can't get into windows setup

Duster

Supreme [H]ardness
ok i have a new SN84

athlon 64 3200+
hiatache (sp) 160 ide harddrive (not formated)
sony dvd-/+ rw 510u

kingston 2x512 3500
saphire ati 9600xt
and windows xp pro

ok it boots up and i can get into bios and all but when it says boot from cd, so i hit enter or something then it just stops. It will spin up the cd and change the screen and then just spins down the cd. it will not go into the windows setup. The cd works to boot in another computer, tried a different drive, different vid card, dif ram (just one, two, different slots) and still it will not boot from the cd i have also tried different hard drive and changing the setting son the back. tried to start setup on other computer and finish on this one but it just will not boot.

also tried harddrive with windows on it to see if it would boot but it wouldn't it just sits there
have checked boot orders in bios

it how ever will boot from windows 98 se, it goes to were u choose boot from cd, boot with cd rom support stuff till it says a: and then i switch cd's and try d:/setup but it says it will not run under dos

i am at a loss, am i looking over something??

oh one thing is the when i have the kingston ram in it says 3200 speed but i figure that it might just be a bios setting i not found yet

any help thanks

edit: wanted to post this in mainboard forum but did it here by accident so if a mod or something would be so kind to move or something thanks

I had this happen on an older system of mine and all I had to do was update the bios. I would check that first. Not that you should need it but you never know. :)

Originally posted by Muir
I had this happen on an older system of mine and all I had to do was update the bios. I would check that first. Not that you should need it but you never know. :)

I'd try resetting the BIOS first =P.

did you try a boot floppy that then runs the cdrom? These are mostly for systems that are very old and cannot boot off the ide bus.
And your question about pc 3500 ram, that bios option is called overclocking ;). The 3500 means that it is capable and guarenteed to run at 433 mhz ddr. Since i guess the default bus is 400 mhz ddr, the ram will run at that speed defaultly. But if you oc the proc 16 mhz, the bus will be at 433mhz ddr, so although i supposed you killed the warrenty on your a64, the ram will still be guarenteed to run stable at that speed.

i haven't killed any warrenty, yet. i have not changed any default settings except dealing with trying to get it to boot. i am going to rma it, have done everything i can think of and a few of my friends too but still nothing.

Back