Can't find replacement Noctua fan (noice reduction)

amrogers3

Gawd
Trying to replace two fans, motherboard fan and case fan.

Case fan: ad0805lx-a70gl, trying replace with a Noctua to reduce noise.

AD0805LX-A70GL: length 80, width 80, height 25, voltage 5V, current 0.23A, 2 pin

Problem is, the closest I can find is a 4 pin, Noctua NF-A8 5V PWM but I only have 2 pins

Tcarx50.jpg

CPU fan:

Do you guys know if there is a replacement for this type of fan? I can't find a compatible fan to replace it.

739oc4B.jpg

PehNaSK.jpgg5HaHUN.jpg

they dont make 2 pin fans.
pull the fan off(3 screws between blades) and look for a p/n under it. if there isnt one look for a 35mm vga fan.

Reactions: Nobu
like this
You'll want to remove it and measure the diameter of the fan and screw spacing, then search for chipset fans. Look at their specifications/datasheet and find one with matching dimensions.

You may have to cut and splice the old fan's connector onto the new fan.

For the case fans, google indicates that model is an 80x25mm yes? Then I would get a pair of NF-A8 PWM in chromax black or if you need 5V, the NF-A8 PWM 5V (for which I do not believe there are any chromax variants). Most non-redux Noctua fans also come with extension cables and low noise adapters which cut the max speed of the fans.

For the mobo fan, the smallest Noctua makes is 40mm, but if you remove it from the frame then you might be able to make an NF-A4X10 5V fit and work for your needs. Those come with a 3:2 pin adapter. Some of the 12V 40mm fans also come with a splicing kit for fan wires. Otherwise, I agree with pendragon's splice recommendation.

For the case fans, google indicates that model is an 80x25mm yes? Then I would get a pair of NF-A8 PWM in chromax black or if you need 5V, the NF-A8 PWM 5V (for which I do not believe there are any chromax variants). Most non-redux Noctua fans also come with extension cables and low noise adapters which cut the max speed of the fans.

For the mobo fan, the smallest Noctua makes is 40mm, but if you remove it from the frame then you might be able to make an NF-A4X10 5V fit and work for your needs. Those come with a 3:2 pin adapter. Some of the 12V 40mm fans also come with a splicing kit for fan wires. Otherwise, I agree with pendragon's splice recommendation.

Yes, it is 80x80x40. AD0805LX-A70GL: length 80, width 80, height 25, voltage 5V, current 0.23A, 2 pin

Thanks for the recommendation brother, much appreciated!

Looks like it comes with adapters: https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-A8-PWM-Premium-Quiet/dp/B00NEMG62M

I'll check that NF-A4X10, thanks again for the great recommendations bud.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Looking back over the post, if you are concerned about splicing cables then Noctua (as probably several other vendors) sells a SATA to 4 pin power connector https://noctua.at/en/products/accessories/na-sac5

I also have some old molex to 3 pin and molex to 4 pin fan cables in a box and those are probably still around. I think the A8-FLX might come with such an adapter, but I'm not sure. Still, if you have either SATA or Molex from that computer's psu, then with such a cable you could avoid using the motherboard fan header entirely unless its bios will go nuts for not having a fan plugged into the header.

The fan on the motherboard looks like a standard 37mm fan. They aren't really made by DIY companies like Noctua though, but you can get generic ones if the fan is failing. There are other sizes of this fan, but it looks to be 37mm.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/182164276128

The fan is attached to the heatsink with 3 screws under the fan blades, you can see two of them poking through in the picture in the OP. If you unscrew all three, the fan should lift out and there should be a part number on the bottom to match it up or cross reference to a different fan of the same size.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Looking back over the post, if you are concerned about splicing cables then Noctua (as probably several other vendors) sells a SATA to 4 pin power connector https://noctua.at/en/products/accessories/na-sac5

I also have some old molex to 3 pin and molex to 4 pin fan cables in a box and those are probably still around. I think the A8-FLX might come with such an adapter, but I'm not sure. Still, if you have either SATA or Molex from that computer's psu, then with such a cable you could avoid using the motherboard fan header entirely unless its bios will go nuts for not having a fan plugged into the header.

