Can't get drivers to install after BIOS flash... ideas?

Viper87227

Fully [H]
I've been running my cards with an MSI bios for a while now, to remove the Overdrive cap. However, I've been running into issues with using Afterburner, but without it I get the stupid flicker shit from the cards downclocking too low in 2D mode. So, I figured I would use RBE to hard change the 2D clocks. I made the BIOS, and they flashed fine, but afterwords, I cannot get drivers to install properly. They appear to install fine, but then my computer hangs when rebooting, and I'll get a BSOD either during booting windows, or shortly after getting into the OS. I tried going back to the MSI bioses I backed up, but I'm getting the same results trying to install a driver. I think its a windows thing, I don't think it has to do with the cards themselves since the driver installs without error. Anyone got any ideas? I'm on a clean install of W7 (as of a week ago, had no problems installing a driver the first time)

You can't change clocks using RBE only unlock shaders. Also I tried adding a custom fan profile and it doesn't work. The clocks are controlled by the drivers and you will bsod if your card doesn't have the right clocks. You CAN use a bios from a pre vendor overclocked card and then use afterburner from there but be carefull as many of the pre overclocked cards are custom designs with custom PCB's etc...

Is this a flash on your 5850's

Bleh, I'm running into the same thing with the XFX 6970 (rev 1.1 unfortunately, so no switch on it to switch BIOS back to stock that way) that I bought. I have a Swiftech MCW82 (and matching 6970 HSF for the RAM, VRM's, etc.) on it and so effortlessly overclocked it to the max (950/1450 IIRC) that I decided to uncap it with RBE, but unfortunately after flashing I BSoD upon trying to boot Windows. Worse yet, I haven't as of yet had any luck in attempting to flash back to the stock BIOS (that I of course saved) - when trying to, I get a 'cannot erase BIOS' or something to that effect from atiflash (in DOS) or atiwinflash (in Windows with the video driver disabled from Device Manager). Hopefully I figure out how to re-flash at some point because right now the card is essentially a paperweight since I can't actually use it with the AMD drivers. :p

As a followup to my own problem, I did manage to reflash the stock BIOS back after many trials and tribulations. After some reading I found that shorting two pins on the BIOS chip may be necessary on newer cards (meaning those without the switch) to enable BIOS writing, and I found it odd that this would be the case for me considering I obviously already did flash once no problem, but I figured it was worth a shot even though it's obviously a royal PITA to pull the card, waterblock, etc., just to get at this and short those two pins with a conductive pen I have. :)

Even after doing that, I still couldn't get it to write for some reason until (and this is now consistent behavior - go figure :p) the third try using Atiwinflash via RBE. No amount of the DOS-based atiflash or atiwinflash directly with any set of parameters I passed them would successfully flash. Even with RBE, the first try gives an obscure error about the card not being found, the second try gives a 'write fail' error, and it finally ultimately works on the third try. I don't even pretend to understand but I won't complain since my card is back in business, if still capped at 950/1450. ;)

As a followup to my own problem, I did manage to reflash the stock BIOS back after many trials and tribulations. After some reading I found that shorting two pins on the BIOS chip may be necessary on newer cards (meaning those without the switch) to enable BIOS writing, and I found it odd that this would be the case for me considering I obviously already did flash once no problem, but I figured it was worth a shot even though it's obviously a royal PITA to pull the card, waterblock, etc., just to get at this and short those two pins with a conductive pen I have. :)

Even after doing that, I still couldn't get it to write for some reason until (and this is now consistent behavior - go figure :p) the third try using Atiwinflash via RBE. No amount of the DOS-based atiflash or atiwinflash directly with any set of parameters I passed them would successfully flash. Even with RBE, the first try gives an obscure error about the card not being found, the second try gives a 'write fail' error, and it finally ultimately works on the third try. I don't even pretend to understand but I won't complain since my card is back in business, if still capped at 950/1450. ;)

You can use software to overclock further, e.g. msi afterburner an allow you to go beyond the driver limitation. Through bios flashing in RBE you can't change clock values, only voltages, for a 6970. Anything else will cause a bsod until you flash back. The driver will not accept any modifications beyond voltage tweaking. What I'd do is look into a stable voltage to overclock but keep in mind you'll always need to use a 3rd party software to go beyond 950mhz on your core.

I use a modded asus bios with a voltage of 1.295 and shader unlock to reach my overclocks. I use asus smart doctor overclocking range enhancement which allows me to go beyond the driver cap for my cards. You can do the same. Can you post a link to the exact 6970 you have?

Back