cant install OS on my SATA hard drive

Golden_Salmon

Limp Gawd
I am trying to install Windows XP Pro on a computer that only has one 250gig SATA hard drive. Bios recognizes the drive, but the Windows disc does not. I hear this is because I need to have a disc that already have service pack one on it to support installing the OS on a SATA hard drive. If anyone else has had this problem or knows of possible solutions, let me know!

You need the SATA drivers for your motherboard on a floppy. You should be able to get them from the website of your mobo manufacturer. When Windows install starts up and it says press F6 if you need to install drivers, press F6 with the floppy with the drivers in your floppy drive. You should be able to load them. Good luck.

-zac

cool, I am gonna go look for them then. The drive came bare, is there anywhere to get the general drivers?

Golden_Salmon said:
cool, I am gonna go look for them then. The drive came bare, is there anywhere to get the general drivers?

You don't need harddrive drivers. You need SATA drivers for your motherboard. Look on your motherboard's website.

We should pass out T-Shirts and bumper stickers that say....

"Have you pressed your F6 key today?"

my motherboard did not come with the drivers I need for the device on floppy. I have an Asus A8V delux. I wanted to know where to get them or if there were general ones I could use. I cant get to usa.asus.com

Golden_Salmon said:
my motherboard did not come with the drivers I need for the device on floppy. I have an Asus A8V delux. I wanted to know where to get them or if there were general ones I could use.

For the THIRD time. Look on your motherboard manufacturer's website. www.asus.com. Look it downloads. NOT HARD.

-zac

I booted it and hit f6, selected the windows XP drivers for the device, but windows still didn't recognize any hard drives to install on. Do I need a copy of windows that has SP1 on it to make this work?

You don't need SP1. Usually, there are a few choices for drivers, if you scroll through the list (after hitting F6). Make sure your picking the right one.

I tried the one for Windows XP then I tried the NT one neither recognized the hard drive. I am certain I used the right drivers. I dunno what to do? maybe I'll make a new post for the new issue

The Mobo with my Asus has drivers for it CD>Floopy not hard.

I formatted the floppy and did exactly that, still doesnt work. I am new to SATA drives, so I may just be missing something. Do I have to set anything special?

~you can delete this thread, I posted a new thread now that the problem has changed, thank you

Back