Cant install new drivers? (5.1 live)

The Titan

Ownage brought to you by Dr Pepper
You know how creative has the "latest" drivers on their website...

I downloaded the installer and instead of installing it decides to throw up some random unnecessary error about it cant find the card when the goddamn thing is already installed on the system and is active as i type. I know this isnt the first time this has happened, and that others have suffered this. I cant really find the thread the other case was in.

I am trying to upgrade the drivers because the speakers on this machine make static and other noises while games are on. Funny that when music plays its fine. Any suggestions appreciated.

Do you have the cd drivers installed first? They updated drivers are only updates and require the original drivers to be installed first.

Yes I have the CD ones installed. The drivers I am trying to upgrade to are stand alone, independent. Maybe I should try an upgrade or something. think that'd work?

Yeah try the originals with the updates rather then the standalone, i've seen people have better success doing it that way.
just to clarify; is this the budget oem sb live? or the audigy oem?

Wow. The goddamn upgrades dont even work. What the hell.

I cant have the latest driver...

I cant believe this, only whats on the disc works? I have an older card in my main system and it works with EVERYTHING. What the fuck?!

Is there any way around this? This card IS installed, I wouldnt be trying this if it wasnt. I am gonna kick this piece of shit.

Its funny, but this static bullshit only happens in games. Dunno if I said that above but thats what happens...

I really hope that my live 4.1 in my main system isnt the last of what I consider the good soundcards from them...

Music plays fine on it. Sometimes game sounds are fine, and other times, they have this "gurgle" to them...Thats my issue.

I am going to search again for another thread on this same subject, I saw one back a time ago. Any suggestions welcome.

Check the drivers under the device manager. Are they really creative's? or were they the ones that came with windowsXP? I've had issues where creative's drivers "installed" but didn't actually change anything. See if you can reinstall, and manually pick an updated driver.

Other than that...if you can find one of those hacked audigy drivers, I'm pretty sure those will work (My bro's using the audigy 1 drivers on a SB Live OEM). I heard they have sound improvements even down to the live. Not sure where you can download them anymore though. I'm sure someone here's gotta have them stored somewhere. I have the original audigy driver set to use with the live, but not the audigy 2. PM me if you can't find the audigy 2 and I'll send over what I have.

Well, I couldn't find the hacked audigies online, but try these KX drivers.

http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/index.php?skip=1

Kinda like the Omega's to Video Cards. :)
Lemme know if they work, and if they change the sound quality at all.

Edit: I found some hacked drivers, but they're in chinese. :eek:
http://www.mydrivers.com/dir64/d25979.htm
Use any one of the mirrors at the bottom.
These are audigy 2 drivers ONLY for the live. You'll still need to install the aps from the CD.

If the mirrors go down, lemme know again, I grabbed these drivers as well.

God why cant this just be fucking simple and work. Its creatives driver. I used the CD that came with the card as thats the only thing that worked, and still does.

I guess I should just give up, because I get good sound from music and everything else, just a couple games seem to have issues... dunno... maybe its environmental effects or something. Think that could be it?

If by manually you mean clicking the installer, then yes. By issues I mean some games like max payne 2 and eve have this sort of static sound crap accompanying the game sounds. Its really very annoying and very unacceptable. This is my secondary machine that this is happening on. Not being able to mess with the drivers like this is going to hold that machine back. It plays music just fine, windows sounds, just fine, hell even some other games it plays just fine.

On my main machine when I click the installer for a new set of drivers, it does does it, none of this fucking error crap, but then again my main systems sound works perfectly.

The Titan said:
If by manually you mean clicking the installer, then yes.

Umm, no that would be the automated install routine.
Not to mention redundant.... cause you already said it didn't work.

Use an archiving utility (like Winrar) to extract the files from the downloaded executable Point the device manager update driver wizard to the location you extracted the files to and you should be good to go.

i'd like to second the kx driver project
www.kxproject.com
Now they don't offer all the 'features' that creatives drivers do (like EAX support) but they are more stable. I have yet to get my hands on my own SB Live Value for some sound quality testing, but on the computers I've installed them, they do work nicely. Perhaps a little strange--they bypass much of windows sound controls--but they work well enough. It is a slight adjustment.

You can also try Driver Cleaner
http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/
This will help you get a fresh install of the drivers without having to reformat/reinstall windows. My Audigy 2 ZS got pissy (under winxp) not to long ago. Uninstalled the drivers, booted into safe mode and ran driver cleaner, reboot, reinstall and the problems 'magicly' disapeared :rolleyes:

hope this helps

Back