Can't overclock 4830 with dual monitors, fix/workaround??

Malakai

2[H]4U
Hey. I know this is a general issue and not exclusive to me or the 4830. I run dual monitors (in sig), but if I change the core or memory speed even 1mhz, video gets corrupt, all gray lines and such.

I tried rivatuner with limited success using the low lvl overclocking utility. It still eventually crashed, and it prevented my card from down-clocking when not gaming. The sapphire 4830 clocks down to 160/250 when not gaming, the fan shuts off totally on the heatsink when clocked down, it's a great feature, especially in conjunction with coolnquiet clocking your cpu down to 800mhz.

Is there any way to overclock, and keep being able to have my card underclock itself?
Is there a way at all, even if it does prevent down clocking?

I remember back in the day I use a hex editor to flash new speeds on an old nvidia card. Dont really want to do that on this baby, it still has lots of life left (and maybe a sister in crossfire one day).
Riva gave some error about using it with the driver version (currently catalyst 9.5, brand new), maybe thats why it crashed and not just because theres no way to oc with dual screens.

Thanks in advance for help and advise.

Have you tried just overclocking with CCC? I run dual monitors with an overclocked 4870 and I've never had any video corruption problems.

You have the same 4830 card that I do and I have the same issue. I think the issue isn't related to running dual monitors. I believe it is the fact there is NO cooling for the memory on that card! Since the memory can't dissipate any additional heat to a heat sink, you just can't overclock it.

What happens if you unplug a monitor? Are you still unable to overclock it? That will at least rule out dual monitors as being the issue :)

You have the same 4830 card that I do and I have the same issue. I think the issue isn't related to running dual monitors. I believe it is the fact there is NO cooling for the memory on that card! Since the memory can't dissipate any additional heat to a heat sink, you just can't overclock it.

No its definitely not that. With just 1 screen enabled, I can run almost up to 1100mhz on the memory. I stay around 1000-1040mhz generally but it works all the way up to 1080 with no problems. It's a known bug, if you are not affected you are really lucky. System specs?
The ram on these cards default speed is 1000mhz, ati clocked it down to make the card as fast as the price allows. They do not get very hot at 1020 at all, I can touch them and they are just warm.

What happens if you unplug a monitor? Are you still unable to overclock it? That will at least rule out dual monitors as being the issue :)

Both killing the overclock or disabling/disconnecting the second monitor and the system returns to normal. It may freeze up totally and require a reboot, but sometimes unplugging the second screen fixes it.

It's driver problems, I had the same thing happen with my 4850. And made a similar thread with no answers. Only what was happening with me was I had one monitor connected but for some reason the piece of shit was reading it as 2 monitors, so I disabled one in the catalyst controller and my problems were solved. You're just gonna have to wait I guess.

No its definitely not that. With just 1 screen enabled, I can run almost up to 1100mhz on the memory. I stay around 1000-1040mhz generally but it works all the way up to 1080 with no problems. It's a known bug, if you are not affected you are really lucky. System specs?
The ram on these cards default speed is 1000mhz, ati clocked it down to make the card as fast as the price allows. They do not get very hot at 1020 at all, I can touch them and they are just warm.
Both killing the overclock or disabling/disconnecting the second monitor and the system returns to normal. It may freeze up totally and require a reboot, but sometimes unplugging the second screen fixes it.

Whooa, that is very interesting. I run dual monitors on this system for one purpose only, when I do video editing.
Generally I wasn't too concerned that this card didn't overclock to successfully because it sceams on all my games at stock clock speeds and game settings maxed.
I have never tried OCing the card without only one monitor enabled. There is a new version of the Catalyst driver out, was planning on a driver upgrade, will disable the 2nd monitor and retry it.
My system spec is in my sig. I'm also thinking about a CPU and memory upgrade to a Phenom2 3Ghz and DDR2 1066 Mhz RAM. But this is primarly for faster video rendering.

I have the same issue with my 4850 crossfire setup. Even just enabling Overdrive can cause issues, even if the only thing I'm doing is setting the fan to 100%. Overclocking is fine with a single monitor.

Ok so everyone else pretty much has the same issue. Lets keep the thread alive in case someone related to ATi ever comes around!

I am on cat 9.5, newest drivers I think. Problem has existed since I got the card on 9.1 or 9.2.

Back