Very interesting Teeny, thank you. I think it might have an extra SATA, I will check. Didn't know about the SATA to 4 pin, that may be a better option in case I dont have a SATA connector.

If I can hijack my own thread, how do you power fans in series that use these type of connector? I think these should be able to replace the Tripplite rack fans. These says 12 dB.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FQLHCXL/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A2AW0W4FKP16S5&psc=1
Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at 12.55.19 PM.png

The stock ones scream at 50 db.

Really appreciate the infos, thank you :)

If I can hijack my own thread, how do you power fans in series that use these type of connector?

You mean in parallel. If you put the fans in series, they'd get the voltage of the source divided by the number of fans and probably not work. Two fans would give you 6v, 3 fans would give you 4v, 4 would give you 3v, etc.

Not sure what size barrel connector that is, but there are splitters like these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M7N3T54

You need to be absolutely sure that the power supply you're using can power all of the fans though, else something might go bang.

Thanks GB, yep, meant in parallel. Why would something break? Wouldn't it just not be able to power all the fans?

BTW, checked that MOBO fan. The label reads 12V but when you look it up, it says 5V. Also, says it measures 40mm. Not sure what to do, I dont have a meter to check the voltage. Noise is at 20.6 dB.

If the one you linked will work, it has a dB rating of 17 dB.

img_5440-jpg.414588

Attachments

• IMG_5440.JPG
    IMG_5440.JPG
    367.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Yeah, looks like a custom run of the mf40101v2-1000U-a99, which is a 40mm 12v fan (but has a full shroud). You'll probably have to get it from whoever made the heatsink, or from some supplier in China.

Alternatively, you could cut/break some of the fins and put a square fan with some spacers to lift it up a bit or cut slots in the frame, or cut the whole frame out and tape/glue the fan down.

Thanks GB, yep, meant in parallel. Why would something break? Wouldn't it just not be able to power all the fans?

Overloading cheap wall warts is like playing Russian Roulette, you never know when it will explode. Some supplies will cut out if overloaded, but some will keep trying to restart and end up sending nasty voltage spikes on the output. Some will just explode or burn from not having any sanity checking on the output current, they'll just keep going until the mosfet/transistor goes thermonuclear. Just add up all of the amperage draw of the fans you plan to power and add a bit to that for safety.

BTW, checked that MOBO fan. The label reads 12V but when you look it up, it says 5V. Also, says it measures 40mm. Not sure what to do, I dont have a meter to check the voltage. Noise is at 20.6 dB.

Sunon has a ridiculous number of variations of fans, sometimes with almost identical part numbers. It's common for them to have a fan design with multiple models that run at different voltages. I'm sure there's one like that which runs on 5v, but that one is probably 12v like it states on the label. If you need a cheap multimeter, you can get one at Walmart for $20.

Hey guys, wanted to post a follow-up. GiGaBiTe, that fan would have been perfect but I didn't realize the original fan had a weird pitch.

The SUNON MF40101V2-C01C-A99 37MM 12v has a pitch of 20mm-26mm-26mm. I couldn't find anything that has the same pitch. Before I throw in the towel, just wanted to reach out one last time.

The pitch is probably referring to the Y tab length on the bottom of the fan, these are usually pretty standard. But you can get the exact same fan on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZJNWYQZ

The pitch is probably referring to the Y tab length on the bottom of the fan, these are usually pretty standard. But you can get the exact same fan on Amazon:

Yes, the space between the tabs is the pitch, the spacing between the tabs is not the same.

Apologies, I wasn't clear. I was trying to get a quieter fan, this sucker spins up and is pretty loud.

IMG_5441.JPG

Back