Can't log in after disk clone

JackTheKnife

Limp Gawd
I did disk clone of Windowx XP Pro SP3 done with Acronis Migrate Easy 7.0 After everything Windows can load till log in window. When I put user and password everythings start to load (applying settings) but after a while I can see a message about closing connections and I get log-off. User profiles are stored in the Active Domain (I have propper connection to the AD with an old hard drive). What can be wrong? Thanks

I think that you have been kicked off your domain. I had a similar problem after I cloned my work laptop hard drive to a bigger drive. I had to get a desktop tech out to put it back on. I don't know what he did unfortunately.

Good luck!

Ive always had problems with cloning drives, I never have problems with making an image, then putting that image onto a bigger drive, might take an extra 10 min, but it works, plus then you have a backup

I read the description of the problem to mean it was new HDD's, not an entire new machine (since the 'old' drive works fine), if thats the case, you might have needed the Acronis universal restore option.

Have you checked that the partition with Windows on it is assigned the correct drive letter?

I heard that Acronic Migrate Easy was not good option - I should to go with Acronis True Image, but how can I clone a hard drive there without doing disk image (3rd hard drive or DVDs)?

you can store the image on another PC's HDD, you said 'Active domain', doesnt your domain have a file server?

pls answer the others' question :>
- did you clone the Windows install onto a new drive to be used in a new computer or did you clone the drive just to a bigger drive thats being used on the same hardware/computer ?

remove the computer from the domain by putting it in a workgroup and then rejoin it to the domain... or reset the computer account from aduc and see if that fixes it.

We still don't know exactly what you're doing.

Traditional Disk Cloning is used to upgrade a hard drive on the same computer, say you have your computer..and an 80 gig drive, and you want to replace that 80 gig drive with a new 250 gig drive...you'd clone it. No new hardware (well, except for the new larger hard drive). Or...for cloning, you can clone that image to other computers which are the same make/model computers...identicle hardware (after going through certain sysprep steps).

With traditional cloning methods...if you take that new hard drive, and move it to totally different computer hardware...like a different brand/model computer, the first time it attempts to boot up...it will often have a difficult time. Windows PnP will detect all new hardware, video, sound, chipset, drive controllers, network, various other things, etc. Sometimes it will boot up to a login prompt if the hardware is older or similar enough, other times...like a totally different chipset and drive controller...she'll simply blue screen every time.

This is where some cloning software that supports bare metal restores can help. Although honestly I still prefer simply moving data over itself, and keep the original Windows install on the new computer, install the programs you need..and then adjust things as needed.

remove the computer from the domain by putting it in a workgroup and then rejoin it to the domain... or reset the computer account from aduc and see if that fixes it.

winning reply right here. the image that the op is deploying has expired domain credentials.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

winning reply right here. the image that the op is deploying has expired domain credentials.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

It would give an error about the computers account. A clone to a new drive on the same hardware won't make the computers account go stale. Unless the source he used for this clone was some spare backup hard drive that sat in a drawer for several years.

He's still not giving us enough information.

It would give an error about the computers account. A clone to a new drive on the same hardware won't make the computers account go stale. Unless the source he used for this clone was some spare backup hard drive that sat in a drawer for several years.

He's still not giving us enough information.

agree, I still think it'll fix the issue though... I've seen it lots of times... also the SSID can cause problem with the login to the domain and removing/rejoining fixes that... First thing I'd try.

We don't know if he was plugged into the network at the time of login. If he wasn't, and he can't even log in with cached credentials away from the network...and if this is a business laptop where he doesn't have access to the local Administrator accounts password....and even if he did...and that closes out before he can log into desktop..even if it fails at safe mode....

We don't know, lacka infomashion!

I've done quite a few triple digits worth of cloning to newer replacement hard drives...I've never had a user account/computer account/SID issue. Never.

If he does have this issue..something was done wrong along the way, or he used some old backup drive with a very stale image.

And he should have removing/rejoining a domain done by the IT staff, end users shouldn't do that stuff on their own. I'm assuming he's not IT staff because of his choice of words "Active Domain"....probably meaning "Active Directory"

We don't know if he was plugged into the network at the time of login. If he wasn't, and he can't even log in with cached credentials away from the network...and if this is a business laptop where he doesn't have access to the local Administrator accounts password....and even if he did...and that closes out before he can log into desktop..even if it fails at safe mode....

I've done quite a few triple digits worth of cloning to newer replacement hard drives...I've never had a user account/computer account/SID issue. Never.

If he does have this issue..something was done wrong along the way, or he used some old backup drive with a very stale image.

And he should have removing/rejoining a domain done by the IT staff, end users shouldn't do that stuff on their own. I'm assuming he's not IT staff because of his choice of words "Active Domain"....probably meaning "Active Directory"

Well sure we could sit here all day and say we need more information. I am presuming the OP is acting as their own IT staff since he/she came here for help. In my experience using a GhostCast server, domain issues will normally manifest themselves in a textbox that says "x domain is not available blah blah" when the user tries to sign on. However I have also seen old images fail in other ways and wasted a lot of time trouble shooting it for what turned out to be expired credential problems. Currently after images are deployed where I wrok, we then run a task that removes the PC from the domain, reboots, then adds it back to the domain and reboots it again before they try to use it. This has cut our "I can't sign on!" issues down to almost 0 where they used to be a daily occurance. Many of our images are 90+ days old.

And anyway, everyone here could be wrong in the end and the problem could be something completely different :D

Last edited:

Like you I've never had a problem with a disk clone until a few months ago when I clone my work laptop hard drive and then couldn't connect to the corporate domain until a tech readded my machine from the domain and then everything was fine.

The OP's issue sounds very similar to mine so I thought I that would throw it out there.

usually when someone tells me their car won't start, I assume they put the key in it and tried to turn it...

"Currently after images are deployed where I wrok, we then run a task that removes the PC from the domain, reboots, then adds it back to the domain and reboots it again before they try to use it."

Your imaged PC shouldnt be 'on the domain' when its done, it should be on a workgroup, then you join it to the domain.
- Doesnt your image run sysprep?
I have images over 2yrs old that work fine

Back