cant get past 3.52 w/ 3ghz why ?

v_lestat

Gawd
ok i've done all i can on my end and now i turn this over to you gents.

ive tried everything underthe sun for this damn system to boot past 3.52 ghz and it wont do it.
i thought all this time it was the infineon ddr400 i have but nope thats not it, cuz today i got my 1 gig of ocz el gold pc4000.
right now im stable and running at
235mhz fsb = bus speed of 940 mhz
dram freq @ 500mhz
dram voltage - 2.7
cpu v - 1.585
CL timings are 3-3-3-6-8 but for some reason CPU-Z sees them as 2.5-3-3-6-8 (anyone know if the bios or cpu-z is correct ?)
cpu speed 3524.3 mhz or 3.52 ghz

cpu is a ES D1 revision Intel Pent 4 3.0ghz HT (the multiplier is not unlocked on this es, why ? i dont know, at least according to everything i have its not unlocked)

ive tried ddr at 333 400 and 500 and nothing i do will let me go higher than 235 fsb.

is this the limitation of the motherboard ? or the cpu.
i can t imagine the cpu is stopping at 3.52. even when i set the multiplier at 14 instead of 15 it still wont go past around 235mhz fsb. since i cant get past that mark with the fsb i have a feeling my poor neo2 fis2r is crippled somehow or hurting.

im about to get real pissed at something but i dont know what to be mad at.

id like to start with the mobo, but heck,, only other thing i have is an intel 875P and there aint no overclocking an intel, i wish clockgen could do it, but i dont think it can correct?
id try CPUFSB but that program is about as stable as balancing an egg on the head of your pecker.

anyways the stage is your fellas. HELP!
if anyone cares, i'll trade this msi neo2 fis2r and the intel 875P for an ABIT IC7 MAX 3

Vcore 1.6V-1.7V no more or less........
Vdimm 2.85V or max...
Vagp...2 notches
Relax your ram timings to 3-4-4-8
Set your divider to 5:4 and let it rip.........
If you want to go higher, just cool'em n crankem........Update your bios to the latest..

GL

henessey alert huh ? gotta love that name lol

ill give those settings another try even though i already have.
i never was good at learning the 3:2 5:4 settings. so can yu clue me in what 5:4 is for this rig. i mean 1:1 lol thats obvious.

and with an 8x agp card upping the voltage in the bios does ZERO. the cards only run at 0.80 so upping it 2 notches doesnt do anything.

and the OCZ EL Gold PC4000 according to the website is guaranteed to run stable at 3.0v , crazy they would guarentee their ram for that high of voltage lol.

but ill give it a try and see what happens.
without trying another cpu or mobo is there any way to tell if the cpu or mobo, which one, is holding me back.
or even if its the SATA messing things up.

at 3.6ghz the system boots but locks 1/2 way thru the XP boot screen, just a few seconds after the mouse initializes. but Linux also bombed out too. with what looked like memory errors. ie memory address read errors.

just FYI if you are chaing the multi on a P4 (non Xeon) it is un-locked, thats what un-locked means for intel p4 cpus.

i can only change the multiplier down not up.

ok heres the shitty news.
at Vcore 1.7 the system wont even post. it powers on and all devices power up but the system wont post. <-- that right there astounds me, but again i have no clue if this is the limitation of the motherboard or the cpu.
ok but at 1,6 it runs fine.
Vdimm is now 2.80
Vagp is 1.5 or 1.7 either one makes no difference boot wise.

i had to move the jumper and reset the bios, i then went in and cleared the nvram to make sure, rebooted, went back, loaded bios defaults, rebooted, reconfigured everything and left the Vcore at stock 1.5v
PC4000 now running at 400mhz and FSB is 235 this equals 3.52ghz
im in linux right nwo cuz i forgot to change my boot order, and this booted first , lol.

also just a heads up, and maybe you can tell me for sure on my thinking.
if i have SATA enabled the AGP/PCI lock is working, if i DO NOT enable SATA in the bios. the AGP/PCI lock is DISABLED. i would have to assume that this means it has a hidden SATA lock also. which would lessen the chances that the SATA is causing the issue.

im going to reboot, and run memtest86 from the floppy, and if it starts puking out all kinds of memory errors.
well, what do you fellas think, ? bad ram,, ? motherboard cant handle a FSB of 235mhz and its causing the memory controller/memory bus to bomb out causing memory errors?
or just flat out this 865PE NEO2 FIS2R is just fooking crap.
again i cant imagine the cpu is the issue but hey,, it wouldnt be the first time.

*edit*
i dont think its the ram simply because my Infineon ddr400 did this same crap,, wouldnt go past 3.52ghz, but again stranger things have happened

ok now im peeved.

the DDR wont go to CL3 its a CL2.5 ram but the bios lets me set it to cl3 but cpu-z and memtest86 both say its 2.5

memtest is failing bigtime on tests 1-3 - 1 is 1's and 0's 2 is i forget and 3 is 8 bit cached.
all three are failing, like 36,671 failures
i only waited until test 6 but 4 5 and 6 went ok. those are 32 bit tests except for 6 which is a data chunk move.
ok so what gives, will the OCZ EL Gold Rev 2 PC4000 not go down the CL3 ?
seems messed up if it wont.
so,, ddr or mobo.
man im sorry for flooding my own post but the limitations of my hardware knowledge dont extend this far, ive never really had the need for the knowledge until now.

i did lower it before but that was with the old ram,, i thought i had did it with the ocz though,, guess i was a little frazzled yesterday,, and after the AMD 64 fiasco i went thru yesterday man im all pc'd out today gunna veg out on some xbox, see how high i can get in burnout 3

Back