Can’t find my NAS by name on new network

CompuDrew

[H]F Junkie
I am using a Synology DS216Play connected to a switch which is connected to a an EERO Pro 6 router (provided by Frontier).

I can see and explore my Synology NAS by IP but not by name. The NAS is also accessible through the internet via connect.to.

After switching back to FIOS from Spectrum, none of the PC’s in my house (all WIN10) can access my NAS by typing \\NASNAME in windows explorer. I can, however, access it by typing \\ipaddress.

Old modem/Router: Netgear Nighthawk AC1900
New modem/router provided by Frontier: EERO Pro 6
When I first got the FIOS I had to change the IP on the NAS because the EERO uses a different IP than the Netgear did. That allowed me to access it by IP. The NAS is set to a static IP.

The EERO router does see the NAS and shows the NASNAME as connected.

Without success, I have tried:
Restarting EERO
Restarting PC’s
Restarting NAS
Adding an IPV4 reservation in the EERO for the Synology
Changing the DNS in the NAS to the EERO DNS manually

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

This is a common problem with windows shares that goes all the way back to win95. This has to do with the name resolution that is done not with DNS (I believe it is WINS). You can set a system to the WINS resolution server, or maybe on the nas or maybe on the router, but generally this is hard problem to completely fix because windows generally will either work and not work without much rhyme or reason. Hence why most of us use the IP address for any access to systems/devices on our network as it completely bypasses the issue.

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate your responses. I will continue to use the IP.
You're welcome. I actually forgot that you can use a name until this thread since I've been using IP now for over a decade, lol. I've actually standardized IPs across my various sites, so like .5 will always be a printer, .7 always a server, etc.

Or we run a DNS server at home to both avoid windows derp derp, and be able to find the printer without going to .7, :D

Or we run a DNS server at home to both avoid windows derp derp, and be able to find the printer without going to .7, :D
But then you have to set up the names to IPs. :D Pretty easy to remember .7s are printers.

Back