Cant get into any microsoft sites

wesleys_dad

[H]ard|Gawd
my wifes computer will not connecy to any microsoft sites...msn homepage yes but no sites like anything directly to corporate...its vista sp1 and as far as i know its all of a sudden....2 other computers connected to the same router will connect fine...ive checked security settings and reset them, dropped the fire wall...i security center says it cant open and ive gone through internet options and all settings are at default..
I need to know if this sounds like a virus as now she is using my computer for some tasks and this is my pride and joy...
she works for a public school and does work from home remotely by vpn....
no windows update works either..its like its totally blocked as when you go to connect to a microsoft site it instantly pops up cannot connect to site,check internet connection and so on but all other sites seem to work fine....amy ideas or is it reload time.....

Have you deleted all the cache/cookies on the system?

Manually go clean the temp folders as well or use something like CCleaner.

Is this IE7 or 8?

IE7 and i used the disk cleanup to clean all files out but i did not delete cookies....

DNS poisoning perhaps? Try manually setting your DNS servers to 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.3 and seeing if that helps.

DNS poisoning perhaps? Try manually setting your DNS servers to 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.3 and seeing if that helps.

+1

I never use my ISP's DNS servers, I always use those two stated above, they are sprint's open DNS servers anyone can use them.

+1

I never use my ISP's DNS servers, I always use those two stated above, they are sprint's open DNS servers anyone can use them.
Is THAT who runs them. All I know is that someone told me the IPs a LONG time ago (at least 6 years), they're easy to remember, reliable, and fast. Given how much everything Comcast touches sucks, it's been a no-brainer for me.

Is THAT who runs them. All I know is that someone told me the IPs a LONG time ago (at least 6 years), they're easy to remember, reliable, and fast. Given how much everything Comcast touches sucks, it's been a no-brainer for me.

Ya I remember the Comcast DNS fiasco about 5 years ago, I've been using those ever since! LOL

No I seriously doubt it's conflicker worm, because it doesn't do anything yet, it's just waiting for more instructions from it's creators.

+3 Conficker

Conficker will block access to windows update along with many anti malware sites. Check the network & security thread for removal links.

It sounds like Worm:Win32/Conficker. Do attrib C:\windows\system32\*.* | findstr S, see if you find a random named dll there...

http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Entry.aspx?Name=Win32/Conficker

Another trick is to copy notepad.exe to mrt.exe and run it. If notepad immediately dies, odds are good you have Conficker.

If you confirm it's Conficker, http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx can help you remove it.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

I just saw a post on digg saying Nmap will also show if you have conflicker, try downloading the new version of nmap and scan your pc

Back