disc close by :(

I will try that. I checked for spyware with Spybot and adaware, found nothing. I am trying NOD32 right now for virus.

I recently installed some things such as benchmarks (windows media encoder for futuremark). I still think it's a codec or video problem, but we will see...if this ever finishes scanning for virii. :p Too much HDD space.

Worst case senario ? Reinstall Windows.. works everytime :p

Since you fold would you be using the graphical client by any chance? That behavior is typical for most people using the FAH graphical client.

I run the folding service, and still kill them when I'm going to FPS.

I still think every little bit helps. ;)

Another vote for the FAH graphical client. Exact same issues with Far Cry till I switched to console version.

Yay, you guys win. It was none other than the [H]ardest graphical client in folding today.

As soon as I turned off folding it went back to normal. Thanks guys.

If you need any help getting the console client setup, hop over to DC and read the FAQs.

If you have any other questions, we'll be happy to help. :)

I know my firewall wont let me do anything with any program until I tell it its okay...its annoying as hell but nice to know that my computer cares about my well being :D

BTW I use zonealarm firewall, for all you users out there that know the pain I am sharing

I had the same thing happening with my sound card (ChainTech AV-710) the icon in the task bar would take focus after I would load a game. I couldn't figure it out at then I finally figured it out because the only thing on my pc with such crap drivers that would do something like this could only be the horrible chaintech card. I solved it by killing the task bar icon.

Back