Cant install windows 7 - asks for a driver?

jonneymendoza

Supreme [H]ardness
Hi all. i am trying to reformat and install win 7 64bit home premium on my mates pc and it doesnt allow me to install it because of the following error on the win 7 install screen:

A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disck, CD, DVD or USB flash drive, please insert it now.

I have the option to Browse, press OK or cancel.

I have been installing win 7 and in general loads of previous win 7 and i have never encountered this issue with drivers? i have even installed win 7 on a much older computer, a pentium 4 with no problem!

i dont know much about the specs but it has this mobo http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_Socket_754/K8VX_SE/#download

And a AMD 3400 sepron i think its called. PLus 2gb of ram, one cd drive, one DVD drive and two hdd's(All PATA connected).

Any advice? is it really a driver issue? i thought u can install windows now and drivers later?

Where can i find drivers and for what? the dvd drive?

Please note that currently there is win7 installed on it but my mate wants a reformat and fresh install.

Any advice? As stated before, i have never come across this issue and i have been installing OS's since 3.1!!!!!!!!!

You get that message in Windows or did you restart the PC , put the CD in the drive, boot to set up and then are getting the message? If you are getting it in Windows, boot with the setup CD and see what happens that way.

You need to update your HDD's firm ware if SSD. I had that issue with a OCZ drive a few months back. its been golden since then. if not then you need to find the chipset drivers for the mobo and run that first.

Based on what you're describing, it sounds like the two drives have been set up in a RAID disk array, and Windows is looking for drivers for the RAID controller so that it can see the array.

I'm surprised that Windows 7 can't find the drivers, I looked on the Via support website and it says that they're included in Windows 7. http://www.via.com.tw/en/support/tech_faq.jsp#win7 According to the Asus link you included in your post, your RAID controller is the VT6421, which is on that list.

If I was in your position, I think that I would be inclined to turn off the RAID feature and run the disks as individual disks. This can be performed in the BIOS - can't help you with that b/c all BIOSes have their own differences but the manual should be able to help you out if you can't figure it out. With separate disks you have a bit more flexibility in how you use your storage, or can perform backups from the system disk to the other.

I ran into this issue on an older (2008) Asus desktop. I was trying to install Win7 from a USB key - the issue went away when I installed it using a CD.

Back