Can't Open IMGs (Recovered Files)

Seemund

Gawd
Hello,
I recently formatted a HDD, and then realized I forgot to save some Pictures.
I've tried many different softwares to recover the files and was finally able to recover them using "Active File Recovery".

The only problem is, even know all the files have the "correct size" (over 0kb), some files won't open.
I'm attaching a screenshot of the problem.

Thanks.

Open one of them in a hex editor and see what the first few hundred bytes are. Paste here if necessary.

Done.
Tried pasting here, but I think it was better to upload a pic...
This file is called park.jpg, and its size is 67kb.

I'd hazard to guess that file recovery was a complete failure based on that result from the hex code, it just ain't right at all. :( If more than one of those have similar patterns you could be out of luck.

Open a known good picture file in the hex editor and you'll see the difference with a good non-corrupt image file. Within the first 15 bytes or so you should see the file type, like JPG, JPEG, GIF, PNG, JFIF, etc... and obviously that's not there so it's pretty much corrupt.

If the drive where those images is still available and has NOT been put to some other use, you might have better luck with this app:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

See what it can do for you, might have better results for recovery. It's open source software as well, and I've had phenomenal success with it for a while now recovering data from all sorts of media for clients.

Can't hurt to try it I suppose.

Last edited:
Thanks guys,
I'm running PhotoRec, hopefully it will recover the files...

"Estimated time to completion: 39hours"

Lol!!

Good luck with it... it's worked in the past for me on some pretty severely corrupted hard drives and some "dead" media cards too but, it's not perfect and there are no guarantees at all of course.

Back