Can't get any linux-based firewall to run!!!

gta95

Limp Gawd
I have tried both Clark-Connect and IPCOP, and whenever I set them up, there is no way to figure out how to tell the difference between which adapter is setup as the RED or GREEN adapters. Then, If I do figure out, the system won't connect to the internet. I set it up to DHCP just like I have it with my Linksys router, and It still won't connect. Its driving me nuts!!!

Are both adapters the same? If so, if you log onto the console with root, run "ifconfig". This will show you the MAC addresses of each interface. The MAC should be printed on each card. Your other option is to connect both interfaces to the internal network. You should be able to get to the web interface. Then, unplug on and see if you can still navigate the web interface.

i dunno about the others, but with endian, you actually have to turn the firewall on in the web conifg. it's default to off. it caught me up a little first time i used it.

if you have everything installed right, local machines should at least be able to get a dhcp address and connect to the web interface.

i started configuring the system by setting it up with only green connected to the box. that way, the card that shows "no link" in the config is your green interface =)

Do you have cable? Are you remembering to leave your cable modem unplugged (powered off) for at least 15 seconds prior to hooking it up to a new device? Also, if that doesn't work make sure everything is plugged in correclty, log into the Web based page for your Linux Firewall and look for a "Connect" button and see if it recieves an IP.

Almost every network related problem is addressing, what is the addressing scheme/DHCP setup you have established?

LoStMaTt said:
Do you have cable? Are you remembering to leave your cable modem unplugged (powered off) for at least 15 seconds prior to hooking it up to a new device?

I'll bet that's the case...he mentioned the Linksys was setup to obtain auto...so guessing it's cable internet, hence the modem has the MAC of the Linksys memorized. Power off the modem for a few minutes so it' forgets the Linksys MAC....power it back on while connected to the red NIC of your *nix box.

LoStMaTt said:
Do you have cable? Are you remembering to leave your cable modem unplugged (powered off) for at least 15 seconds prior to hooking it up to a new device?

This is the same problem I had once. And this is what fixed mine. Your cable modem probably still has your Linksys' MAC cached.

Back