Can't name a folder "con" in xp

Elmo187

Limp Gawd
Does anyone know why you can't give a folder the name con in xp(maybe other OS's as well)? If you try, it just changes it back to the original name.

rcolbert

Gawd
'con' is a reserved word that stands for "console". Same reason you can't name a folder lpt1. Con is a valid place to redirect data to, so if you had a folder named con, the OS couldn't figure out if you were trying to move data to it or the console display.

ameoba

Supreme [H]ardness
Back In The Day, when using MS-DOS, I'd write short text files and batch files by saying "copy con somefile.txt"

edit : I wonder what kind of trouble you'd have if you made the dir using a non-MS OS like Linux...

rcolbert

Gawd
ameoba said:
Back In The Day, when using MS-DOS, I'd write short text files and batch files by saying "copy con somefile.txt"

edit : I wonder what kind of trouble you'd have if you made the dir using a non-MS OS like Linux...

You just gave me warm fuzzies about edlin and F6.

PTNL

Supreme [H]ardness
/flashbacks to time of writing batch startup scripts to configure memory for XMS or EMS based on what games i wanted to play

korpse

Limp Gawd
PTNL said:
/flashbacks to time of writing batch startup scripts to configure memory for XMS or EMS based on what games i wanted to play

AHHHHH not EMM386!!!!! I still have nightmares! :p

XOR != OR

[H]F Junkie
PTNL said:
Heh, I may still have my .bat files for doom and wing commander. :) Oh, and let's not forget xcom.

Ah, those were the days. They really knew how to make games back then, I'll tell you.

I had to bring down my bbs to play games, so needless to say I missed the first half of my day in class quite often. :)