Can't get a simple PPTP connection to work. (Cliffs at bottom)

InorganicMatter

[H]F Junkie
Surely this isn't hard, please tell me I'm missing something stupidly obvious:

I've got a Linksys RV042 VPN router. I've enable PPTP support, added a user, and set up a VPN connection on the client, pointed it to the IP, dialed in, logged in, and it says I'm in. I know the client is in, because I can see the connection in the router's GUI. When I try to browse the network on the VPN'd client, all it says is access denied, I'm not allowed into these resources. I can't see any computers, I can't connect to them by typing \\computer, nothing, I always get access denied. What's up?

Cliffs Notes:
VPN router
Connect via PPTP
Says connected
Can't access any network resources
Help?

You're not going to be able to browse the "other" LAN without using the domain controllers DNS. You need to use the DC's IP, and suffix, in your VPN adapters TCP settings.

If it's just a peer to peer network on the other end..meaning no domain controller, you're out of luck.

For VPNs it's best to use IPs anyways. Connect via IP to remote desktop or VNC or shares. You don't want netbios traffic, clogs up the pipes too much and isn't really useful for a VPN tunnel.

Shares you need to get access to through the VPN should be made static, give them a reservation.

Doing the old poor mans WINS..using the host file, can get name resolution to work if you need it..but in all honestly, using IP just keeps it simple, and it always works.

Your local network that you VPN "from"..such as home, needs to be on a different IP range than the network you VPN "into"..such as the office.

Meaning, if you left the office at the Linksys default 192.168.1.xxx...you can't have 192.168.1.xxx for your home LAN. Make it different, like 192.168.2.xxx or 192.168.0.xxx or 10.1.1.xxx, etc.

Umm...wow, that's way more complicated than what I'm doing. All I've got is a simple home network workgroup with one of those vpn routers. I've got a laptop with Verizon mobile broadband that I'm trying to dial into my workgroup with. Nothing complicated, no DC, no AD, just KISS.

Ok peer to peer network then...how many of those PCs do you need to remote into?

Even if you want to KISS...you cannot avoid the fact that both networks NEED to be on separate IP schemes. If you have network A at 192.168.1.xxx, and network B also at 192.168.1.1...and you VPN from A to B...and you make a request which requires the resources of 192.168.1.101...your router is going to go "Well...WTF..which way do I go George?"

Ultravnc. Free, efficient, and supports filetransfer if you use MS Logon authentication. No need for a complicated VPN setup.

Back