Can't get out of SLEEP Mode!!!

Rustynuts

[H]F Junkie
My daughters PC has gone into a perpetual sleep mode, even with hard power button off/on, completely unplugging the PC and waiting etc. It simply turns on into sleep mode and nothing will wake it. I'm not there so I'm having to get youngsters to mess with the hardware. This is a Win 7 PC with wireless mouse and wired USB KB. I've already tried to remove and replace the wireless mouse receiver into a different USB port to no avail.

How the heck does it stay in sleep mode without power!?! If I was there I'd pull the button battery as well to reset BIOS.

Supposedly this is WIN 7's fault with some setting. Once I get back control, I can try this hopefully

This is probably due to the Wake Timers. Wake Timers are a component that programmers can use to wake an idle system and peform a routine function.
Prior to Windows 7, the user had no control over this.
Windows 7 gives the user the option to disable or enable the sleep timers.
If you wish to change this setting.
Open Control Panel.
Select the All Control Panel Items option.
Select Power Options.
Click Change plan settings in the selected plan.
Click Change Advanced Power Settings.
Click the + sign next to Sleep.
Click the + sign next to Allow Wake Timers.
Select the Disable option.
Click Apply / OK.

Have you tried starting up in Safe Mode? Are you seeing anything when you restart the computer (i.e. BIOS, Windows Logo, etc.) and then it goes into sleep mode or does nothing show at all?

Nothing shows, PC just powers directly into sleep mode, black screen even after unplugging PS for 1/2 hour. Also tried powering on with wireless mouse receiver unplugged. No dice. No POST, no nothing, just fans turn on and mouse/KB unresponsive.

Doesn't sound like sleep mode to me... sounds like a hardware issue. Maybe video card is bad. If power was unplugged, it's definitely not sleeping. It should be trying to do a full boot but not successfully. Try unplugging the ram and video card (if not onboard) and reseating. Does the hd light flash when powered on as if the os were loading? Maybe the pc is actually "ok" but a bad video cable or monitor?

Doesn't sound like sleep mode to me... sounds like a hardware issue. Maybe video card is bad. If power was unplugged, it's definitely not sleeping. It should be trying to do a full boot but not successfully. Try unplugging the ram and video card (if not onboard) and reseating. Does the hd light flash when powered on as if the os were loading? Maybe the pc is actually "ok" but a bad video cable or monitor?

Or in my situation, I had a Lenovo T61p laptop that was prone to video chipset overheating. Sometimes the damn thing shut down in the middle of a client presentation. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Back